Thai visa shake-up: Southeast Asia consulates switch to e-visa only

snoop1130

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

They can match it up with the stamps in your passport, so if you were to get a DTV from Cambodia your passport would need to have stamps showing you were there at the time it was issued.

But, in places like KL, you go through a kiosk and never get a passport stamp. So how do they know that you have been there?

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Last few years it seems "E-Visas" are the norm already so what's really new here? I have obtained two tourist E-Visas for Cambodia and one tourist visa for Myanmar in the last two years. I have also helped a British friend obtain a marriage E-Visa for Thailand twice (2023 & 2024). I have also helped my GF obtain two visit visas for the UK online in 2023 & 2024 (still have to go and submit passport and biometrics at an office in Bangkok). We had to file pre-entry permits for Singapore easily online when we went in 2023. I really don't see what the issues could be. Who wants to go to an embassy when it can all be done from the comfort of a hotel room or at home online?

You are absolutely right. In addition, I would assume /hope, that the evisa doesn't require a full page sticker, therefore increase the longevity of your passport. Previously, as a frequent visa runner I ha to get a new passport every 2 years. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Serhii said:

Those of you who have VPN apps, can you please check if they have Vietnam in it? Can you please share the name of those apps that have it? I’ve checked two and they don’t.

Yes .. mine does .. PIA, but how does that benefit you?

When you activate your visa, it will be when you enter. When you enter they will want to see a VN entry stamp on the day applied. These people aren’t stupid, why does everyone try to game the system? 

11 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Yes .. mine does .. PIA, but how does that benefit you?

When you activate your visa, it will be when you enter. When you enter they will want to see a VN entry stamp on the day applied. These people aren’t stupid, why does everyone try to game the system? 

Many countries don't have entry stamps anymore.

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

No surprise at all. This "less work - less services" trend is chronic at all Embassies and Consulates worldwide. They don't want to deal with the people they are supposed to be assisting. Governments suck and are getting suckier with every passing year. :coffee1:

Following this to a conclusion of some sort, this onward reduction in embassy workload will end up with no visa's issued and therefore none needed to enter any country. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They already do that in Chiang Mai for tourist extensions, I had 2 of them so far. Only still need to show up to take the webcam photo and give them the pre-filled paperwork (even they are the ones who filled that out digitally for you, so god only knows why that is needed). Anyway 10 mins in and out, 500 baht extra though. They are small shiny stickers with a QR code in it, 1/4 of a page.

What visa do you have there?

What a good way to get rid of thousands of tourists wanting to expand their stay in Thailand. Being forced to stay in the country you visit for the tourist visa, or whatever, mean you have no idea how long you will have to wait there until you can visit the consulate. I find this to be the dumbest thing I have heard from Thailand until now! Seems like they think going all in on E-visas will bring them more tourists??? It will definitely create irritation and thereby a LOSS of people wanting to stay a bit longer then planned. Have they all gone mad??? 

18 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Following this to a conclusion of some sort, this onward reduction in embassy workload will end up with no visa's issued and therefore none needed to enter any country. 🙂

Your right ......Countries and visas are on the way out.......Countries would just get in the way of a one world government.......But I really doubt this would lead to a free-for-all in immigration.....The one world government would never allow that... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, harryviking said:

What a good way to get rid of thousands of tourists wanting to expand their stay in Thailand. Being forced to stay in the country you visit for the tourist visa, or whatever, mean you have no idea how long you will have to wait there until you can visit the consulate. I find this to be the dumbest thing I have heard from Thailand until now! Seems like they think going all in on E-visas will bring them more tourists??? It will definitely create irritation and thereby a LOSS of people wanting to stay a bit longer then planned. Have they all gone mad??? 

Or they are just trying to get rid of the people using this method as a workaround to being denied on entry, now forcing them to do this from their home countries before they ever leave. This and the ETA's would put a stop to these people, who may or may not be overloading certain embassies.

2 hours ago, Serhii said:

Those of you who have VPN apps, can you please check if they have Vietnam in it? Can you please share the name of those apps that have it? I’ve checked two and they don’t.

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 11.24.42.png

39 minutes ago, deesquared said:

Many countries don't have entry stamps anymore.

would any of those countries be in SE Asia? 

is it that just because they don’t have entry stamps, when leaving to a neighboring country, Thai immigration don’t have a record of you leaving? 

You aren’t going to win .. it used to be that you could visit Malaysia, send your passport to Hull consulate for a ME 12 month and then get it FedEx’d back. They worked that out too .. 

Edited by recom273

2 hours ago, Serhii said:

NordVPN does not show a server in Vietnam according to their map but they do include Vietnam in the list of countries and a connection can be made.

