Price of olive oil at Makro

EVENKEEL

44 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Today was my first trip to Makro in Sattihip in like 4 months. Olive oil was around 750 baht. Maybe I'm mistaken but it seems like price has skyrocketed.

Yes, though you can still buy litre bottles of EVOO in the 500 to 600 range. Grab a couple when you find them at that price.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Today was my first trip to Makro in Sattihip in like 4 months. Olive oil was around 750 baht. Maybe I'm mistaken but it seems like price has skyrocketed.

Yes the big jar is 750 baht all right !   

18 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Yes the big jar is 750 baht all right !   

I bought a small plastic bottle for dressing and that was like 468 baht. When did this happen?

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I bought a small plastic bottle for dressing and that was like 468 baht. When did this happen?

From memory I think I saw prices rising dramatically about 3 months ago or maybe more - I remember reading some news about shortages or poor crops.

This is a fairly recent article -  https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/business/europe/despite-falling-prices-at-origin-olive-oil-retail-prices-remain-elevated/132963

Possibly also with the reduced value of the Thai baht until relatively recently.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I think you'll find leaving 7/11 now with 4-6 items will cost ya 500-700 baht as well, getting like North America shopping...

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AlwaysThere said:

Examples and prices?

I got Taris from Lazada for 600/L They are out now though, probably waiting for the harvest. There are many though. Watch for Spanish oil sold as Italian. Nothing wrong with Spanish oil by why pay for repackaging and overcharging.

1 minute ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I got Taris from Lazada for 600/L They are out now though, probably waiting for the harvest. There are many though. Watch for Spanish oil sold as Italian. Nothing wrong with Spanish oil by why pay for repackaging and overcharging.

Haven't ever seen Spanish oil repackaged. You can still buy for under 600 baht in the shops, but as yu say it's while stocks last. 

I have a few litres in my Thailand cupboards, including Kalamata. Also stocked up when there were 2 for the price of 1 offers. Bought De Cecco and Il Mulino that way.

56 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't look at the price.  I just buy it.

Silly boy .....I suppose you never check the total of your bill

is correct either , just pay what they tell you ,

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Yes.  Maybe skyrocketed.

I love EXTRA VIRGIN.....SPANISH....olive oil.

I wish I could buy it at a lower price, though.

I don't use MAYO....much....

So, I prefer to use just extra virgin olive oil on EVERYTHING....

I think it's healthier than most condiments.

And, I prefer the taste, too.

I pay around Bt.700 for 750ml of CARBONELL olive oil.

I think that there are better Spanish brands that I have purchased in the past, but I cannot find them anymore.

I like olive oil with more of a bite to it.....flavor-wise....

Unless it's extra virgin olive oil it's mixed with seed oils, crap. Tops have one on offer 500ml for 299. Extra virgin is meant to be pure from the press, the others are not worth buying IMO. Of course there are fakes and low quality, always look for the source of the olives.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not surprisingly the shortage/price increases have also affected the jars of Crespo Olives.

My local north Pattaya Makro has been out of the big jars for over a month and now has no smaller jars. Big C Extra I just noticed the small jars instock where the price has gone from around 89 baht to 119 baht.....(Makro were always 15 -20 baht cheaper on the small jars). 

33 minutes ago, topt said:

Not surprisingly the shortage/price increases have also affected the jars of Crespo Olives.

My local north Pattaya Makro has been out of the big jars for over a month and now has no smaller jars. Big C Extra I just noticed the small jars instock where the price has gone from around 89 baht to 119 baht.....(Makro were always 15 -20 baht cheaper on the small jars). 

102 baht @ Villa Market https://shop.villamarket.com/product/64938

Seek out the Lebanese shop in the Yensabai or order online.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/354-crespo-green-olives-stuffed-with-crespo-peppers-net-weight-354g-green-olives-stuffed-with-pickled-red-peppers-in-brine-i4101661566-s16031638885.html Only worth it if you buy a few due to postage charges.

Friendship had La Rambla Green Manzanilla Olives Stuffed Anchovy 235g at half price (88 baht?)

Stone in olives are tastier.

• Thanks 1