Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

42 minutes ago, proton said:

But at least he was not on social benefits, taking up social housing, getting free health care and having translators provided at taxpayers expense as is the case in the west for many immigrants. He just was not interested in learning their crude language with it's, for many, incomprehensible tonal system. The family have probably all had many years of Englsih lessons at school but likely no better at English than he is at Thai, if he's happy with the situation so what?

You are a prime example of what I'm talking about. 

Just unbelievable stuff. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cameroni said:

So it's not Ko Chang then?

It is not even mentioned by foreigners as an destination. Koh Kut is another one I enjoy visiting, but it is quite busy by Thais in the weekends and holdidays. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

It is not even mentioned by foreigners as an destination. Koh Kut is another one I enjoy visiting, but it is quite busy by Thais in the weekends and holdidays. 

You're doing the right thing, I also wouldn't divulge my favourite island. Crowds are the worst.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I have travelled and lived or stayed more than 3 months most places in Thailand, included Islands, 4 of the major tourist places in Thailand and  outback in Isaan for 4 years. So I guess I have a valid experience to share. 

But some Pattaya experts do not aknownledge my experience at all 😁

Years ago I met a guy who had been in Patts 63 times and nowhere else, not even BKK for a night. I don't have a problem with that, as long as he's happy. 

A lot of farang men would enjoy life more if they were a wee bit more adventurous. A couple of road trips to see a different part of life would be a great thing. I'd like to see them just give themselves a chance, as you did.  

Edited by theblether

3 minutes ago, theblether said:

Years ago I met a guy who had been inatts 63 times and nowhere else, not even BKK for a night. I don't have a problem with that, as long as he's happy. 

A lot of farang men would enjoy life more if they were a wee bit more adventurous. A couple of road trips to see a different part of life would be a great thing. I'd like gto see them just give themselves a chance, as you did.  

Cant blaim them, if thats what they can afford and thats what they are willing to live for. You see some of them at beach road with their beer bought in 7/11 talking to the beach birds.

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Cant blaim them, if thats what they can afford and thats what they are willing to live for. You see some of them at beach road with their beer bought in 7/11 talking to the beach birds.

I'm fine with that. Thailand has a visible sex trade and I have no problems with the guys who are honest enough to tell you that they are only here for the tail. 

4 minutes ago, theblether said:

I'm fine with that. Thailand has a visible sex trade and I have no problems with the guys who are honest enough to tell you that they are only here for the tail. 

on the other hand, if I chose Pattaya/Jomtien or Hua Hin, I could buy a decent two bedroom appartment central with seaview, pool, fitness, and stop working and never look back. I could had a quite comfortable life, but thats not what I want, I need new views, experiences, and also work as long I can. I get bored wherever I am, and whatever I do, and Im jealouse of those who seems happy with status Q. 

If it is just their illusion, or true, I do not know, but I cant do it

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Apart from the climate, the people, the affordability and the food....

No nanny state telling me what I can and cannot put in the trash and how much they will fine me if I don't obey.

No unaffordable utility bills at times of the year when heating is needed to survive.

No bureaucratic process to see a doctor and even then you'd better be done in under ten minutes.

No searching the country far and wide to find a dentist that will take me for treatment.

No living near chavs who live off benefits and have never worked a day in their lives yet still want more for free.

No living in a culture that pretends to respect and like older people yet really wishes they didn't exist and treats them that way too.

No receiving a penalty notice and fine because I put the wrong trash in the wrong bin.

I could go on forever with these things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The points raised about some foreigners here moaning all the time is just highlighting a very vocal minority. 

"...just highlighting a very vocal minority".

Not on this forum, where the very vocal majority of commentators do moan about Thais and Thailand tediously and consistently.

• Haha 1

On the food thing, a couple of pages ago.

In Thailand I eat Thai food 100%

In the US I don't think my wife has ever eaten Western food at home, only at restaurants.

Then we get in the terrible argument that sometimes I do want to eat western food at home, but she's got this weird thing that she wants cook for me and not let me cook what I want.

My wise lekung son said to me recently "when in Thailand you do the Thai thing for Mom. In America you do what the Hell she tells you"

The joys of being married to a Thai!

Edited by GinBoy2

9 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

On the food thing, a couple of pages ago.

In Thailand I eat Thai food 100%

In the US I don't think my wife has ever eaten Western food at home, only at restaurants.

