Air India trip report....

Chivas

Firstly I hadn't taken leave of my senses which one of two may be concluding possibly correctly 😁

I had in fact used them Heathrow Bangkok twice back in 2014 and 2015 and they were surprisingly ok. The sterotype in my opinion was wrong then and I dont think thats changed now as regards passengers

Firstly why Air India now.....they had announced earlier this year that they were rostering a brand new A350 aircraft on the London Delhi sector from September 1st and myself wanting only a one way ticket (as possibly travelling around Asia) the intention was (and is) to buy a one way ticket home in March next year

Prices were around £329 on Air India up to £405 on Eva /Thai or thereabouts so thought lets give them a crack. Bought ticket through my favourite agent Travel Trolley and as always Eticketed within the hour. Price on Air India's own site on this occasion wasn't much more at £352 so not a lot in it

I had a query over baggage allowance pre trip and got hold on TT because it was showing "2 pieces" and again any query was answered quickly via Email to say its a 46kg baggage allowance split between the twp pieces with no more than 23kg in each....fair play Air India on that allowance for economy....having seen those at check in clearly many make use of it !!

(First time I had ever checked 2 bags in)

Flight was at 09.45 from Heathrow but because of where I currently live in UK I had no option but to catch a national express coach at 00.30 in the morning which got me into Heathrow at 05.30 no problem per se but in hindsight a Premier Inn overnight at Heathrow would have been sensible the night before

T2 for Air India and the infamous (initial) self check in which on this occasion is "finding me" no problem but wont print the baggage tags so floorwalker redirects me to Biz check in as the economy ones were all occupied

I had checked in online 48 hours previously and already had 2 aisle seats for both sectors (after initially having only middle seat on 2nd sector but TT changed for me no charge for seat selection 10/10)  so she enters details and checks passport and says one word" Visa"  (bear in mind am on one way ticket)

Now I had taken the precaution of having an onward ticket randomly dated within first 60 days and had printed it out but didnt want to produce it just yet (as whether legal or not ground handling are not stupid and know what they represent in my opinion...opinions are vaied so lets leave it at that)

Looking at check in lady I very politely explain I didnt need a SETV as am entitled to 60 day visa exempt entry at immigration at Bangkok.....she aint buying it lol and calls over supervisor who explains its because I'm on one way ticket (fair enough) so am the point of going into the bag and getting out onward ticket. About to bite the bullet and unfold the paperwork the Supervisor just waved to the agent to check me in. No idea what had changed but all sorted. Onward ticket unseen and back in bag

Bit of a wait till 08.45 when we boarded an hour early (no idea quite why) but nonetheless obviously everyones onboard and he pushes back dead on 09.45....fair play

First impressions of economy cabin very nice but obviously aircraft was literally just over 1 month old so you wouldn't have expected anything else. Seats were extremely comfortable to say the least despite appearing very thin and recline was excellent in fact with full recline (I had no one behind me as on baulkhead) I could literally stretch out completely straight albeit at an angle obviously......flight was absolutely full couldnt see a single spare seat......few what appeared to be Brits on flight but 98% must have been Indian all very polite I might add

Inflight entertainment system was "ok" but clearly not a patch on Emirates Etihad Qatar etc etc

What it does have is 2 cameras one on tail fin looking forward and one on underbelly showing front undercarriage......I've got the tail fin on and we are moving forwards to active runway......one aircraft has departed to the right and aircraft in front has started to edge forward.....we are literally 2nd aircraft to go

I can see a commotion to my right re passengers people standing up with flight crew shouting "sit down" but clearly this isnt anyone being stupid. Shouting in some Indian dialect at which point intercom comes back on for "Is there any Doctors or nurses" onboard......I'm thinking for christ sake but obviously health is number one.....the aircraft in front of us has turned and starts its roll. We are now at a dead stop (obviously).....God knows how many motors behind us but we are obviously blocking the active runway.....There is a Dr onboard who see's the passenger and clearly immediately signals for Ambulance required etc etc......Captain comes on explains the position they we have to return to gate (fair enough)

