Apple Ipad advice

Kenny202

I am currently using a cheaper Tablet, Huawei about 3 or 4 years old. It works well but chugs a bit after a while. Use it mainly for surfing and online auctions where internet speed is important. I want to get something a bit better hopefully faster but don't want to spend huge money as most of my internet stuff done on the phone or PC. I wont be using it for banking apps, games or such. Looking at maybe a used Ipad Gen 8, Gen 9 (release date 2020 / 2021) seems to be in my price range. Look like the support life of these might finish next year or year after that. Is that going to be an issue for me?

I am pretty sure the general performance will be better but will my speed on the internet re bidding live online auctions improve much? I notice when I look at my current tablet side by side with my PC, when viewing a live broadcast my current  tablet lags by a second or two and this also means my bids will be a second or two later. Any advice appreciated

Wired ethernet connections will almost always have less latency than wireless. A faster wireless tablet will process the display of the web page faster. Upgrading a wifi router using N or AC to AX based wireless (wifi6) will be faster for the actual communication between the router if you have strong signal. . Wifi is always subject to interference causing packet retransmission which adds lag. 

So wired for time sensitive interaction. Wireless for everything else.

what is the wireless router being used ?

• Thumbs Up 1

The router is hard to get at to check but from True and under a year old. They changed it when we complained about speed last time. Most of the pages we view that is time critical is live so not so concerned about speed of opening new pages....just receiving the ongoing live broadcast faster if possible.

So all things being equal you are saying the actual internet speed of a newer / better tablet will be pretty much the same? Just the overall performance of the tablet will be better?

If your existing tablet is using wireless N, a new tablet using wireles AX will be snappier and seem faster.  But the router has to be providing wireless AX.

So maybe. Even if the router and the tablet support wireless AX, if there is a lot of interference from neighbors , you may not notice any difference. Wired will always be more reliable.

i don't know what the wireless router is providing. I don’t know what your existing tablet is using for wireless. 

ipad9 is 

Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) with 2x2 MIMO; speeds up to 866 Mbps

Ipad 10 is 

• Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO
  • Simultaneous dual band

• should be roughly 2x wireless bandwidth  as ipad9, all other things being equal.
  •  

12 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

The router is hard to get at to check but from True and under a year old. They changed it when we complained about speed last time. Most of the pages we view that is time critical is live so not so concerned about speed of opening new pages....just receiving the ongoing live broadcast faster if possible.

So all things being equal you are saying the actual internet speed of a newer / better tablet will be pretty much the same? Just the overall performance of the tablet will be better?

The Internet Speed depends on the package you are paying for, from whom, how many other users at that particular time, the network speed of your PC/tablet's network adapter (1000Mb/s? ) and what other apps you are running at the same time. 

51 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I am currently using a cheaper Tablet, Huawei about 3 or 4 years old. It works well but chugs a bit after a while. Use it mainly for surfing and online auctions where internet speed is important. I want to get something a bit better hopefully faster but don't want to spend huge money as most of my internet stuff done on the phone or PC. I wont be using it for banking apps, games or such. Looking at maybe a used Ipad Gen 8, Gen 9 (release date 2020 / 2021) seems to be in my price range. Look like the support life of these might finish next year or year after that. Is that going to be an issue for me?

Apple supports for 5 years from date of first availability.

24 minutes ago, degrub said:

Apple supports for 5 years from date of first availability.

That is not correct. Apple does not give a support lifetime.
It is  also incorrect that the supported iOS versions are limited to 5 years from initial release.

The supported life is variable and can be as long as 8 years ( 160% longer ) but is never less than 6 (120% longer).

The net effect is that on average apple devices have double the lifetime of android devices.

That being said an older iPad will be very significantly slower than a current one due to the processors being updated very much faster. So as your aim is to get low latency as has been mentioned a faster device needs faster WiFi to be comparable 

You haven’t given an indication of your budget so it is impossible to make recommendations, nor have you given details of your WiFi setup.

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is not correct. Apple does not give a support lifetime.
It is  also incorrect that the supported iOS versions are limited to 5 years from initial release.

The supported life is variable and can be as long as 8 years ( 160% longer ) but is never less than 6 (120% longer).

The net effect is that on average apple devices have double the lifetime of android devices.

That being said an older iPad will be very significantly slower than a current one due to the processors being updated very much faster. So as your aim is to get low latency as has been mentioned a faster device needs faster WiFi to be comparable 

You haven’t given an indication of your budget so it is impossible to make recommendations, nor have you given details of your WiFi setup.

The reason I haven't got into Wifi details too much is the router hard to get to without a ladder and we have had True out here 3 times over speed issues. Been down that road already and according to them its as good as it gets. The router is only 6-9 months old. The tech actually showed me he speed test on his laptop near 900mbps if that is the correct terminology. I still reckon he had a screenshot saved on his laptop use for just such a demo.

Anyway, that being said I am only interested in comparing devices. Good or bad internet connection will an older device be noticeably slower on a live stream (internet wise / not system wise) than a newer model? If we are only talking nano seconds, not full seconds I wont worry. Thanks for all the advice 🙂 I don't really know anything about this stuff and probably talking nonsense

If you can log into the router, you can likely get the brand and model number. Or maybe it is listed under your service plan. Or ask True what they provided. 

Was the True tech connected by Ethernet wire or wireless ?