Then we get in the terrible argument that sometimes I do want to eat western food at home, but she's got this weird thing that she wants cook for me and not let me cook what I want.

My wise lekung son said to me recently "when in Thailand you do the Thai thing for Mom. In America you do what the Hell she tells you"

The joys of being married to a Thai!

At least my wife cook me what I want, and if she havent done it before, she finds the recipee online, and study youtube videos to make it perfect. I eat 50/50 thai western food while in Thailand. There is no way I could live on Thai food and exercise 12 hours a week maintaining muscles and still be happy with my meals. 

I work in an office where everyone is bilingual or even trilingual, so I can speak English all day. However, there are some who I don't expect to speak English when outside. Speaking to them in Thai brings a smile to their faces and facilitates communication: It's just politeness and it works.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Well said Charlie. You have hit the nail on the head.

How long have you lived in Thailand?

The most whining expats are without a doubt the ones that have not bothered to learn Thai. Always moaning. And endlessly complaining.

It's the ones who know too much that do all the complaining. 

Everyone loves Thailand at first.

Try being more than just a tourist here.

They are basically illiterate,deaf and mute. So of course they will be frustrated, especially with Thais who can not understand a word they are saying, they don’t have a clue what is going on around them. 

And no doubt the Thais must be left shaking their heads at these buffaloes.

Often they keep repeated the English word over and over again while pulling faces and using hand signals which just causes even more confusion. And exposing themselves to be the fools that they are.

And they completely socially isolated at social events such as weddings etc.

Unable to perform basic tasks without relying on their Thai wife who they expect to be a mind reader. Always with an angry face on in the Land of Smiles.

And ironically despite living here for years or even decades and not being able to string a simple sentence together, being unable to ask for something basic in a polite way they convince themselves that the Thai people are stupid and rude.

I do everything on my own here.

And I will happily have a dick measuring contest with you. What have you achieved here?

I have enough Thai to get by in every situation I find myself in.

I am probably intermediate level for speaking and listening. Can read and write some too.

Every Thai I met who was living in England could speak English.

Aye, well I bet they weren't on a 1 year non-immigrant visa and still being referred to as an alien or a foreigner......after being in the country for decades.

i would add that many feel entitled because they are spending their money in Thailand, mostly on prostitutes, but they feel that all Thais should lay out the red carpet for them.

I think a lot of us just want to be able to cross the road at a pedestrian crossing without being in mortal danger.

Add that they can not read road safety signs, or other warnings and they become a danger on the roads.

The Thais can read the signs but just choose to ignore them. Lol.

At petrol stations they drive in the exit and out the entrance. I see it all the time. They ignore speed limits and go up the wrong side of the road, on the pavement even. And don't get me started on stop signs and pedestrian crossings.

It's not the farang that make Thailand's roads some of the most dangerous in the world. 

They should be banned.

😄 🤣 😂 

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I am probably intermediate level for speaking and listening. Can read and write some too.

ได้ครับ คุณละ

It isn’t difficult. Took me about six weeks to learn how read.

43 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Aye, well I bet they weren't on a 1 year non-immigrant visa and still being referred to as an alien or a foreigner.

Oh yes, we are just so welcoming to foreigners 

Rolling out the red carpet.

Sorry, with as long time in the country as.... well, the founder, I also from that part of the world where we let immigrants, refugees etc. live their own lives as long as they obey the law, it gets a bit too much of a better than u made " show making discussion " to be reading on a forum how I shall live in Thailand apart from following law and regulations.
Met both locals and foreigners here some good and some less good general behavior, but nothing I have seen and observed here or from individuals will make me adapt into a feudal society. I follow what I learned as a child as right/wrong no matter what part of society it is about. Btw, I get by in Thai, not fluently, but I manage. I have been to many, but not all, places in Thailand over time, have participated in everything from Thai / International sport events, religious sermons, delved into the culture and observed cultural differences and I respect the citizens' view of "their values" follow the law and that's it.

Btw, have we forgot "Thai Visa a in the 90`s😉

Felt

Edited by Felt 35

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...just highlighting a very vocal minority".

Not on this forum, where the very vocal majority of commentators do moan about Thais and Thailand tediously and consistently.

That’s right mate. 
He is just trying to backpeddle now you have called him out.

The moaning is predictable, and most of it based on lies or exaggerations.

I have told them a million times not to exaggerate