Phuket taxi driver hits foreign man on airport zebra crossing

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, Mickboy said:

A Thai taxi driver hit a foreign man on a zebra crossing at Phuket International Airport yesterday leaving the man with serious injuries

Hit him with what ?

Might have been a stick or a crate of beer; might even have been a car!

18 minutes ago, Mickboy said:

A Thai taxi driver hit a foreign man on a zebra crossing at Phuket International Airport yesterday leaving the man with serious injuries

Hit him with what ?

A taxi I assume.

26 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Hasn't stopped me yet, I think I am up to 4 people who've felt my wrath. Like I said, it's self-defense, they tried to hit me with their 4000lb weapon in a Zebra crossing.

I don't know that I believe your story but you go with that. If that is what you do its pretty foolish and you will lose at your game at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Yes but i was in a situation similar at Zebra crossing. The police do not have to press charges if a settlement is reached. The police will negotiate between the victim and the driver. No matter what, pedestrians have the right of way everywhere, especially at Zebra crossings. 

Yes police negotiate as they don't want to have to do all the paperwork and then appear in court. It undermines the punishment needed to deter violations. Your court example is seldom if every successful even if you were to win. I don't believe pedestrians have the right if way everywhere, only at marked and designated crosswalks. Having the right of way does little to help if your tragically injured or killed. Collecting on penalties\fines is a whole other can of worms

36 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I don't know that I believe your story but you go with that. If that is what you do its pretty foolish and you will lose at your game at some point.

My daughter was with me each time, which is why they felt my wrath. Getting within inches of someone in a Zebra crossing is attempted murder in my book, I will defend my daughter and myself at all costs. Exactly how do you see me losing? I am more than half way cross a Zebra crossing, and a car is trying to run me over.....it's against the law, a 4000 baht fine for doing so, 40,000 baht fine if they hit me in the crossing. The only one going to lose will be the driver. But I've stopped walking to pick her up anymore, too dangerous, but when I have too, I also am wearing my DJI actioncamera on the magnetic necklace to cover myself against aggressive and dangerous drivers who will no doubt lie. 

• Haha 2

Number one he doesn't have a kind heart He's driving hiding his evilness behind his tinted windows and he has no tax and no insurance and even if he didn't have insurance you're looking at a few thousand dollars for the compensation of a missing limb.

4 hours ago, Dan O said:

If you're already in the crosswalk or its marked like at airports its the drivers responsibility to stop. However in Thailand all bets are off and no real punishment will fix the lack of mental awareness of the dangers Thai drivers cause without any concept of risk. 

Not real sure why you keep quoting UK, this is Thailand and its not comparable

I think the taxi either just picked someone up and  buy lookifbrwsr view mirror and the victim probably walked across without due care and attention or maybe even ran across lokkog at his trainers probably did but still no excuse from the driver striking some warrants a stop on a crossing or not 

Was trying to compare the mentality of the people but lots people dont know how to cross safely without intimidating that's all respect wise people here piss all over the people there , no more comparisons you bought this up not me 

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There must be a deterrent, there must be a reason for people to stop beyond courtesy, beyond respect, beyond doing it because it's the right thing to do. There has to be a threat of huge fines, or prison time, or confiscation of the vehicle. Somebody needs to step up and take charge and take care of this problem, or it will simply continue for decades into the future. 

Yes, they need to be made aware that once a pedestrian sets a foot on a Zebra crossing - he/she takes priority, and drivers are responsible if they hit them. Too many times this fact is ignored.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, nickmondo said:

Thailand is a nice please to live..........but my god, the drivers.......nuff said

It is a very odd phenomena, some Thais seem to be gentle and kind, and then they get behind a wheel and it is truly Jeckyl and Hyde. 

18 hours ago, mdr224 said:

I dont understand pedestrians or even cyclists in thailand. Far too risky to be on the roads in anything less than an SUV. If you place any trust in thai drivers you will end up dead eventually

It seems like we can consistently count on you to make rather silly statements. Can you honestly say that you've never had a cross a road in Thailand, and you would only do it with an SUV? At that point where are you going to park? 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

Bronson!

You know you're raising interesting point. I'm not necessarily a supporter of vigilanticism per se, but I do think that when the law and the authorities do not take matters into their own hands, and act when action is needed, perhaps there are occasions when the citizens should and could rise up and take action themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, john donson said:

nah the rich like to be above the law... red bull killer...

Well the sad reality is that they not only like to be above the law, but they are above the law. Even somebody with a relatively modest fortune of say 200 million baht is above the law in Thailand. So when you're talking about centi millionaires, or billionaires they essentially own the police and the government. 

• Like 1

I've driven here for 16 years and at age 75 my reflexes are slower.  There are careful and good drivers here.  I drive a lot in the countryside on usually two lane roads. Perhaps I've adjusted to the point where I think this is normal.  Whenever we travel to Bangkok I am more tense and nervous.  I definitely do not use Zebra crossings and avoid even walking near traffic.  In my military career I've driven in Naples, Italy; Panama, South Korea, and in Vietnam.  I am not Buddhist.  My wife of 51 years is probably closer to being an agnostic than a Buddhist.

18 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Someone should inform the victim that not only can he file a criminal case against the driver but also a civil case resulting in his medical bills being paid plus any suffering or money lost due to incapacitation. He only needs to file a report. Hitting a pedestrian ar a zebra crossing is highly illegal. Injuring them even a little ups the driving crime level and monetary settlement will surely be awarded to the victim. 

Yes, the victim can file a report.

You can also clap your heels together and go back to Kansas.

Assuming that the victim does not have brain damage and is not in a coma,  the standard response from the  driver will be one of the following;

1. Catch me if you can.

2. It wasn't me.

3. Let's drag out the process  for a few years to beat the statute of limitations or  set it up such that the farang isn't around to pursue the matter.

4. No have money, Sowwy. Here's a wai and an insincere smirk with a bunch of flowers pinched from the cemetery. Smell ya later sucker.

• Like 1