Thai Baht Exchange Rate So Low How Are You Dealing With It?

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Simple. Earn income in Thai baht. 

This is why I chose an educated woman and not a bargirl. Extra 100,000b a month is a nice addition with no exchange rate worries.

Working girls are making more than 100k

But I digress, me personally, I am the provider....  That's the way I prefer things.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Simple. Earn income in Thai baht. 

This is why I chose an educated woman and not a bargirl. Extra 100,000b a month is a nice addition with no exchange rate worries.

When I saw the destruction caused in the North and North-East I thought about all the expats who are married to bargirls, and the amount of money they will be spending on house and car repairs.

• Haha 1

Is the Boht overpriced on USD?  Look at the ten year average USD/Baht rate:  33.20.  Yes, it is now overpriced.  And look what USD did yesterday vs Viet Nam Dong—it bounced up—not down like in Thailand.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me too, when it was 45-47 I built up a 6 month reserve.

I did that with GBP to THB be kept in my Wise THB account, so that I can still send the required amount for Retirement Extension each month.

14 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

With the Thai baht the lowest exchange rate in over a year. I am curious how other expats are dealing with their monthly budgets. In my case had planned to buy a motorbike. Anything below 30 baht to the USD dollar everything outside survival comes to a stop. 33 to 34 baht to the dollar I can deal with that.

I guess I was fortunate having moved here, I had no intention of sitting around going to seed, so built a small business for the family of 5 when the Baht was @ 70 to the £. It will never make us rich, but keeps the wolf from the door and I don't have to transfer money very often. So the exchange rate going up and down does not bother me.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

Is the Boht overpriced on USD?  Look at the ten year average USD/Baht rate:  33.20.  Yes, it is now overpriced.  And look what USD did yesterday vs Viet Nam Dong—it bounced up—not down like in Thailand.

Yeah it's just this overseas tax thing to become real and there really is almost only Pro's about moving to Vietnam for 6 months a year.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

First the taxing of foreign pensions etc...now the over high THB. For those who can, no point in grumbling. Relocate to other Asian countries or even India who are far more welcoming to foreigners and tax free and far less visa hassles or xenophobia towards westerners.

To be fair, Thailand is pretty chill on visas. I've been coming and going for a couple of years without visa: no problem. It's almost like there ain't any border for foreigners. 2-3 months in Thailand, 2-3 months in Vietnam; you can do that without visa forever really.

Maybe it's different for an expat but as a "professional drifter" or "dharma bum", it's pretty easy life.

Edited by ModdaPunk
  • Thumbs Up 2