Tourism Minister Aims to Levy 300-Baht Fee for Visitors

webfact

How will they track what goes to the government and what goes into the pocket of the immigration guy who collects cash? Better to collect via electronic payment or credit cards only.

Then the immigration police will say. "Well, that didn't work, did it?"

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Spock said:

It's the principle of the thing. What is the money going to be used for and why should tourists traveling on a budget be discouraged? It takes all types to travel. If you think the 300 baht is going to be used to be directed to the tourism areas of most need I reckon you are fooling yourself. Thailand gets plenty of tourists compared to other countries in the region which are not applying such a fee. Totally unnecessary in my opinion.

I agree with you there.  But that's a valid complaint about VAT, the upcoming income tax, and the existing taxes on flights.   A lot of the money's going to feed corruption.  TIT.

What I don't believe is that an $8.50 increase in the cost of a $2,000 holiday is a deal killer for 99.+% of tourists.  That's less than half a percent.  Or that it can't be collected transparently without causing queues and inconvenience.   Those are straw man arguments by people who just don't like tax increases.  Who does like them?   It'll just be another line on your airline ticket.

They'd be better off to just implement it quietly, and I doubt that any would have even noticed the difference.

• Like 1

Verbal manure again; like the taxation of pensions. 

The money you take away from the visitors, be it arrival tax or pension taxation, will be missing in the private industry of Thailand, the SMEs all over the place. 

In essence the government steals from its own people as the latter will have less revenue. In addition to all this it clearly marks that visitors are only welcome if they throw in 300 Baht during their first footsteps in Thailand. 

How they want to manage that - will remain a challenge. Either huge queues in front of moneychanging booths of banks or the Ministry of Finance will have to convert rupees from various countries, Won from both North and South Korea and Ngultrum - which would be Bhutan. Credit cards - well - that takes time again so better enlarge the arrival areas tenfold and tell tourists, that getting through the governmental highway robbery will take them hours 8-) 

What an idea, business is dead, hotels and restaurants are empty - apart from the cheapest market segment and they think about stealing money from their own people! 

Greed tax pure and simple. There is already 500-600 baht tax remember years back leaving the machines. This was later push on to the airlines which when  one purchase a ticket on line will see the tax / fee then as noted it was brought up over a year ago half claim for health insurance in which later only 50 baht would go towards.  Then they got resistence from airlines cause they wanted them to collect.

I glad pay it if it was to benefit the people, better schools, better hospitals, better infrastructure, sewer water, electric plant, instead the leaders get rich scams.

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It was abolished, it comes again, there is new investigation needed, it will be done, it will be dismissed again, ...and so it goes on and on..and all fake reasons to milk the money from tourists.. And I am wondering if Thais, living abroad must pay too, or are as usual Thais exempted from this scam?? The tourists are paying a lot of tax already without they know.. example the wines are extreem expensive, same as imported beer, and everything else that comes from outside Thailand..Entrance fees for foreigners are also much more than for Thais and in hotels they pay tourism tax already. Why not raise the tourism tax for hotels with 1 % or so? Hotels will a bit more expensive, but the revenue is much higher and people don't get the idea to get scammed.. However the hotel prices are already very high compared to European places, but a tourist on holiday will pay it ..All problems solved and the extra income of the tourism tax can be used for all plans they have to fill their pockets

...., "However the hotel prices are already very high compared to European places," !?!? You didn't go to a hotel in Europe for a long time, it seems !!

6 hours ago, impulse said:

If $45 makes the difference in a family of 5's choice of vacation site, they're not likely to move the needle with their vacation spending. 

One of Thailand's problems now is over-tourism in many locations.  That puts off well heeled travelers.  Thailand needs to upgrade the quality of the tourism, not the number of bodies.

They've been trying to do that for years but seems the well heeled don't want to come to a Country where they  are likely to be Electrocuted by Hanging Wires, robbed for having a decent Watch on their wrist, get killed on so called 'Pedestrien Cossings' by lunatic drivers, falldown uncovered/broken Manholes, negotiate Pavements (where there even is one) taken over by Lamposts, Telephone Boxes, Trees, pIles of Rubbish or the Encroachment of Street Traders and their Equipment and when they are tired of all that they can go to a National Park and get charged four times as much as a Thai for looking at Trees and Flowers !

Meanwhile; we are ensured by certain Thai Politicians past and present that Thailand is already a 'Developed Country'.    Pull the other one Somchai !

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

Wasn't this money supposed to be used for health insurance fees for foreigners? Isn't that what they first touted it as? Now, it disappears into the black hole of "infrastructure development."

So, A scam by another name!

Thailand is just following what others are doing.  As an American if I travel to the EU I will need to pat a 7 Euro fee.  if I travel to the UK it will cost me 10 pounds to enter.  The 300 baht fee is in line with these fees.  The big question is how will they collect the fee.  With the EU and UK fees I would need to go online and pay it in advance.  I don’t see how Thailand could implement this type of system within the time frame they are considering.

• Like 1

As we all know it will be reversed..don't know why its such a topic....almost like they feel they are charging 3000 baht with all the flip-flopping..its chicken feed for tourists..but it would deal with the gofundme circus - at least for a while.

