Why Do You Even Drink?

SoCal1990

I've drank wine most of my adult life, in moderation mostly, and always thought wine was good for you in small amounts. The research back then matches it today. I\ve never had any health problems besides sore joints from lifting and an H Pylori infection , likely from the water here. Here's one link with some data..................https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265635#blood-pressure

• Agree 1

On 10/9/2024 at 10:48 AM, Presnock said:

alcohol is classified as a POISON for the human body. 

Thus we all need a little poison (sans caps!)  in our lives (and intakes), do we not?  Keep on quaffing the stuff, please! 

3 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

I notice our resident troll is again very active in this thread, shame his posts get removed before I have the chance to read them

What/whom is this all about?   We need to know! 

On 10/9/2024 at 10:47 AM, BritManToo said:

Most people buy the cheapest alcoholic drink they can tolerate.

Fine wine is a waste of money after the first glass or two.

What total and utter rubbish this is!  Where do you pick up such  crazy ideas? 

On 10/9/2024 at 6:56 AM, SoCal1990 said:

Why do people even drink alcohol? I can’t work it out. They spend a lot of money on wine and the like. Then they spend hours drinking the stuff trying to get snockered. And once they’re properly drunk then they are possibly going to get in a serious car accident, a fight, fall down, throw up and end up lying in a pile of their own vomit, or just wake up with a terrible hangover that lasts 24-48 hours. Not to mention the long term damage it can cause to cognitive brain function, liver, heart, etc. 

Meanwhile, alcohol consumption keeps falling every year within the younger people demographic and cannabis use continues to increase. So why don’t more older people just use cannabis edibles? Works much better than alcohol. Doesn’t cost much. Gets you zooted for hours and none of the downsides of alcohol. 

• Your first paragraph describes a very small percentage of people who consume alcohol
  • Your second paragraph describes the raising consumption of drugs and seems to encourage it

Try to see the big picture on this and decide to yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2024 at 8:26 AM, SoCal1990 said:

Why do people even drink alcohol? I can’t work it out.

Because they (we) like it.

They spend a lot of money on wine and the like. Then they spend hours drinking the stuff trying to get snockered.

You assume anyone who drinks does so soley to get drunk.

Do you eat soley to get full ? (if so why not eat the same food every day) - the point there is, some of us enjoy consuming wine and food, beer and whisky, for more than what in your mind seems to be a singular end result (in which case,  why not just inject something).

And once they’re properly drunk then they are possibly going to get in a serious car accident,

Not if they don't drink drive !!...  

a fight, fall down, throw up and end up lying in a pile of their own vomit,

Not unless they are complete morons - again you assume anyone who drinks does so purely to get drunk... nothing of the taste, or social aspect.

or just wake up with a terrible hangover that lasts 24-48 hours.

Again - you assume everyone who drinks gets drunk.

Not to mention the long term damage it can cause to cognitive brain function, liver, heart, etc. 

Are you now also assuming anyone who drinks has an issue with alcoholism and anyone who enjoys wine or beer etc is causing long term damage ?

Meanwhile, alcohol consumption keeps falling every year within the younger people demographic and cannabis use continues to increase.

Ah.. I get it now - this is just an anti-alcohol thread because you want to fight back and support weed are a spate of recent negative articles regarding weed use and people going nuts. 

So why don’t more older people just use cannabis edibles?

I'm sure they are - I am, and I think they are great.

But I also enjoy wine, beer, Whisky etc.

Works much better than alcohol. Doesn’t cost much.

Nope - 

Nice wine, beer or Whisky etc = experience & enjoyment of consumption, + a social aspect...

Weed = end game getting stoned...

One is more about the process over hours, the other is about achieving an end result - they are different things entirely.

Gets you zooted for hours and none of the downsides of alcohol. 

You mean other than gettnig zooted for hours.

I want a glass of wine with dinner tonight - I don't want to get stoned.

Friends may come over, and we finish the bottle and open a few more, maybe some Wiskeys. 

The don't want to come over smoke a joint and sit there forgetting the conversation every 2 mins while monged out.

The two 'alcohol and Cannibis' serve completely different purposes. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Please see the following forum guideline re multiple quotes, thank you:

@richard_smith237

7. Do not quote more than three multiple nested quotes. Only quote the person you are replying to, and only quote the relevant section that you are discussing.

On 10/9/2024 at 3:26 AM, SoCal1990 said:

Why do people even drink alcohol? I can’t work it out. They spend a lot of money on wine and the like. Then they spend hours drinking the stuff trying to get snockered. And once they’re properly drunk then they are possibly going to get in a serious car accident, a fight, fall down, throw up and end up lying in a pile of their own vomit, or just wake up with a terrible hangover that lasts 24-48 hours. Not to mention the long term damage it can cause to cognitive brain function, liver, heart, etc. 

Meanwhile, alcohol consumption keeps falling every year within the younger people demographic and cannabis use continues to increase. So why don’t more older people just use cannabis edibles? Works much better than alcohol. Doesn’t cost much. Gets you zooted for hours and none of the downsides of alcohol. 

Because a glass of good wine taste far better than any cannabis. People enjoying a glass of wine, or two, with their dinner don't drink to get drunk or stoned. Furthermore, one or two glass on wine is healthy for elder people, smoking is not. Responsible people that enjoys beer, wine or a drink, don't walk right out being driver of a vehicle. Driving after taking cannabis, or taking any other kind of drugs, can also be dangerous...:whistling:

Why do people take cannabis?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Kinok Farang said:

20 years sober now but if i could i'd have a drink tomorrow.

