New Rules Restrict Street Vending to Low-Income Thais Only

webfact

I'd surmise that the majority of Thais engaging in street vending don't rub shoulders with the Shinawatra clan, their buddies, or the Thai HiSo communities. Now regarding the 300K cap on income.  That sort of would require Thais to file taxes and from my experience out here in Native Thailand?  Most Thais in that sociology-economic category don't file taxes. And then if the Shinawatra clan, their buddies, or the Thai HiSo communities wanted to run a string of Thai citizen proxies and pay them slave wages to run street vending stalls - well look at Teflon Tony kids - Who Is Gonna Enforce the law?  My guess is the law will be used as an excuse to shake-down street vendors who are on the margins of income and society.  Remember - This Is Thailand!  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, smedly said:

so if you are successful as a street vendor and make good money you must stop trading , what sort of logic is that ?

It defies logic, doesn't it, but?  TIT!  :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In a response that has stirred both applause and dissent, new regulations from Bangkok city officials state that only low-income Thais can now set up street vendor stalls. Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt signed the new rules, which exclude migrant workers from participating in one of the city’s most vibrant sectors.

These controversial regulations, enacted by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), mandate that eligible vendors must be Thai nationals with specific economic standings.

To qualify, vendors must possess government welfare cards, be paying off National Housing Authority properties, and receive welfare allowances from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. Crucially, their net income after business expenses must not exceed 300,000 baht annually.

“This policy targets supporting low-income Thais and enhancing public spaces,” explained BMA spokesperson Aekvarunyoo Amrapala.

Additional rules restrict each vendor to a single Thai assistant and impose rigorous adherence to public health standards. Vendors must also ensure pedestrian pathways remain clear, requiring between 1.5 to 2 metres of unobstructed walkway based on the street’s size, reported Thaiger.

Further specifications state that stalls can measure no more than 3 square metres and must be positioned with a 50 centimetre gap from the road for safety. There must also be a 3-metre emergency exit gap for every 10 stalls, as reported by the Bangkok Post.

These measures are set to be published in the Royal Gazette and will take effect soon after.

In related developments, Governor Chadchart outlined plans to further regulate street vending. The aim is to monitor vendor income, enforce tax adherence, and eventually clear pavements of hawkers, making the environment more orderly.

With both supporters and critics vocal about the new rules, the future of Bangkok's famed street vending culture hangs in the balance.

TOP: File photo

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-20

news-footer-4.png

image.png

Would they rather that non-Thais who are really poor become criminals?  Malign policy.

Chadchart ran on a platform that promised to allow the return of the vendors, who of course have great support among all the people except the rich. It's obvious though that his intention is to stamp them out in response to complaints from real estate developers like Srettha that they're an eyesore that makes it more difficult to sell their luxury condos.

Street vending has always been a safety valve for poorer Thais. If they lost their jobs or needed extra income, they could always go out and sell things in the street. I know several people who have full-time jobs who sell on the weekends.

Now they'll have to limit themselves to night markets and things like that, which will make it much more difficult for them. And although vendors can be an annoyance, it isn't that hard to regulate them. It's just that the police extort money and then let them do what they want.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thai logic

The Unbearable Lightness Of Thai Logic

Two plus Two equals Five
Therefore
Two Hundred THB plus Two Hundred THB equal Five Hundred THB
(฿400 in revenue and ฿100 in a brown ✉️ for 👮‍♂️🚔)

4 hours ago, smedly said:

so if you are successful as a street vendor and make good money you must stop trading , what sort of logic is that ?

Its quite smart actually although the amounts of income should be adjusted up a bit. If you're successful then you should be able to use a stall inside somewhere. If the govt were smart they would set up off street lots and let these vendors use them rather than the side walks. The appearance would be much better for the city streets and help the vendors at the same time. That bill does address the over abundant sidewalk usage by vendors, in many areas its outta control, just like to scooter taxis using the sidewalks as their personal stands. 

3 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Street vending has always been a safety valve for poorer Thais.

Well stated - Exactly :thumbsup:  It provides an outlet to allow those Thais on the margins of society a way to earn.  I know many Thais who works jobs and then at night or on the weekend will run a vending stall somewhere in a minor or major city.  It provides additional income.  If anyone doesn't believe that Thais are generally hard workers - at least those in rural Thailand who are Boomers, Gen-X, and Millenials (the younger folk are unfortunately a different animal: think - "yaba") - then think again. 

Given the current economic problems in Western countries like the US, if people were allowed to set up street vendor stall nowadays I believe they would to help make ends meet.  However, unlike in my lifetime when I was a kid who did run "Lemonade Stands," in today's over-regulated Western nanny-states it's generally illegal to do so without so many permits and inspections and taxes that it would be next to impossible to make a profit as a street vendor. With that said, Thailand look like it is taking steps to over-regulate this source of income for Thais as well.  Push impoverished Thais further into poverty and watch what happens.  Hell, there at two lines in "Chaat Thai" that expressly states what would happen. 
"Thais Love Peace - But....."