Would it deter a single tourist travelling...nope..just roll it into the airport fee etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, off road pat said:

...., "However the hotel prices are already very high compared to European places," !?!? You didn't go to a hotel in Europe for a long time, it seems !!

If that is what you think....I slept in beautiful hotels the last 3 years for less than 1700 euro for 3 weeks so  make it 3250 THB a night

Just now, freedomnow said:

As we all know it will be reversed..don't know why its such a topic....almost like they feel they are charging 3000 baht with all the flip-flopping..its chicken feed for tourists..but it would deal with the gofundme circus - at least for a while.

Would it deter a single tourist travelling...nope..just roll it into the airport fee etc.

You're right....schoolboy error...this is only Tuesday's policy....doh!

7 hours ago, Rolo89 said:

I went to Turkey once. Had to withdraw some cash from an ATM at the airport to pay for some kind of tourist visa / passport sticker.

Was the last thing I wanted after a long flight with all that messing around and a long line to first get cash then line up to get a sticker like cattle.

I've never been back to Turkey. 

But I'd pay 300 thb (as a tourist) in advance to get a pre-approved visa and pass through immigration quickly. That kind of implementation works as you're getting something for it. 

But you are paying it, the 300baht was put on the ticket price years ago, to save going to the booth to get your exit sticker.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I fly in from China.  Typical $250-350 R/T.  I don't know what a business ticket from Europe costs, but I imagine it's around $5K R/T.   

Post Covid, the airfares from China are half what they were.  The downside is limited flight selection and no non-stops from my town.  I've slept in a few airports when there was no transit hotel.

If you do not know what  Business Class from Europe costs, then why did you post this..........About the same as one business class ticket from Europe.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If you do not know what  Business Class from Europe costs, then why did you post this..........About the same as one business class ticket from Europe.

I used to know...  But that was years ago.  The landscape has changed.  Better to confess ignorance than throw out a number and have that become the topic.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand's newly appointed Tourism Minister, Sorawong Thienthong, is set to revive the previously shelved 300-baht tourism tax, aiming to enhance tourism revenue to at least 3 trillion baht this year.

"I believe the collection of the tourism fee benefits the tourism industry, as the revenue can be used for infrastructure development and ensuring tourist safety," remarked Thienthong, who took office recently.

The tourism tax proposal, initially approved by the cabinet in 2022, mandates that foreign arrivals by air will pay 300 baht, while those entering by sea and land will be charged 150 baht. However, the scheme has yet to be endorsed via publication in the Royal Gazette.

Thienthong stated that the ministry needs more time to assess the system's readiness before deciding on implementing the tax within this year's final quarter.

The minister emphasised that the collection procedure would be finalised in a manner that does not discourage tourists. He is also keen to continue the "Ignite Tourism Thailand" initiatives introduced by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, which include developing entertainment complexes, aviation hubs, and second-tier cities.

"We will encourage the private sector to invest more by offering incentives, such as tax breaks," Thienthong added, referring to plans for new man-made attractions and promoting second-tier cities.

Tourism stimulus programmes, similar to the successful We Travel Together co-payment scheme for hotel rooms and air tickets during the pandemic, may also return to ensure income distribution to locals.

The upcoming high season events, like marathons, Loy Krathong, and the New Year countdown, are anticipated to boost revenue to the target of 3 trillion baht from both domestic and international markets.

The minister remains committed to the long-term goal of achieving 3 trillion baht from foreign markets alone within the government’s four-year term. Additionally, he supports the idea of hosting a Formula One motor racing event in Thailand, suggesting a street circuit on Ratchadamnoen Road to reflect the country's unique character.

Thienthong also addressed concerns about price-dumping tours, stating that while the number of illegal companies might not have increased, the economic losses are potentially greater.

He has ordered authorities to curb such activities. To discuss tourism policies further, Thienthong will meet with 20 private tourism operators, including the Association of Thai Travel Agents and the Tourism Council of Thailand, soon, reported Bangkok Post.

TOP File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-17

news-footer-4.png

image.png

Benefit the tourism industry 😤 Benefit the brown envelope brigade more like the greedy 🐖🐖

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

"I believe the collection of the tourism fee benefits the tourism industry, as the revenue can be used for infrastructure development and ensuring tourist safety,"

Good.  It's a tiny fee, and that should at least help fix the roads repeatedly torn-up by the Tour Buses.  Better yet, build a street-car or similar system, and force the Buses to park at the end-terminals of such.  I know about the Pattaya train, but that is overkill.

They should also earmark part of this fee to cover any foreigner's unpaid hospital-bills.  They claimed that was some huge problem in the past - proposed this to pay it (~20-Baht per-each would be enough for that) - but then started making OA-Visa entrants pay for Thai insurance, instead of following through with the original proposal.

As a bonus, maybe this will act as an incentive to stop harassing border-bouncers, since each bounce will generate more govt-revenue - in addition VAT-taxes and other revenue which they already spend into the private sector.

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

It may not be a great deal of money, but if people are on tight budgets and they have other choices available this is not a smart move.

it's equivalent to a couple of cups of coffee, no right minded tourist is going to refuse to visit thailand for such a small amount. many countries levy entrance/exit tax on tourists, it's really no big deal. but if you feel strongly then go visit a country that doesn't tax tourists.