I can honestly say i had more fun in the pub with the lads than any other time of my life.

Congratulations... I don't know how people such as yourselves manage to not have a drink for 20 years....  I know enough people who have had issues with Alcohol to admire their restraint when they completely stop. 

That said, I've never had an issue with Alcohol, I can drink each day, or go weeks without a drink, I can get drunk, or just stop earlier if I have plans the next day, or just have the one glass with dinner if thats what I want - I like varying forms of alcoholic beverages, with or without food or under differing occasions, social or alone...   

I wouldn't want to not have the option - and some might suggest that presents an issue, alcoholism...   but, in the same argument I want the choice to be able to eat various types of food too.

The point I want to make here is that

a) props to recognising a problem, doing something about it and lasting the course.

b) the Ops post is highly flawed and assumes anyone who drinks does so to get drunk

c) the Ops post is promoting marijuana which is fine for some, not fine for others.

Seems the Op has an agenda...  

• Confused 1

Weed is for teenagers and Jamaicans.

- I haven't had a hangover in a long time.

- I haven't vomited from alcohol in decades.

- I don't get into fights, nor drink n drive.

- I don't spend a lot on it either.

Smoking is worse for health than alcohol. Edibles are gay and childish.

I smoked weed as a teen and it's definitely possible to feel sick if you take too much.

It also causes you to eat a lot (the munchies) which is unhealthy.

Also, I like to drink cos I like to get out the house for a few hours and do some people-watching.

Weed is very anti-social. I can't imagine being outside and being stoned. What am I gonna do, get stoned and sit at home playing video games?

I like how alcohol tastes too. It's refreshing on a hot day. It pairs well with food.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Cameroni said:

MDMA more your thing?

That's for teenagers too, especially ones who can only dance with their hands, and who think techno music is real music.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Confused 1

I used to drink for the buzz I got from 3-4 drinks.

I have always liked a good shiraz, paired with an eye fillet steak, medium.

I gave up drinking about 18 months ago. It would have been foolish to drink with the cocktail of meds I had to take at the time.

Most people don't know combining alcohol with paracetamol, a very common medication, can result in serious liver damage.

I know the buzz I would get from drinking would now be offset by getting up 5-6 times in the night for a pee, not worth it anymore.

I mentioned wine as an example in my OP, but it's all the same. Beer, spirits, wine coolers, etc. It's all poison and 100% toxic to the body, and in multiple ways. 

Unlike alcohol, cannabis is consumed in many different ways. It can be made into many different edible forms and/or vaporized, none of which poses medical risks. Smoking it is horrible, and the smell can be disruptive to others, but unfortunately it's still the way that many people choose to consume it.

Also, too many archaic stereotypes have been posted here about cannabis and the types of people that consume it. Most of that comes from old movies and outdated pop culture, but it is far from the truth. 

Using cannabis and then going out and meeting people is also great. Makes you smile, more creative and more talkative when used in moderation. Unlike alcohol that slows your speech, causes you to slur words and eventually makes you inebriated/antisocial if you drink too much. 

I realize some people consume a small amount of alcohol because they enjoy the taste and the feeling of it, and without getting really drunk, but it's still greatly unhealthy, even in small quantities and becomes much more dangerous to one's health as you age. And, no amount of alcohol — not even 1 glass of wine — is safe. But don't take my word for it:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4406827/no-amount-of-alcohol-safe-study 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401 

Lastly, on the long standing cannabis versus alcohol debate, which one of the two is actually administered by doctors for a number of different medical use/health benefits and which one do doctors always tell you to stop consuming right away? I rest my case. 

Edited by SoCal1990

It makes you feel good.  Haven't you ever drank.  With that said, the effect doesn't do much for me anymore.  I'm fine without it except on rare occasions.  What others do?  Up to them.  Don't do cannabis anymore either and for the same reason. If was fun as hell when I was younger.  Now I just garden, play guitar, and read.  Who needs to be stoned.

Are you a "Friend of Bill" or Bob or whoever that is.  You don't usually see people writing anti-alcohol thread unless they have issues with "The Drink." 

"We never eat fruitcake because it has rum,

and one little bite turns a man to a bum.
What's the sorriest sight in the whole human race,
but a man in the gutter with crumbs on his face."
- Ault Temperance Union Diddy

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

That's for teenagers too, especially ones who can only dance with their hands, and who think techno music is real music.

Nowt wrong with some loud doof whilst trying to chew your own face off.

Alcohol induces euphoria, relaxation, and disinhibition while reducing stress and anxiety. Consistent with human self-report, animal studies also suggest that alcohol produces a rewarding as well as an anxiolytic effect

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2730732/

On top of this, people become reliant and addicted to alcohol.  Many people see it as the only thing they can really "do", and would be bored without it.

The simplest answer is that they like it and it makes them happy.

5 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

On top of this, people become reliant and addicted to alcohol.  Many people see it as the only thing they can really "do", and would be bored without it.

The simplest answer is that they like it and it makes them happy.

If their life revolves around alcohol, then that's not a life.  Was always a hobby to me, and never understood it as a lifestyle.  As were other drugs, and TBH, low on my list of things I want to be doing.  

Enjoy just about every other aspect of life more than drugs, even just as a hobby, and use to only indulge, when bored and nothing else came to mind to do.