Do you owe money?

18 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Seems you miss out on discounts, promotions, cash back, air miles and more. On top of that you miss out on leveraging your money, which would over time create more wealth, significant on 1-2 decades especially.

Well, I'm too old to have interest in creating wealth - I'm very happy with my modest lifestyle.

As for discounts, cash back etc, I seem to manage very well at my 'level' of cash purchases.  I regularly get discounts in the shops where I go because I speak Thai and have a good sense of humour 🙂  When I buy something, I'll often ask 'loat mai?' with a smile and the price is often reduced.

Many years ago, one of my charity enterprises was called 'Xtrer':

https://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/143465/if-only-1-of-twitterers-used-xtrer-it-would-generate-more-than-1-million-for-charities-every-month

The slogan for that venture was 'A little Xtrer helps', which sums up my view that even a small amount of money can make a big difference in your own or other's lives. I used to buy 300-page school science books in Myanmar (printed locally on the thinnest of paper) for $3, but that small outlay would make a big difference to the studies of middle-school students.

Call me a cheap charlie perhaps, but I was once a $ millionaire (doesn't mean much nowadays!), and as times have changed, I have adapted and learnt to live a happy and fulfilling life without the trappings of consumerism.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems ridiculous not to have credit cards.  I guess a person who has none probably does absolutely nothing. They are needed for travel, hotels, etc.  Just pay them off.

If you are a foreigner in Thailand you have no choice. Banks won't give you a credit card only one which is pre paid, which is no different to paying by cash.

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

If you are a foreigner in Thailand you have no choice. Banks won't give you a credit card only one which is pre paid, which is no different to paying by cash.

But with the credit card you get some protections that using cash does not provide. You can also book airline tickets, rent a car, etc.

I use a US credit card all the time. Better exchange rate than wise, no foreign transaction fee. I pay the account in full every month.

I owe not a single dime to anyone.....and haven't in the last 30 years, not even a mortgage. I had a mortgage in my 20s and told myself this was the last debt I was ever going to have....I paid it off in 8 years instead of 30. Never had a car payment either. Credit cards, rarely used but paid off each month, with no exceptions.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

The kicker is that you have to work.

I don't have to work. I both want to work and choose to work. The job provides me with with some wonderful advantages. 

I am very fortunate and grateful in that regard.

17 hours ago, simon43 said:

In other words, do you have financial debts, such as credit card loans, bank loans, loan shark loans and so on?

When I moved to Thailand about 22 years ago, I slowly 'lost' my UK credit cards for various reasons (long forgotten).  This means that for the past 20 years, I have had to live using only my income, ie - living completely within my means. It would be near impossible to borrow from a Thai bank, and borrowing from a Thai loan shark would be a crazy move! I never borrow from friends, or have the need to do so.

This inability to borrow money has been a very good thing.  I have learnt to live within my means and not 'waste' money on unnecessary consumer items. I owe no money to anyone. Any ongoing financial liabilities can be terminated without a 'fine'. (My rent car has no contract - I can hand it back without financial penalty etc - My rented property can be handed back at 3 month's notice)

How about you?  Do you rely on credit to survive? Or do you use credit/loans in a sensible manner and pay them off on-time?

Just because I can borrow money, doesn’t mean I do. 

4 minutes ago, Everyman said:

Just because I can borrow money, doesn’t mean I do. 

Yes used to have, use for emergencies, IF, they popped up.  Luckily none did.  As wasn't into saving for emergencies when a youngin', as money not working for you is useless.

Investing or emergencies, at worst, paid off ASAP, 6 months or less.  If you can't afford to pay cash, you probably can't afford to buy it yet.  Borrowing money to buy depreciating products probably means you don't have savings and living month to month to begin with.   Not a good place to be, as once in that hole, hard to see daylight.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

You have a lot of choice..............doesn't have to be a Thai bank card.

15 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You have a lot of choice..............doesn't have to be a Thai bank card.

Although many overseas banks will cancel or not renew your credit card, once you permanently live outside your home country.  That's what my UK banks did >> refused to renew the cards when they expired (some 20 years ago...)

15 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Although many overseas banks will cancel or not renew your credit card, once you permanently live outside your home country.  That's what my UK banks did >> refused to renew the cards when they expired (some 20 years ago...)

That's where the planning comes in...................by keeping a UK address and having cards sent there.