What’s the best area in Thailand for expats to settle for long-term living?

6 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Difficult to get to. In the event of a medical emergency, death is often the end result.

Nice beach but very overcrowded and the longtail boats have polluted the bay.

I walked inland towards the cave and there were piles of trash everywhere.

Now it is not an option anymore, but back then when I was climbing every day almost, it was a paradise, and less longtail boats and less tourists. The diving spots was still healty, and it was a great place to kayaking for a whole day around the islands and visits untouched beaches with alsmost no garbage on them. You cant find places like that anymore, they are all gone. Maybe in Mayanmar there is still places like this, but who wants to go to Mayanmar? 

57 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I can't say I had any issues november to February with the climate there. Very little rain at all post rainseason. 

The good thing with Koh Phangan it is a very diversed island with different climates and water quality climate from one side to another depending on the season. For a healthy young retired there is alot to do, fresh air and good quality with very little pollution. 

And have hospitals close by within range and no traffic. 

Still I would have a insurance including helicopter ambulance transfer if I was living there permanent.

Still as I have said many times, when I get older I want options, and not gamble on one location only, because we do not know how the future will be. 

To many rely on status q, and the world will not change.

Interesting that you mention hospitals as that was my next question🙂.

I agree in full that hospitals not too far away is important as I am getting older and maybe will need one. I understand from you mention helicopter that the hospitals there are not the biggest or best.

2 minutes ago, Captor said:

Interesting that you mention hospitals as that was my next question🙂.

I agree in full that hospitals not too far away is important as I am getting older and maybe will need one. I understand from you mention helicopter that the hospitals there are not the biggest or best.

Bangkok and the bigger army hospitals around in Thailand, will always have better equipment and drˋs than smaller hospitals on the Islands. As well having a heli rescue insurance covers you all over Thailand and the world depending on your terms. 

• Haha 1

Quite liked the beaches in Rayong, south of Pattaya- Laem Mai Phim and Mae Ram Pheung. Quiet, miles of sand, good for walking, sunsets. Not much nightlife, but you can scoot up to Pattaya in less than an hour when the mood strikes.

On 9/12/2024 at 4:53 PM, Hummin said:

I know Pattaya vedy well, so I do not understand why you always want to convince others you have an better opinion of what is best for others 😄

No Pattaya do not have great kayaking, hills, fishing, diving or freediving, and K forgot hiking and trekking in the jungle. Neither do Pattaya have quiet beaches and beach front bungalows

I visited KP about 2 months ago, with a view to resettle there (I lived there about 2.5 years ago at Ban Chaloklam).

Wow! How it has changed in that short time.  Just 1 big building site, rent prices hugely increased, and what seems like half of the Russian population living there.  I left in disgust...

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I visited KP about 2 months ago, with a view to resettle there (I lived there about 2.5 years ago at Ban Chaloklam).

Wow! How it has changed in that short time.  Just 1 big building site, rent prices hugely increased, and what seems like half of the Russian population living there.  I left in disgust...

I was there 21-22 and it might have been some changes since then when it comes to russians. But overall, everywhere you have been, there is changes, no matter how you look at it. 

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I was there 21-22 and it might have been some changes since then when it comes to russians. But overall, everywhere you have been, there is changes, no matter how you look at it. 

I settled in Khao Lak, no Ruskies there!

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Expensive there? i went just before the tsunami which killed 2000 people. At the time lots of Swedes and Germans. Remember to run up hill if you hear sirens 

Not expensive for me.  I live 'in the hills'. 9,000 baht/month for a brand new 'studio' house in a garden, with a mountain stream just metres from my door.

As for the beaches, plenty of people swimming in safe areas. I don't recall hearing of drownings, (unlike Karon/Kata beach in Phuket).

Edited by simon43

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Not expensive for me.  I live 'in the hills'. 9,000 baht/month for a brand new 'studio' house in a garden, with a mountain stream just metres from my door.

As for the beaches, plenty of people swimming in safe areas. I don't recall hearing of drownings, (unlike Karon/Kata beach in Phuket).

In Khao Lak they brush over the fact 2000+ people died there, prefer to pretend it never happened

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

a paradise, and less longtail boats and less tourists. The diving spots was still healty, and it was a great place to kayaking for a whole day around the islands and visits untouched beaches with alsmost no garbage on them. You cant find places like that anymore, they are all gone.

Try Raja Ampat.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Try Raja Ampat.

Moved back to Norway, and getting a place up north for healthy lifestyle and fresh resources. Freish air, cold water Fish, , crabs, squids, shells, mussles berries, mushrooms, wild animals, all for free and cheap land to invest in. 

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/inspiration/destinations/best-beaches-in-norway/

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Moved back to Norway, and getting a place up north for healthy lifestyle and fresh resources. Freish air, cold water Fish, , crabs, squids, shells, mussles berries, mushrooms, wild animals, all for free and cheap land to invest in. 

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/inspiration/destinations/best-beaches-in-norway/

Sounds good, but a bit cold for many.

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Khao Lak they brush over the fact 2000+ people died there, prefer to pretend it never happened

Well, they have memorials in Ban Mam Khem and the navy boat memorial right in the middle of Khao Lak, so they are hardly 'hiding' this natural disaster.  I think Thais prefer to look forward, not back. (As a tourist police volunteer years ago, I laid wreaths at that navy boat during the annual 26th December ceremony).

I think many more than 2,000 died in Khao Lak ...

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, they have memorials in Ban Mam Khem and the navy boat memorial right in the middle of Khao Lak, so they are hardly 'hiding' this natural disaster.  I think Thais prefer to look forward, not back. (As a tourist police volunteer years ago, I laid wreaths at that navy boat during the annual 26th December ceremony).

I think many more than 2,000 died in Khao Lak ...

Nearly come the full circle, Simon. So, the location of Laos on the left is out of date. Hard to keep it up to date I suppose 😊

20 years anniversary this year.

Edited by Old Croc

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Nearly come the full circle, Simon. So, the location of Laos on the left is out of date. Hard to keep it up to date I suppose 😊

20 years anniversary this year.

Yes indeed! I must update my location.  I left Laos because the burning season was doing my lungs in, wanted to return to Phangan, but it was a mess, stayed in Koh Lanta for a few weeks, but the call to prayer and ever presence of 'black crows' made it a depressing place. My ex's offered  to look after me in Phuket, but I prefer to keep them at arm's length, or at least at 90 minutes drive away.  The house I've rented in Khao Lak seems a fair enough place to stay - I need to stop moving about!!

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No. By reading your previous posts, of course. Now you may have learned something from the info I gave you, but seems doubtful.

You have really been helpful, and many others who live in Pattaya who I have met during my more than two decades in Thailand, and also visiting as well living shorter periods in Pattaya. Also visiting and use all venues as well travelling with motorbikes in the near area, I would choose Hua Hin over Pattaya any day if I had to. 

I have many years experience with Pattaya since  I used to go Koh Larn for paragliding and before that Kite surfing at Jomtien.

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yes indeed! I must update my location.  I left Laos because the burning season was doing my lungs in, wanted to return to Phangan, but it was a mess, stayed in Koh Lanta for a few weeks, but the call to prayer and ever presence of 'black crows' made it a depressing place. My ex's offered  to look after me in Phuket, but I prefer to keep them at arm's length, or at least at 90 minutes drive away.  The house I've rented in Khao Lak seems a fair enough place to stay - I need to stop moving about!!

I seriously considered moving over the bridge a while back, but instead decided on a completely new lifestyle in Loei.  The jury's still out if I made the right choice.

Just sold the villa in Phuket so no returning there.