What did your parents die of?

georgegeorgia

father - bowel cancer at age 35. mother - old age at age 92. Father's brother leukemia & bowel cancer at age 73, grandfather (dad's side) - bowel cancer at age 61, grandmother (dad's side) - old age at age 93.  Me age 74 and still going strong and I'm a prostate cancer survivor, so every day is a blessing. So yes I do pay attention to my health. I'm not even close to being ready to part this world yet.  I just checked my direct lineage in my family tree back 7 generations, most passed in their 70's. Apart from my great grandfather who passed at age 91, I'm the next longest living male in that 7 generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

father - bowel cancer at age 35. mother - old age at age 92. Father's brother leukemia & bowel cancer at age 73, grandfather (dad's side) - bowel cancer at age 61, grandmother (dad's side) - old age at age 93.  Me age 74 and still going strong and I'm a prostate cancer survivor, so every day is a blessing. So yes I do pay attention to my health. I'm not even close to being ready to part this world yet.  I just checked my direct lineage in my family tree back 7 generations, most passed in their 70's. Apart from my great grandfather who passed at age 91, I'm the next longest living male in that 7 generations.

Your family history would certainly seem to suggest that susceptibility to bowel cancer is in your genes, (just as some families have a history of breast cancer).

My father died when he stood up from his chair and his heart decided that it was time to take a rest - he was 89 years old and dropping dead after a healthy and active life is a reasonably good way to go.

My mother died at 84 after various strokes.  she had been a smoker and alcoholic for many years, so I don't suppose that helped.  In her final months in the (very decent) old peoples' home. I used to smuggle in whisky for her (alcohol was strictly forbidden by the nurses!) - might as well enjoy your final moments.

My paternal grandfather died at 65 of a cardiac arrest, but most family members have been long-lived and healthy.

Mum, never smoked, or drank, died of stomach cancer aged 59. so sad I was 27, and found out she had been diagnosed 8 yrs earlier, it was kept a secret from me and my 2 sisters. I often wonder if working in a munitions factory during WW2 may have caused the cancer. she was a very beautiful woman who also only ever rode a bike.

Dad smoked, rolled his own Old Holden no filters, but also never drank, always cycled everywhere, never drove a car, or caught a bus. Had a mild heart attack while riding his bike aged around 79, doctor told him to stop riding his bike and died a few weeks later from a heart attack..

He loved to cycle, it took him about 15 min to cycle to work, on a rough track, he would come home for lunch, get all the weeks shopping on a Saturday from town about 2 miles away.  below the only surviving photos I have. (water damaged)

IMG_20240222_101937.thumb.jpg.de2da5775c818ef28521152e096b8704.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 2

My Dad died in his sleep about a week shy of his 95th birthday.  He had some heart ailments later in life but was sharp as a tack right to the end.  Mom lived to 101 and died of old age.  She had dementia beginning in her 80s and it gradually got worse.  But, the last time I saw her I think she recognized me.

Dad and Mom lived remarkable and interesting lives.  Born in 1914 and 1918, they went from riding in horse-drawn wagons as young children to flying on the Concorde on one of their trips to Europe.  My Dad worked for the US Dept. of Defense and the family was stationed a lot of different places around the world--including Germany right after World War II, probably Dad's most interesting assignment.   I miss them both but I know I am indeed lucky to have had them as a part of my life for as long as I did.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1