Looking for 6/7 seaters car in thailand

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to move to Thailand next month and my budget for a car is 200,000 Baht or less.

What brands are good, easy to repair, and commonly used in Thailand for 6/7-seaters?

I currently have offers for the following:

• Chevrolet Captiva 2012 for 189,000 Baht
  • Chevrolet Captiva 2007 for 145,000 Baht
  • Toyota Wish for approximately 160,000 Baht
  • Toyota Avanza 2012 for 215,000 Baht

What should I get? I’ve heard that Chevrolets are not very popular in Thailand and can be hard to repair. I like the appearance of the Captiva, but I’m concerned about maintenance. Should I go for a diesel or petrol engine? I’ve never had a diesel car before, but I’m open to it if the fuel price is cheaper than petrol.

If a 6/7-seater isn’t possible within my budget, a 5-seater SUV would be fine too. Please recommend some models and brands.

P.S. Is there a service in Bangkok that offers car condition checks? I don’t want to end up with a flooded car. 😄

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Isuzu MU-X is great, I had one for several years.

you will not find one for the op's price range, maybe an early MU7, I think the Captiva may be the way to go, for the money available

Honda used to do a 7-seater BR-V and CR-V, but price range might prove difficult.

Nissan or Mitsubishi do the Xpander. Again, price range will limit your choice.

Edited by phetphet

Toyota Sport Rider w/3.0 diesel.... Available in 2 or 4 wheel drive....Solid....

They run forever & would be in the op's budget.....

FB Marketplace.....

Definitely get a pre-inspection.....

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Load of poppycock, there is a service network for Chevrolet still.

https://www.chevrolet.co.th/shopping-tools/locate-dealer

That's all in Thai but if they still have a nationwide service network then I stand corrected.

I thought they exited Thailand a year or so ago? How long are those dealers going to be around for?

I still wouldn't buy one.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That's all in Thai but if they still have a nationwide service network then I stand corrected.

I thought they exited Thailand a year or so ago? How long are those dealers going to be around for?

I still wouldn't buy one.

Cannot speak for the whole nation but in Pattaya Ford took over the service for Chevrolet.

Chevrolet closed down manufacturing and dealerships late 2020.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1149983-chevrolet-assures-after-sale-service-following-exit-from-thailand/

Edited by Ralf001

Yea, Chevy wouldn't be my choice, even if they were still in business here / TH.  As suggested, Toyota Sure, lower risk, warranty, but you seriously need to up that budget.

The Captiva is an unreliable unloved model in other markets. (and here as well - hence the low price)

As others have said - you need to pump up your budget a bit to get anything reasonable.  

• Agree 1