High-end Hotels Plan Rate Hike Amid Tourist Surge

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only. Courtesy: Wikipedia

As the tourism sector anticipates a booming high season, posh hotel operators are expected to increase room rates. The latest hotel operator sentiment index suggests a rise in tourists, especially impacting luxury accommodations, while budget hotels are struggling to keep up.

Thienprasit Chaiyapatranun, president of the Thai Hotels Association (THA), revealed that September's average occupancy rate stood at 55%, a drop from August's 62%. This is also lower than pre-pandemic levels, with 2019 figures showing 63.4% occupancy in the same period.

Diving deeper, Thienprasit noted that three-star hotels and below reported a mere 45% occupancy for September. In stark contrast, four-star and above accommodations enjoyed a higher rate of 58.7%.

Regional variations were also significant; northern hotels were hit hardest with a drop to 25.7%, primarily due to severe flooding. Meanwhile, central hotels led with a 64.4% rate, and the eastern region followed at 57.1%. The South and Northeast both logged 49% occupancy.

During the high season, luxury hotels plan to raise rates modestly, with an increase of less than 10%. However, four-star and above establishments predict room rate surges of over 20%, given their robust performance in the third quarter.

October's occupancy rates so far stand at 55.6%, with a predicted tourist uptick of 5-10% in the last quarter. The Chinese market remains unpredictable, with 35% of hoteliers not foreseeing more arrivals, while 27% anticipate a decline. Nonetheless, 38% expect a 10-20% rise, primarily favouring four-star hotels.

Concerning domestic tourism, 65% of operators foresee flat or declining bookings, with 19% predicting a drop exceeding 10%.

Thienprasit expressed concerns over persistent flooding, urging government intervention with relief measures to help hotels recover in time for the upcoming season. Tourism recovery heavily depends on financial assistance and reduced utility costs to offset damages caused by recent floods, reported Bangkok Post.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-17

news-footer-3.png

image.png

Lets see the end of this month, right now down in Phuket it looks a bit slow, the weather is not helping the rains have normally stopped by not in the south of Phuket, 

I was down Nai Harn beach this morning, I dont see any tourist, only expats that live here, 

Prices have been high for ages in samui when I looked and the prices over Xmas and new year were a joke for around 12 nights .

Bandara was something like 275,000 but room only and anantara was 450,000 for an average looking room described as a junior suite . These are not even high end hotels 😄

If you want to travel in high season expect to pay hotel and air transportation @ a higher rate its been pointed out its merely supply and demand. 

Any parents that can only travel @ school holidays will testify to that.

Luckily for most of us oldies who still work we choose our holidays when work colleagues don't want so we can book well in advance at cheaper times

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Don’t blame them. I would if I owned one. High end hotels are still generally well priced (at least compared to 1st world countries) in Thailand. 

In first world countries salaries are 10 x what they are here, food is more expensive and property prices are a fraction of the cost here...it's just most.grubbing, but hey, can still get a fan bungalow on Samui for 450 Baht

4 hours ago, Rolo89 said:

Prices for the December will have already been increased to make money on the holiday surge. 

Yes. Most hotels know their seasonal demand and increase prices accordingly. Back in April, I was looking to book my favoured 3 star hotel in Pattaya for 28th December to 5th  January. I know the manager and asked to book. Already fully booked. Looked on Agoda for nearby, similar hotels and the prices already more than doubled. I understand the surge and accept it. Many businesses use "dynamic" pricing based on demand. If they didn't, they wouldn't survive.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Lets see the end of this month, right now down in Phuket it looks a bit slow, the weather is not helping the rains have normally stopped by not in the south of Phuket, 

I was down Nai Harn beach this morning, I dont see any tourist, only expats that live here, 

Maybe the word is spreading that Phuket...aka..LittleMoscow... is a bad choice ?

40 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Wasn't it just last week that the Hotel Industry were crying to TAT to help them because of low bookings?

They will increase if the demand increases, as I said it happens in all countries. I was in Singapore on a  business trip during then F1 last month. The hotel the company booked is normally S$300.00 was costing S$575.00 die to high demand.