Back to the parking spot still unoccupied but the ground crew had already departed the airport (bear in mind this was including the initial standard delay in getting to take off roll position and now the trek back to the gate about 40 minutes after we had "departed")

I've got the underbelly camera on and can see absolutely nothing occuring wheels not chocked etc etc. After about 20 minutes ground handling scurrying under the aircraft....in the interim the paramedics onboard cant get the lady out of the seat she's clearly in so much pain. We can hear her shrieking though as I was about 5 rows away.  Eventually they get her off but clearly hasnt taken her hand luggage (low priority for paramedics obviously) so intercom comes back on saying security is coming back on and everyone has to identify their own cabin bags for security and obviously whatever is left belongs to the passenger

Time is dragging on.....I had a 3 hour transit in Delhi but the capatain ahd intially announced flight time of literally one hour less than scheduled so effectively we had longer transit but time is dragging.........eventually doors are armed again and have to wait for ATC but eventually we get it and by my reckoning I've got about 70 minutes in Delhi but thats doable for connection but being India I am concerned if bags will make that connection

If the commotion had happened probably just 3 minutes later the aircraft would have been airborne with all that would entail with fuel dumping and missed connections an absolute certainty

Food was "ok" and think thats generous edible as always on my account who will eat anything but suspect many others wouldnt have touched it. It was either meat or veggie and that was it. Booze was served fair enough and I did ask for a second wine which was no problem

Nice touch by the capatain coming on naming and thanking the 2 passengers (Drs) who had assisted back at Heathrow

Needn't have worried on the baggage  front Air India use Whatsapp to update passengers from everything from boarding gate to "bags on board" after they've been scanned on...20 miutes prior to 2nd sector phones pinged with same message I had received at Heathrow for first flight but now with updated flight sector

Onto 2nd flight....Ohh my Buddha.

Ancient A320 after we are bussed from terminal and thats being polite with the smallest seats I've seen on (even holiday charter flights) no entertainment screen and not even "drop down" TV screens to show progress of the flight......extremely luckily because flight was virtually full we've got an empty middle seat so the window seat passenger has gone sideways and I've done the same from the aisle lol.....the food this time was "horrendous" and again thats being polite. Thinking to myself what the hell is that and for the first time ever on a flight I ate the bread and absolutely nothing else !

We've got a scheduled landing time of 0740 but because of no flight screens no idea if its on track and on time...it had pushed back on time and in fact landed 10 minutes early. Come off the airbridge and realise right we are right by immigration. Up the slope and no one there just the passengers from our flight. One guy in front of me. Move to hand passport in. Scans fingers and photograph as always looks up at me and says "No Visa"........I'm thinking this cannot be a coincidence after Heathrow but I extremely politely say no not this time.....my passport is new(Iish) and only had the 2 previous trips in it both of which had Evisa which he clearly seen as looked at them on same page

Hesitates for a minute and it seemed never ending and stamps me in for 60 days.....again I had been on the point of getting out onward ticket but again it all ends ok...I think it certainly was purely conincidence in hindsight

Straight to carousel where in less than 2  minutes bags are coming off. At this point I've not been off the aircraft for more than 5 minutes bags come out immediately at which point I'm thinking by far the quickest airport exit ever.....7 minutes from walking off aircraft to walking through customs

As it was morning I had decided in advance I was going to catch bus from Suvarnabhumbi to Jomtien bus station. Very effecient 143 baht and had 50 Baht Bolt to Condo in Jomtien less than 200 Baht in total as opposed to 1200 Baht in taxi...Bus was air conditioned and good at that and 90 minutes to Jomtien......no brainer from now on !

Cost £329 one way

7/10 for the A350 Heathrow Delhi sector let down by the food marginally.... otherwise an 8

A320 second sector it would be hard to rate more than 1/10 and the one is for the fact it landed safely....it really was that bad

Would I fly them for a 4th time.....NO but based entirely on that 2nd sector expereience only

Overall probably 5/10 just about but no more

Indian passenger themselves extremely good natured and polite

They do have 470 planes on order and are apparently receiving new aircraft every 6 days...they need one for that 2nd sector make no mistake  !

Edited by Chivas
  • Thumbs Up 1