Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

CharlieH

On 10/12/2024 at 5:46 PM, Bday Prang said:

I nearly stopped reading when you mentioned a "housing estate"  .  I have been to Phuket several times , the first time was just before the sunami, I was only there for a week and was not overly impressed.

Some years later I went to help with translation for a Thai friend who has a construction company and was looking to secure some building contracts with a group of Belgians initially and some English guys who were looking to build a few condos. 

We were all over the Island looking for suitable building plots,  again I left pretty much unimpressed, as did my Thai mate 

I am perfectly happy here out in darkest Surin as are the few expats I associate with. plenty going on an never bored. plus the added bonus of no Indians or Russians or muslims  and very very few tourists, what's not to love ? . 

Ps Cats are free, dogs can be a little more expensive,  if one bites they are a stray but if you do kill one they suddenly have 5 owners all asking for money, so best to just keep on going 

The Tsunami was 20 years ago, and "some years later" was probably over a decade ago, a lot has changed, eg 95% of girlie bars are gone, replaced by restaurants and hotels, etc.

"Housing estate", nice quality houses,  and security guards so all is safe when I am out of the country, only residents are allowed in and out unless accompanied. 

I just looked out of the window, no Indians, Russians, or Muslims hanging about, the nearest tourist is probably ten miles away.

The few Russians I have come across while in Makro, restaurants, etc all seem quality people to me, seeing as it is Phuket they are the richer type, the riff-raff go to Pattaya I assume.

And I think most of the girls from the North East of Thailand who made up 99% of bar girls workers have returned home as no work for them here anymore, good riddance to that type of low life.  

But let's not waste time arguing over which area is best, you like the North East, I like Phuket and that is that. 👍

On 10/12/2024 at 3:36 PM, Bday Prang said:

Not that surprising considering that in over 30 years here I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have heard a Thai use the Thai word for "toilet"    Without exception they will use the words "hong nam"    which does not mean "toilet"

It means the equivalent of the toilet, the literal translation is " water room', which is also very similar to the earlier English name for toilet which was, "water closet". (English, not American English)

Hence "toilet" is the English term for "Hong Nam" and vice versa. 

Is It Enough?

Yes, if they can't afford to be somewhere else. That does not mean someone "likes" it though. It just means they are tolerating it. So there will still be complaining. Nobody is going to pretend to like something they don't like. I suppose they could balance the complaints with how it's more affordable, etc, just like you stated.

18 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

It means the equivalent of the toilet, the literal translation is " water room', which is also very similar to the earlier English name for toilet which was, "water closet". (English, not American English)

Hence "toilet" is the English term for "Hong Nam" and vice versa. 

The english word "toilet" specifically refers to the porcelain device that one sits on. ! Water closet"  refers specifically to the later developed "flushing toilet" denoting its use of water ( somewhat obviously)

The equivalent Thai word would be "chakro"

"Bathroom"  would be the english equivalent  of "hong nam"  A bathroom might not always be equipped with a toilet,  Same goes for the hong nam

On 10/12/2024 at 12:34 AM, JamesPhuket10 said:

In the late 1980's I was sitting in a very large house in Bangkok, it was owned by the ex-vice-president of Thailand,

What was the name of the president ?:clap2:

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2024 at 3:38 PM, JamesPhuket10 said:

Live in full-time servants. 

That would be "Khon rap chai"    not" conchie" no such word in Thai as far as i am aware

Edited by Bday Prang

On 10/12/2024 at 11:03 AM, BritManToo said:

I thought conchie was person born in Florida or a conscientious objector.

Well it certainly does not refer to a live in servant as one member has incorrectly stated

Thailand is my aged care plan. My Thai family will take care of me when I can no longer do so.

In Australia, aged care consists of being shoveled into a nursing home to rot, with food a dog would turn its nose up at, attended by overworked and underpaid carers.

I know a guy in Chiang Mai who is 93 yo. He is going blind. His Thai GF  ( 60-odd ) helps him with everything, and will be well provided for when he dies.

I don't understand expats here who refuse to learn any Thai. Life is so much easier, even with a basic vocabulary.

On 10/11/2024 at 11:17 AM, CharlieH said:

The answer often boils down to three things: the weather, affordability, and ease of access to companionship.

I have to disagree. We are here because we don't want to be there. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thailand is my aged care plan. My Thai family will take care of me when I can no longer do so.

In Australia, aged care consists of being shoveled into a nursing home to rot, with food a dog would turn its nose up at, attended by overworked and underpaid carers.

I know a guy in Chiang Mai who is 93 yo. He is going blind. His Thai GF  ( 60-odd ) helps him with everything, and will be well provided for when he dies.

I don't understand expats here who refuse to learn any Thai. Life is so much easier, even with a basic vocabulary.

Don't agree with you I am 77 now not in age care my Thai wife works in age care I went a few times and have had a meal there and the meal was very nice on par with the meal I cook at home