Sattahip Women Arrested for Playing Card Game Without Asking for Permission

webfact

image.jpeg

Sattahip — A group of Thai women was arrested in Sattahip for playing cards illegally after being misled by social media reports that they could gamble legally without needing permission.

On October 13th, Sattahip police received a tip from concerned citizens that a group of women were gambling by playing Pok Deng behind a local restaurant near the Bang Saray Night Market. Officers immediately responded to the report.

Upon arrival, authorities arrested four Thai unidentified women and seized evidence including a deck of Pok Deng cards, 240 baht in cash, and a cloth used for the game. The suspects were taken into custody and transported to Sattahip Police Station for further legal proceedings.

According to the police, the suspects had violated the Gambling Act of 1935 and were charged with “engaging in unauthorized gambling for financial gain.”

By Aim Tanakorn

PHOTO: TMN Cable TV Pattaya

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 

-- 2024-10-15

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the police, the suspects had violated the Gambling Act of 1935 and were charged with “engaging in unauthorized gambling for financial gain.”

"for financial gain.”????

Does that mean that they can only charge them if they won?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Been the law since forever, and Thais know it.

Not as harmless as it appears. Naive ladies are drawn in by card sharks and cheated in a confidence game out of a lot more money than they can afford. Borrowing results and then the attempt to win back losses.

The money on the table here may or may not represent face value. They were aware of the possibility of being caught.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

240 THB... how  dare they.. Card games... suppose it were bull running or cock fights that is allowed but a simple game at home you need to as permission.... Police  officer we want to play a card game can I get permission?? Police officer : how  much money is involved ??? I think 500 THB .. Police officer: That is too less to bribe us.. play it and we will arrest you/

Yeah remember the old bridge games at the retirement homes scandal here - if I am not mistaken, they said it was illegal to have too many decks of playing cards.  What a stupid waste of police time!  Okay to go gambling at cock fights, run across the border and gamble but oh no you can't plaly card game.  Wonder if they would arrest kids for playing Old Maid or Fish orWar?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Yeah remember the old bridge games at the retirement homes scandal here - if I am not mistaken, they said it was illegal to have too many decks of playing cards.  What a stupid waste of police time!  Okay to go gambling at cock fights, run across the border and gamble but oh no you can't plaly card game.  Wonder if they would arrest kids for playing Old Maid or Fish orWar?

Yes, against Thai law to have more than 120 playing cards not registered with the exise dept law origianlly passed in 1943 !  google it if you don't believe me.  Says Thai police can enter anyplace at any time if they believe there are illegal playing cards there!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ronster said:

Why did these women not get to wear balaclavas and sunglasses like a lot of criminals do in these photo ops 😷😎🥸

No point. They're 'unidentified', no one knows who they are but somone knows they are Thai.😀

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

My thought exactly.  RTP must be bored out of their tiny brains to expend resources/man power on such trivia.  Meanwhile another 40+ people died on the unpoliced roads of Thailand.

you say 40 plus people died on the road but they wrer not plaing cards,can you be breathalysed for playind cards ?

8 minutes ago, portisaacozzy said:

and the police are proud of it !!!!

Of course they are. You must understand that they have caught 3 illegal card layer that has during long time evaded the law.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

pon arrival, authorities arrested four Thai unidentified women and seized evidence including a deck of Pok Deng cards, 240 baht in cash, and a cloth used for the game

Utterly pathetic...      this is such a waste of resources.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...for which the government provides insufficient police budget or equipment.   How do you expect officers to police all the roads?

They clearly have the budget to use their resources to arrest 4 women for playing a 240 baht game of cards, so they can certainly ride / walk around town and fine those without helmets, driving dangerously and running red lights.... 

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Been the law since forever, and Thais know it.

Not as harmless as it appears. Naive ladies are drawn in by card sharks and cheated in a confidence game out of a lot more money than they can afford. Borrowing results and then the attempt to win back losses.

The money on the table here may or may not represent face value. They were aware of the possibility of being caught.

Valid point, if 240 baht may have been representative of 240,000 baht etc...  but why not use bottle tops instead etc... 

...  I get the 'thin end of the wedge' argument and its not without merit but still.... arresting 4 ladies for a 240 baht game of cards on the face of it seems so very disproportionate.....  

... And then there is the hypocrisy, are there any Policeman who don't gamble ???  (all those I know, gamble over anything).