Sleeping hours

So most of you know I am a night owl most times I don't go to bed till dawn. But I di sleep about 10 or 12 hours. My wife keeps complaining I should go to bed early. Is there any medical advice you have to go to bed early? What about people working night shift? But I think my wife is just jealous because she is still working and I am retired. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, still kicking said:

My wife keeps complaining I should go to bed early. Is there any medical

Sounds like you've conditioned yourself, it's going to take some time to get into 'an early sleep routine'. 

A good way to recondition your sleeping habit would be, early to bed, have sex and sleep. 

It works for me. 😎

• Thumbs Up 1

The Economist had a nice piece about it lately (you need to register, then you get 2 free articles).

Early birds and night owls.

Currently, the consensus is that it's not conditioned but genetically determined (I don't believe this,  but I am not a sleep researcher).

Early birds have a lot of health  advantages. 

But night owls do have some advantages, too. The one I found important: better sex life.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wake up around 4am often 3am but that's a bit early but once I'm awake i get up, I cycle 4 mornings, golf 2 mornings, 1 day off, I'm really tired and often sleep 8pm, works for me. I don't have a pensioner nap, except maybe once every month or so

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sounds like you've conditioned yourself, it's going to take some time to get into 'an early sleep routine'. 

A good way to recondition your sleeping habit would be, early to bed, have sex and sleep. 

It works for me. 😎

4 hours ago, watthong said:

It's rich that for a forum frequented by mostly senior expats, where talk about sex is often the result of lost paradise nostalgia or wishful thinking, to cite active sex life as a inducement to good night sleep. My recently eutered male dog gets fat and sleeps soundly than ever before since his operation.

Ha ha ha

Perhaps, admin should issue members with a colour code for different age groups.

AN forums are for all age groups, maybe you could give some stat's on your comment 'a forum frequented by mostly senior expats', 

Maybe name change required, from asean now to 

1. Senior expats only forum 

or 

2. Grumpy old man's forum 

LOL 😂

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

It seems to me that is up to each individual.

I just woke up, at 6am, because the sun rises. Most of the time I wake up when the sun rises, I like it.

A good friend wakes up regularly at noon and it mostly active until the early hours. He likes that.

Now he is retired. When he had to work, he used an alarm to wake up just early enough to get into the office in time. And then he was tired in the office in the morning.

I was never productive after the sunset.

I don't think we can easily change what we like - even if we want.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It works for me. 😎

Do you live alone?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

So most of you know I am a night owl most times I don't go to bed till dawn. 

so are you telling me you don't go to bed until the morning around 5.45am which is dawn  ?

then you sleep all day until 4.00pm  ?   

very strange indeed ... 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

working night shift probably leads to serious health issues.

I prefer working night shift ,11pm to 7am 

Sleep during day but my work is shift worker 

So if I can't swap it's one week day one week afternoon 

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

so are you telling me you don't go to bed until the morning around 5.45am which is dawn  ?

very strange indeed ... 

when does he have his first beer right ? :) 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

very strange indeed ... 

He lives in a "bad area" of  Western Australia,he has to stay up all night to guard the property 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just woke up, at 6am, because the sun rises. Most of the time I wake up when the sun rises, I like it.

A good friend wakes up regularly at noon and it mostly active until the early hours. He likes that.

Now he is retired. When he had to work, he used an alarm to wake up just early enough to get into the office in time. And then he was tired in the office in the morning.

I was never productive after the sunset.

I don't think we can easily change what we like - even if we want.

Who is your motivator? You are, and if you find good reasons to wake up, then it is easier, but if you have no good reasons, then you will struggle. 

Always good to brainwash yourself, and my strategy is thinking of the morning trip with my dog, and my first coffee, as well as looking forward to my first exercise which always feels good after. Then shower, and fresh and rested for starting a new day. Simply colouring your daily boring life into something useful and enjoyable. 

Our brains are easily manipulated, and negativity is a strong force if you cultivate it. Somehow I finds you overall quite positive, and that's the key to a better life and as motivation to get up in the morning

Edited by Hummin

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

So most of you know I am a night owl most times I don't go to bed till dawn. But I di sleep about 10 or 12 hours. My wife keeps complaining I should go to bed early. Is there any medical advice you have to go to bed early? What about people working night shift? But I think my wife is just jealous because she is still working and I am retired. 

you need a few bottles ( at least 5-6 )  of Chang everyday from 1.00pm or whatever your local sells ...  then you'll sleep at 8.30pm and wake up at 4-5am  every morning.  

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you need a few bottles ( at least 5-6 )  of Chang everyday from 1.00pm or whatever your local sells ...  then you'll sleep at 8.30pm and wake up at 4-5am  every morning.  

The slow suicide works for some to.

It's unusual to sleep 10-12 hrs.

Depends however on your smoking and drinking habits.

It would be interesting (could be tested) how it is with your REM at night?

But it's right that exhausting exercises would help. (or reading before sleeping, no TV). And, go to bed before midnight.👍

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Who is your motivator? You are, and if you find good reasons to wake up, then it is easier, but if you have no good reasons, then you will struggle. 

Always good to brainwash yourself, and my strategy is thinking of the morning trip with my dog, and my first coffee, as well as looking forward to my first exercise which always feels good after. Then shower, and fresh and rested for starting a new day. Simply colouring your daily boring life into something useful and enjoyable. 

Our brains are easily manipulated, and negativity is a strong force if you cultivate it. Somehow I finds you overall quite positive, and that's the key to a better life and as motivation to get up in the morning

I understand what you are saying, and I am sure for some people it is like that.

For me, and I am pretty sure for my friend, it is just what we feel comfortable with.

I.e. if I go out on a Friday night and return maybe 1am, I am still likely to wake up early, 7am would be "late".

It's unlikely that I have anything important to do on a Saturday morning, but I still like to be awake at that time. 

My friend just doesn't feel like going to be before midnight. And that was also the case when he was still working and forced to wake up early.

For me it's like that more or less my whole life, and I think for him it's the same.

In my case my gf and I have about the same pattern for weaking up and going to bed, great.

In case of my friend, his wife is not the same. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If I don't wake up at dawn to let my rabbits out into the garden they get really angry. So it's up at first light, rabbits given treats and released, then out for a 25km cycle ride (if it's dry).

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, BritManToo said:

If I don't wake up at dawn to let my rabbits out into the garden they get really angry. So it's up at first light, rabbits given treats and released, then out for a 25km cycle ride (if it's dry).

My rabbits jump around all night, in part on our bed.

Before dawn they crawl under the bed to sleep. They normally wake up again early afternoon.

2 hours ago, stoner said:

when does he have his first beer right ? 🙂 

My old mate worked regular nights and his brother in law who had a pub used to let him in at 6-15am every morning.6 pints later he went home to bed,explaining "this might be your morning but it's my evening"