Cross posted from another thread.

"If those street vendors work as self employed and take the standard deduction of 60% of sales as costs, that 300k per year maximum income can easily be doubled, assuming they can sell the volume (and many do). 50k a month for net income is at least three times the average national wage. Tax deductions for the self employed are effectively a government subsidy (and it used to be a 80% deduction!) except few realise that".

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

This is what it is about in reality. The government does not care about the unworkable rules of positioning, safety gaps, etc. They are only interested in getting people registered so they can grab tax off them. No different to every other country, grab tax as much as they can.

That's paranoia taking over, relax

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Governments are forever greedy parasites on our backs. I really do despise them.

Agree 100%. It just keeps getting worse too. In the U.K. now they are going to try to do away with the tax free allowance. So you will pay tax on every pound you earn.....:sad:

9 minutes ago, itsari said:

That's paranoia taking over, relax

No my friend, it is not paranoia, Governments world wide are trying to get digital id, CBDC, no cash, so they can milk the people for every cent. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AhFarangJa said:

No my friend, it is not paranoia, Governments world wide are trying to get digital id, CBDC, no cash, so they can milk the people for every cent. 

On a selfish note I have nothing to fear.

I think that applies to a very large percentage of retired people living in Thailand.

So I stand by my statement that it's paranoia setting in.

Perhaps there are a small percentage of people living here in Thailand that have a risk of having to pay tax on their income from abroad.

They will still have some left so all will be ok 9 am sure

Restrict Street Vending to Low-Income 

That's a bit of a Laugh , that means that  most likely more then 50% will have to go. Not going to happen I think.

As for Space and Road and Footpath Clearing I am all for that.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In a response that has stirred both applause and dissent, new regulations from Bangkok city officials state that only low-income Thais can now set up street vendor stalls. Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt signed the new rules, which exclude migrant workers from participating in one of the city’s most vibrant sectors.

These controversial regulations, enacted by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), mandate that eligible vendors must be Thai nationals with specific economic standings.

To qualify, vendors must possess government welfare cards, be paying off National Housing Authority properties, and receive welfare allowances from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. Crucially, their net income after business expenses must not exceed 300,000 baht annually.

“This policy targets supporting low-income Thais and enhancing public spaces,” explained BMA spokesperson Aekvarunyoo Amrapala.

Additional rules restrict each vendor to a single Thai assistant and impose rigorous adherence to public health standards. Vendors must also ensure pedestrian pathways remain clear, requiring between 1.5 to 2 metres of unobstructed walkway based on the street’s size, reported Thaiger.

Further specifications state that stalls can measure no more than 3 square metres and must be positioned with a 50 centimetre gap from the road for safety. There must also be a 3-metre emergency exit gap for every 10 stalls, as reported by the Bangkok Post.

These measures are set to be published in the Royal Gazette and will take effect soon after.

In related developments, Governor Chadchart outlined plans to further regulate street vending. The aim is to monitor vendor income, enforce tax adherence, and eventually clear pavements of hawkers, making the environment more orderly.

With both supporters and critics vocal about the new rules, the future of Bangkok's famed street vending culture hangs in the balance.

TOP: File photo

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-20

news-footer-4.png

image.png

So that’s about 85% of the Thai population then. 🤷🏼

6 hours ago, twizzian said:

Can you honestly earn 25k per month on a food cart or selling second hand clothes etc

I saw, on Thai TV a couple of years ago, an 'on the spot' interview with a female street vendor who told the reporter she grossed around 30k per day every day selling clothing. The reporter expressed doubt but the woman boasted it was true.

It is well known that many Thais don't pay income tax despite being liable. The revenue department dont have the resources to get them registered and make tax returns. 

5 hours ago, CallumWK said:

So what's the problem?

The new rules mean that actually everyone can be a street vendor, since very few will exceed the limit.

no problem I'm just curious why the government put their limit at 300k as "low income". Others seem to agree this is BS.

7 hours ago, Purdey said:

Een heel nieuw blik wormen. Inkomsten meten? Laten we eens naar je bankrekeningen kijken. Laat ons de bonnetjes zien van wat je hebt verdiend.

Niet meer dan 300.000 Baht per jaar? 

"Schat, ik ben thuis! Raad eens, ik heb dit jaar 310.000 Baht verdiend!" 

Politieagent steekt hoofd door raam.

"Wij nemen uw kraam in beslag, omdat u meer verdient dan een arm persoon." 

Hoe je mensen arm houdt: 101.

Oh, you think they deposit their money into a bank account?

That would be very stupid, this is not a western country where you are almost forced to do everything through a bank.

6 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Would they rather that non-Thais who are really poor become criminals?  Malign policy.

NANA should become interesting a few shops that are definitely not Thai

Also, I have a feeling that some of these shops are owned by one group and have people selling their products.