Edited by Dexxter

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

No surprise at all. This "less work - less services" trend is chronic at all Embassies and Consulates worldwide. They don't want to deal with the people they are supposed to be assisting. Governments suck and are getting suckier with every passing year. :coffee1:

nz closed its consulates and kept the embassy open with little staff and put visa fees through the roof, if you wish ti visit the embassy which is in Wellington you have to travel a long way book hotels ect its become a nightmare

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Johno57 said:

The reliability of internet sites & SECURITY of these sites has always been lacking & will remain the same so I will not see my document  privacy being sold on the dark Web or to any body else...

How is your personal information anymore at risk with the revised procedure compared to the current format?

I appreciate your valid concern for cyber security risk. However, the risk with the changes is most likely less than what you are exposed to  under the current visa processing format. Consider this;

The e-visa data is going to be  forwarded electronically to Thailand for processing and record keeping. It will go to the same immigration data processing center that gathers your passport and biometric information when you enter Thailand. 

If anything, the new procedure might actually offer better personal information protection and  reduce the potential for corruption.  Local officials will not easily be able to offer visas or expedited service for a personal "fee".  There will be greater oversight of the process and a more thorough capability to screen  visitors to Thailand. Consider that when you file a visa request at a local consulate, the local staff (some of whom are Thai and some of whom are contract local workers) can access your documents. They can make copies of personal information. If their ability to handle such documentation is eliminated, then the likelihood of their stealing  data is reduced too.

Many e visa approvals are computer generated these days. It's only if an answer to a particular question raises a flag that a human looks at your application.

If these visa approvals are computer generated I'd expect approval within 24 hours.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

1 hour ago, harryviking said:

Being forced to stay in the country you visit for the tourist visa, or whatever, mean you have no idea how long you will have to wait there until you can visit the consulate

The recent additions (Vietnam) both Hanoi and HCMC state the application will be dealt with within 5 days.  My own experience in the UK has been 3 or 4 days.  And you are not waiting to visit the consulate, you only wait for their reply email.

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

Fortress Thailand. Can't rely on an IO or consular staff being 'lenient'. VE and now TR pre approved/rejected centrally. Some games played are going to end.

E-visas are not approved/rejected centrally.  The application is made through the common e-visa portal but it is the individual embassy/consulate that approves or rejects it, and it is they who may ask for additional information if needed (as is clearly stated on the e-visa site).

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

E-visas are not approved/rejected centrally.  The application is made through the common e-visa portal but it is the individual embassy/consulate that approves or rejects it, and it is they who may ask for additional information if needed (as is clearly stated on the e-visa site).

OK, my bad re central, but I am sure that will come. Fact is , you or your agents ability to interact with them outside the template is somewhat limited.

2 hours ago, deesquared said:

But, in places like KL, you go through a kiosk and never get a passport stamp. So how do they know that you have been there?

in the computer !!!

in UAE   you dont get an entrystamp after the first visit.

The electronic gate shows you in big Letters  WHO MANY DAYS YOU REMAINING BALANCE IS TO STAY IN UAE.... without residence premisson

for my lastentry was 79 days

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I really don't see what the issues could be. Who wants to go to an embassy when it can all be done from the comfort of a hotel room or at home online?

One thing you need to be aware of is that when a Thai Embassy or Consulate switches to E-Visa, only residents of that country and those with legal residence can make an application.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

One thing you need to be aware of is that when a Thai Embassy or Consulate switches to E-Visa, only residents of that country and those with legal residence can make an application.

I am sure they will apply the same rules as they have been using for paper visas, and will accept being legally present in the country at the time of application.

On 10/7/2024 at 4:35 PM, madone said:

this is insane and defeats the entire purpose of an "e" visa

also what prevents people from using a VPN? do travelers need to pick up the "e" visa in person?

To get an evisa you need to show a flight to the country you wish to go to from the country in which you are applying. The evisa is emailed to you..

I dont agree that you need to be a legal resident of the country in which you are applying. I am a Brit and in the last couple of years have got evisas in one shape or another for Oz, NZ, Thailand, Vietnam etc. Nearly all were applied from outside the UK.

If the system works, I welcome this news

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

I am sure they will apply the same rules as they have been using for paper visas, and will accept being legally present in the country at the time of application.

I doubt it. Countries that have gone over to E-Visa clearly state that applications are only accepted from residents or those with legal residence. It forms part of the rules.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

I understand that but it makes no sense. It's nuts if all is done online, that one must return to their country of residence in order to apply for a visa online. 

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I understand that but it makes no sense. It's nuts if all is done online, that one must return to their country of residence in order to apply for a visa online. 

I'm not sure they actually have to be in the country - a VPN would surely sort that out.  However, I believe residency must be proved.

A passport for a national and some proof of residence (visa etc.) for others is probably what's required.

9 hours ago, Serhii said:

I use Nord VPN and it does, you can check here, just go to the Asia Pacific server drop down list part way down the page

https://nordvpn.com/servers/?nv_tri=TC_6732955512908604_1728387972943&nv_trs=1728387972944_1728388018127_1_22

I have a link to sign up below, if you want to use it I get 3 free months and you get 3 free months if not no problems

https://refer-nordvpn.com/BRLteLmeJlM