Saved a Thai from being fined. Good or bad?

AustinRacing

A dozen or so police scattered around a busy intersection stopping pick ups carrying workers and bikers with no helmets. After passing, stopped at a shop nearby. Saw a bike riding towards the intersection with no helmet. Hand gestured him about the police operation. He stopped, did a U-turn, several wais in my direction, rode away. Reminded me of in oz motorists high-beaming oncoming traffic of mobile speed cameras. Must admit the comradery, solidarity and helping others is satisfying. Would you, or have you done this?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Saw a bike riding towards the intersection with no helmet. Hand gestured him about the police operation. He stopped, did a U-turn

I'd see a checkpoint on Soi Kophai, see a Thai rider no helmet (no Thai's wear helmets on this road, unless raining), tap my head, they always turn around. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep... I think its a decent thing to do... even for a fool who doesn't wear a helmet (the other rider not you).

In the UK we flash oncoming traffic when there is a roadside speed camera....  

On a recent UK trip about 10 cars in row flashed their lights - I knew there was a speed camera somewhere up the road - it saved me 3 points and £100 (if I'd have drifted over the 50mph limit or whatever the limit was on that part of the road).

I 'thought' it also happened once on the expressway in Bangkok heading out of town on the Bang-Na Trat 2nd Level...  There was a mobile speed camera at the 'wider part of the road' about 1km before the toll booths....    before the camera 3 oncoming vehicles flashed their lights. 

I've no idea if this was coincidence, or they were flashing because of the police camera. 

Wife says no way... Thai's do not flash to warn others of a Mobile Speed Camera etc...  the other vehicles were probably coincidental... nevertheless, I slowed down and then observed the cameras so the coincidence saved me a fine.

"Thai's do not flash to warn others of a Mobile Speed Camera etc..."

They do flash their lights onto oncoming traffic in Phuket if there is a speed camera or a Police roadblock ahead.

I say that as I have had cars flash me several times, as I am all legal etc I drive on and arrive at the police check. 

The drivers also phone their friends to tell them the info, which is why Police checks are not there for very long. 

4 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

"Thai's do not flash to warn others of a Mobile Speed Camera etc..."

They do flash their lights onto oncoming traffic in Phuket if there is a speed camera or a Police roadblock ahead.

I say that as I have had cars flash me several times, as I am all legal etc I drive on and arrive at the police check. 

The drivers also phone their friends to tell them the info, which is why Police checks are not there for very long. 

PS to myself.

I have been waiting for months for the police to pull me over where they expect me to produce my UK licence and an easy 500 baht to be had, but I have not been stopped yet, hence my brand new Thai driving licence has not seen the light of day. 

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

Must admit the comradery, solidarity and helping others is satisfying. Would you, or have you done this?

Nah.  I'd feel guilty each time I read about yet another motorcyclist dying from head injuries or suffering permanent brain damage, wondering if........