How often do you get your ACs cleaned?

scubascuba3

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yeah, I guess it is a crap shoot.  Had mine cleaned recently one of them now makes a click click noise for about 15 mintues when I turn it on.  I called the cleaning company and they said it would eventually stop.  That was 2 months ago.

We have clicking noise from one AC. Turned out to be dirt build-up on the fan blades.

17 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I met this tall intelligent Chinese guy. He told me to use 3M filter sheets during burning season. Is anyone doing this as well?

Yep…

23 hours ago, novacova said:

We use pre filter sheets, it keeps the ac’s pretty clean for an extended duration.

17 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Yes. Filtrette by 3 M, cover two thirds of the air intake screen only.

It needs full coverage to be effective 

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

Yep…

It needs full coverage to be effective 

No! If you cover the entire screen, you place extra load on the compressor as the Filtrette becomes more heavily contaminated and you run the risk of icing. At a minimum, it increases your electricity consumption costs.

Our condo has 4 air cons.  As of last month, they are all now inverter.

We had been cleaning them every 6 months.  Going forward, we've decided to clean them every 4 months.  

Why?  The unit in one of the bedrooms was not installed exactly right and the runoff pipe tends to clog between around the 4 or 5 month mark, causing leaking water onto the bedroom floor.

Proper cleaning every three months by service company. Monthly cleaning by replacing the pre filters from 3M and wash the screens. We have cats inside the house, hence the short interval. You won't believe how much dust and hairs stuck in the screen. Even with twice daily floor cleaning 

17 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

No! If you cover the entire screen, you place extra load on the compressor as the Filtrette becomes more heavily contaminated and you run the risk of icing. At a minimum, it increases your electricity consumption costs.

Yes! Never had a problem with using pm2.5 pre filter sheets as we keep them clean and has absolutely zero effect on the load, been using this application for years. But if one doesn’t maintain common household hygiene then of course it would be a concern. 

Yes! Never had a problem with using pm2.5 pre filter sheets as we keep them clean and has absolutely zero effect on the load, been using this application for years. But if one doesn’t maintain common household hygiene then of course it would be a concern. 

3M India says:

"Our lab test data shows that when the AC filter is used as recommended, i.e. covering about 70% of the air inlet area, the airflow reduction is small (10 – 15%).

As the airflow decreases, the exit air temperature would infact further decrease slightly, which would help cooling, not reduce it.

Overall, if the AC filter is used as recommended and replaced frequently, its impact on cooling is minimal. Do let us know if we can help you in any other way."

8 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

3M India says:

"Our lab test data shows that when the AC filter is used as recommended, i.e. covering about 70% of the air inlet area, the airflow reduction is small (10 – 15%).

As the airflow decreases, the exit air temperature would infact further decrease slightly, which would help cooling, not reduce it.

Overall, if the AC filter is used as recommended and replaced frequently, its impact on cooling is minimal. Do let us know if we can help you in any other way."

You’re using 3m which does restrict air flow. We don’t use 3m, we get our sheets from a retailer in cm @ ~฿1000 per sqm

You’re using 3m which does restrict air flow. We don’t use 3m, we get our sheets from a retailer in cm @ ~฿1000 per sqm

Well, the discussion was about 3M Filtrette, which is 3M's brand name product!

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

4 years now and no gas added, as long no leaks, not necessary 

Google search

The refrigerant gas in the air conditioning system is not consumed or used up with normal use. The refrigerant simply circulates through the system, without fading or depleting. Unless there is a leak in the system, there is no need to recharge the refrigerant gasA common belief is that refrigerant gas runs out over time and therefore needs to be recharged. However, this is incorrect. The refrigerant gas in the air conditioning system is not consumed or used up with normal use. The refrigerant simply circulates through the system, without fading or depleting. Unless there is a leak in the system, there is no need to recharge the refrigerant gas.

https://www.climamarket.eu/blog/en/is-it-necessary-to-recharge-the-air-conditioning-in-your-home/#:~:text=The refrigerant gas in the,to recharge the refrigerant gas.

Yes, a popular trick by the guys is pretend they are topping up, 200 baht from several customers adds up. My guys got caught out when i talked to the boss

On 9/20/2024 at 11:45 AM, novacova said:

Depends how often the unit is used and how much dust and smoke particles it collects, I check the fins when the filters are cleaned. We use pre filter sheets, it keeps the ac’s pretty clean for an extended duration. It’s been three years since the last one was cleaned.

The outside compressor  gets pretty dirty too if you look closely, do you clean that?

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Whenever I stay in a hotel the first thing I do is ring reception and ask for a filter clean

Ha ha ha 

Yes, they send up the massage lady.

It's always cleaned orally. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The outside compressor  gets pretty dirty too if you look closely, do you clean that?

Yes, absolutely.

At least two times per year. The professionals must do this job. We pay each time 500-600 Baht for complete cleaning and maintenance by professional team. They have all the equipment required, including water compressor and refrigerant pressure gauge. 

20 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Yes, absolutely.

At least two times per year. The professionals must do this job. We pay each time 500-600 Baht for complete cleaning and maintenance by professional team. They have all the equipment required, including water compressor and refrigerant pressure gauge. 

Guys who clean themselves seem to only clean the indoor filters 

On 9/20/2024 at 11:52 AM, BKKKevin said:

Have them all done annually... Complete spray clean and gas topup... Same local guy I've worked with for years... Never a problem... Accept once when one had a fault that turned out to be a gecko trying to mate with a motherboard... Not a pretty sight... ;-(...

I'm located in Chiang Mai...

Don't need a Gas top up  For at least 10 years if one hasn't got a Leak.

Just look at a car AC  works the same  my car just got  a  check and and a mini top up after 11 years .

2 hours ago, novacova said:

I assume the filters you mean? During the smoke season weekly for the filters. If the interior of head and fins are clean then it’s not a bother. 

My god! No I don´t mean the filters. Ask any hotel as an example? Also, we have bought numerous of aircons, all the shops recommend 3 month cleaning cycle. As I say, if you don´t clean and are okay with that, just go on.

I've had the four ACs in my for over 15 years now. I get them cleaned once a year. The only problems I've had with them were with the remotes, not the actual AC itself. 

13 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I've had the four ACs in my for over 15 years now. I get them cleaned once a year. The only problems I've had with them were with the remotes, not the actual AC itself. 

Modern ones are probably much quieter, I couldn't believe how quieter my new TCL inverter was vs 12yo Samsung

• Thanks 1

It's good to check the screens on the inside units every month and clean them if they are dirty.  You can vacuum or wash them.  Also check the coil on the outside units and if they are dirty you can hose them off if possible.

Twice a year is usually good for having the units serviced.  If you are having problems with the condensate line clogging up then maybe more often.

Now I have found a 2 man team who cleaned it for 400b no BS about it needing gas, and it hadn't been cleaned for years except for me doing it, I'll probably get it done twice a year.

On a side note I have sometimes smoked inside that room, and the guy told me it was clogged with smoke. or to put it in his words ''Bu-ree mak mak''