What is a good sandwich filler? except cheese or ham

scubascuba3

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not really, eating a lot of vegetables like Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc no issues as all

I did state 'most' (not all)   Agree, hard to eat to much 'healthy' fibrous veggies.   And the garden is producing about 2 servings of asparagus every day.  Running out of ideas to prepare, though fine just steamed.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Looking for healthy options 

Scramble a couple of eggs in the microwave with salt and pepper, some broccoli, tomato and cucumber on toasted focaccia bread. 

Easy and simple, ingredients ready available, always in the fridge. 

• Like 2

I noticed I don't eat much bread in Asia. I don't miss it much.

However, I try to find rye crackers like WASA hard bread. Or 100% wheat.

PS. I never eat American white breads.

Edited by GypsyT
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...a good knob of butter. too, to keep the lard company!

Absolutely........actually used up the last of the Lurpak (salted of course).....back onto some strange tasting Australian butter now...sadly.

Just now, GypsyT said:

Just given up on 7/11, Lotus etc......now buy in from Lazard.....quite a good choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

PS. I never eat American white breads.

American white bread is not really bread... 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Absolutely........actually used up the last of the Lurpak (salted of course).....back onto some strange tasting Australian butter now...sadly.

Yeah, I bought some Coles butter when it was on sale... not again - I get the feeling they add water to it. (it melts weird).  It is funny going back to visit my parents and opening up the freezer that hold's their butter reserve... last time I was there they had close to 50lb of butter in there and they were still adding to it everytime there was a discount on what they buy.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

My dad used to batter spam and fry it in lard, vegetable oil was not a choice in those days. Oh and I loved dripping sandwiches, white bread and butter, dig down to get to the dark stuff at the bottom, Yum Yum. 

My parents were holdouts for butter - when many were going with margarine as the healthy option... then it turning out that margarine everyone was eating was loaded with trans-fatty-acids (TFA) due to hydrogenating oil to make it.  And TFAs turned out to be much much much worse as an option.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yeah, I bought some Coles butter when it was on sale... not again - I get the feeling they add water to it. (it melts weird).  It is funny going back to visit my parents and opening up the freezer that hold's their butter reserve... last time I was there they had close to 50lb of butter in there and they were still adding to it everytime there was a discount on what they buy.

Been trying all sorts out here....the closest I've got to something half decent is WestGold NZ grass fed, salted.

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

My parents were holdouts for butter - when many were going with margarine as the healthy option... then it turning out that margarine everyone was eating was loaded with trans-fatty-acids (TFA) due to hydrogenating oil to make it.  And TFAs turned out to be much much much worse as an option.

We had to lick gravel of the road.................

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

So, presumably, you don't bother having your car checked?

Everybody has their car checked once a year , its a requirement for obtaining road tax. Other than those with new cars  who have warranty obligations  does anybody actually have their car checked by a main dealer on a regular basis?.

There is actually very little to check on a car these days that one cannot do oneself    Tyres ?   a visual inspection is well within most peoples  ability, 

Oil ?  not hard to use a dip stick  or to remember the mileage when it was last changed,  lights?  self explanatory , Brakes, plenty of warning lights will indicate when they are wearing thin well before they need replacing

Many moons ago I would occasionally visit a main dealer  I stopped when I realised that on such occasions I should arrive with my underpants on back to front and a tub of lube  ready for the shafting  they would try to administer

If it aint broke dont fix it   

My car is nearly 18 years old has not seen the inside of a main dealership since the warranty ran out . still going strong and never had a problem with it

They make more money "checking " cars than they do selling them and there is a good reason why their favorite customers are unaccompanied women, or westerners with more money than sense

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My dad used to batter spam and fry it in lard, vegetable oil was not a choice in those days. Oh and I loved dripping sandwiches, white bread and butter, dig down to get to the dark stuff at the bottom, Yum Yum. 

The beauty of the internet is that transparency of information can also show us when expert studies do not align with the real world. Especially in nutrition a lot of expert studies have fallen by the wayside and were proven wrong. I am astonished my grandmother is alive at age 92, when she ate, by modern standards, things that should kill her, like processed sandwich meat, meat itself. 

However, she eats in moderation and most likely your dad did also not have battered spam every day. 

I am with KhunLa that moderation is the key, not what you eat though certain foods are clearly more beneficial in some regards. Some say every food you eat can cause mild inflammation. But the science is so complex even scientists get it wrong after they have done extensive studies and studied the subject for years.

It is probably a highly indidvidual thing, for example eating a lot of protein would be terrible if you suffer from gout, but is good for  some people who do not have that issue.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

There is no butter that tastes as strange as  that Thai  "allowrie "   avoid it like the plague.  Lurpak and embourg are probably the best available here . However the local lotus often has some french offerings which are pretty good too   I'm using one called "Candia" at the moment   the list price is expensive at just under 200bt  but none of the thais will be buying it so its a case of waiting until the sell by date approaches as the price will be cut by at least 50%  there is always plenty left  so I generally buy around 6 packs and stick it in the freezer.      Also I fully agree,  if it ain't salted its not butter

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

There is no butter that tastes as strange as  that Thai  "allowrie "   avoid it like the plague. 

Agree it smells and tastes Rancid Yuk, even worse on toast. 

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

There is no butter that tastes as strange as  that Thai  "allowrie "   avoid it like the plague.  Lurpak and embourg are probably the best available here . However the local lotus often has some french offerings which are pretty good too   I'm using one called "Candia" at the moment   the list price is expensive at just under 200bt  but none of the thais will be buying it so its a case of waiting until the sell by date approaches as the price will be cut by at least 50%  there is always plenty left  so I generally buy around 6 packs and stick it in the freezer.      Also I fully agree,  if it ain't salted its not butter

OOOOoooo...must investigate. Cheers.

45 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not really, eating a lot of vegetables like Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc no issues as all

Depends on the amount. If you eat it raw a lot of people can have an upset stomach due to eating too much raw vegetables.

Again, most likely individual thresholds apply.