Tell me why Pattaya to BKK by his

georgegeorgia

One of my interests is why people travel from Pattaya to Bangkok to save a pittance 

Again this morning in my Hotel I watched a retired couple from the USA complete with pushing their luggage bags order a Grab to take them to the North Pattaya bus station to go to Bangkok 

I actually heard him say to the reception would he have to order another Grab when he got to Bangkok to go to the hotel there or could they get the SkyTrain 

I'm thinking why? Why don't you just pay 1200 baht for a taxi car door to door ?

How much are you saving ,so let's look at it.

Grab probably 70-90  baht to bus station 

Bus to Bangkok 200 baht each ?

Then when they get to Bangkok another Grab -150-200 baht ?

So they saved 600 baht 

Please tell me if that's worth it and why do you travel by bus 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

The bus drivers (normally) actually know where they are going, hardly  ever brake down  or run out of fuel halfway along the way and tend not to drive like kamikaze pilots ,not the white mini bus drivers they are the worst kamikaze's talking here about the bigger busses  like those from

Roong Reung Coach Co .,Ltd in Jomtien 

143  baht to the Swammpypoom  unbeatable value

https://airportpattayabus.com/#

With Taxi they will often try to get you to pay the tolls  even though you thought they were included in the price already...sometimes its hard to fit all luggage in the boot  due to it being half full with a gas canister  :shock1:

Skytain and underground are also good value  though having 3 different companies operating various lines  is a bit confusing with signage, ticketing

and having to use the "skywalker" to connect them..not ideal but still not too bad.

• Like 2

For almost 1 year I was going Bangkok twice per month (sometimes just for the day to go see my Dentist, others overnight see my mates), never had anything more than a rucksack with me so would take the bus & the roundtrip costs would be:-

1. 2 x 100B Bolt (approx. 25B tip in each of those) to/from Pattaya Nua Bus Station = 200B
  2. 2 x 131B RR Bus (may have gone up now) = 262B
  3. 2 x 70B (this is a guess, I just topped my cards up when they got low) for the BTS/MRT to Silom = 140B

Total = 602B

Taxi (Condo to Dentist) would probably be around 1,500B (You can get it on Bolt for around 1,250B + Tolls but you risk the driver not wanting to take you, Grab is more likely to take you but you're looking at around 1,700B) - add on + I00B Tip = 1,600B so a saving of 998B (x 4, I was doing 2 return trips per month) = 3,992B per month saving.

But I agree, if I were lumping luggage around with me I would choose the Taxi route

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

One of my interests is why people travel from Pattaya to Bangkok to save a pittance 

Again this morning in my Hotel I watched a retired couple from the USA complete with pushing their luggage bags order a Grab to take them to the North Pattaya bus station to go to Bangkok 

I actually heard him say to the reception would he have to order another Grab when he got to Bangkok to go to the hotel there or could they get the SkyTrain 

I'm thinking why? Why don't you just pay 1200 baht for a taxi car door to door ?

So they saved 600 baht 

Ah, fondly remember my first trip in 2009. I would just observe that it is a learning experience so I would think they thought that was the best way of doing things simply by not knowing the alternatives. I was quite lucky, found a driver with car near the hotel I was staying … reasonable cost and I was still working so I hired him to both take me around some in Bangkok and drive me to Pattaya. I have now been here 13+ years and am much more able to wheel and deal than during that first trip.

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

So they saved 600 baht 

I am not quite clear where you are going with this.

Some people might save the proverbial dime as they might operate on tighter budgets, others can't deal with the cabbie lobby which is a guild of its own, some come from a background, where you take a taxi only if there is nothing each per available. If you have the time and are afraid that something might go wrong with a taxi, you're better off with the arguably more tedious way to get from A to B 😉 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hour ride with a comfortable raxi, door to door and they pay tolls, 1200 baht is cheap as chips, alternative cramp yourself into a bus ,wait until they are ready to depart, sit next to an overweight drunk, fear of catching a virus, it is a no brainer unless your a cheap Charlie, when I get back to my own country it costs just as much for a 20 minute ride.

• Agree 1

Its a valid point when considering bigger picture thinking...

a) 1500 baht taxi ride 

vs 

b) Grab + Bus  + Grab or BTS (+ hassle of baggage)... 

Are people who've flown half way around the world that hard up ???

The difference is 3 or 4 beers... 

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

why would any normal person concern themselves with how others choose to travel,     Absolutely unbelievable . get a life

You don't believe in the study of Sociology then ? 

The manner in which people behave and reasons for doing things is often of interest to many ?

If being 100% honest with yourself have you never seen someone doing something and thought...'why' ???....  i.e. why do so many people get up while the plane is still taxiing etc...  (rhetorical example).

another example... .. why would someone post on a forum telling someone to get a life, thus concerning themselves with someone else's opinion, thus falling foul of their own 'get a life' comment...  hmmm...

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Coming from the same guy who just started a thread that he can't afford Thailand anymore, because even the 100 baht t-shirts are too expensive for him

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

So they saved 600 baht 

You could have saved an hour of your life not starting this thread. 

The OP is assuming the tourists know what taxis cost here in Thailand.  That same ride would probably cost upwards of $200 USD back home.   As far back as 20 years ago, I'd take a taxi from the airport (IAH) to town in Houston and it was about $150.  And that's nowhere near the distance from Patts to BKK.

I don't frequent Pattaya, but I take the bus from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok because of several white knuckle experiences I've had with kamikaze vans, private cars and taxis.  Takes longer, but I don't get the sense I may die at any minute.  If the schedule works out, I even take the train, though that takes even longer.  It just feels safer (and historic).  Has nothing to do with any cost difference.

Edited by impulse