Foreign 'Mafia' Harass Tourists in Pattaya, Taunt Local Police

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In Pattaya, tensions are rising as foreign mafia members have been harassing restaurant customers and showing blatant disregard for the law.

The latest incident occurred in Soi Pattaya Tai 17, where a foreign man, believed to be of Burmese origin, regularly enters a restaurant demanding money from tourists.

When confronted by the restaurant owner, Ms. Saipirun (surname withheld), the man arrogantly replied that he was asking the customers, not her, showing no respect for the local business.

Ms. Saipirun explained that this individual has been coming to her restaurant daily, causing discomfort among the patrons. “When I asked him to leave, he just shrugged it off,” she said. “He claimed that he wasn’t afraid of anyone, including the police.” On one occasion, she threatened to call the police, but the man confidently retorted that he wasn’t afraid of the authorities and encouraged her to call them.

Local residents have also expressed their frustration regarding the ongoing harassment. A concerned Facebook user recently posted about the situation, asking if any agencies could take serious action against foreign beggars who not only request money but also display inappropriate behaviour.

Many have reported similar experiences, noting that these individuals often approach tourists with aggressive tactics, shouting and demanding money in a manner that leaves visitors feeling unsafe.

This isn’t an isolated incident. There have been reports of foreign beggars acting like mafia in the area, intimidating both locals and tourists. They often appear intoxicated, shouting for money or food, and have been known to grab doors in an attempt to force entry.

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Daily News

Residents recount instances where these individuals aggressively approached diners, particularly at night, causing alarm for both locals and foreign visitors.

Despite the frequent harassment, law enforcement has been unable to effectively address the issue. Some locals feel that the police are not taking the situation seriously enough, leaving them feeling vulnerable and unprotected. The ongoing presence of these individuals has led to a decline in the sense of security in what is traditionally a vibrant tourist hub.

Local residents and business owners are urging the authorities to take immediate action to resolve the problem and restore safety in Pattaya, a popular global tourist destination.

They are calling for increased police presence in the area and a crackdown on these foreign mafia groups to ensure that Pattaya remains a safe and welcoming environment for tourists and residents alike, reported Daily News.

TOP Picture courtesy: Daily News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-19

news-footer-3.png

image.png

How do you know it's a mafia behind those actions? Do they have a sticker on their shirt: I'm a mafiosi ??😂

55 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

In what world do you live where a baseball bat resolves this issue ?  How is violence the answer at anytime except self defense.?

You answered your own question.

1 hour ago, SbuxPlease said:

Aside from all the harping on the word "mafia", I have noticed a phenomenon where some obnoxious guys will descend on an area and largely annoy the locals

-Watch sellers

-Beggars that stand at your table to demand money

-Fruit trucks with loud speakers

-TukTuks and Taxis who park all over the area and have no taxi meter calling out to you

-Temple beggars with huge drum and cymbol sets banging their way up the street

I dunno, all these people exist to separate people who are otherwise having a nice meal outside from their money by acting in the most obnoxious way possible.

At a bar I used to frequent in Bangkok the Thai lady wife of the owner used to lock the door when the loud drums etc were heard approaching from down the street.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So more of a beggar than mafia, good we cleared that up

lets start a little competition..put up a series of stories and we, the members will choose the correct header.

What part of Italy is he from?

Can he cook?

Then he should go to Samui, they don't know what good Italian is there (yeah, even that restaurant in Fisherman's village with the Italian maitre d

They all claim they cook their grandmother's recipes but don't tell us granny wasn't that great of a cook.

Believe or not Los Angeles has incredible Italian food, some by chef's who aren't Italian but know how to cook French style.

It's called Cal-Italian and frequently has fresh ingredients from a local farm.

Why does LA have better Italian food than Thailand?!? 🤔

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In Pattaya, tensions are rising as foreign mafia members have been harassing restaurant customers and showing blatant disregard for the law.

The latest incident occurred in Soi Pattaya Tai 17, where a foreign man, believed to be of Burmese origin, regularly enters a restaurant demanding money from tourists.

When confronted by the restaurant owner, Ms. Saipirun (surname withheld), the man arrogantly replied that he was asking the customers, not her, showing no respect for the local business.

Ms. Saipirun explained that this individual has been coming to her restaurant daily, causing discomfort among the patrons. “When I asked him to leave, he just shrugged it off,” she said. “He claimed that he wasn’t afraid of anyone, including the police.” On one occasion, she threatened to call the police, but the man confidently retorted that he wasn’t afraid of the authorities and encouraged her to call them.

Local residents have also expressed their frustration regarding the ongoing harassment. A concerned Facebook user recently posted about the situation, asking if any agencies could take serious action against foreign beggars who not only request money but also display inappropriate behaviour.

Many have reported similar experiences, noting that these individuals often approach tourists with aggressive tactics, shouting and demanding money in a manner that leaves visitors feeling unsafe.

This isn’t an isolated incident. There have been reports of foreign beggars acting like mafia in the area, intimidating both locals and tourists. They often appear intoxicated, shouting for money or food, and have been known to grab doors in an attempt to force entry.

image.jpeg

Residents recount instances where these individuals aggressively approached diners, particularly at night, causing alarm for both locals and foreign visitors.

Despite the frequent harassment, law enforcement has been unable to effectively address the issue. Some locals feel that the police are not taking the situation seriously enough, leaving them feeling vulnerable and unprotected. The ongoing presence of these individuals has led to a decline in the sense of security in what is traditionally a vibrant tourist hub.

Local residents and business owners are urging the authorities to take immediate action to resolve the problem and restore safety in Pattaya, a popular global tourist destination.

They are calling for increased police presence in the area and a crackdown on these foreign mafia groups to ensure that Pattaya remains a safe and welcoming environment for tourists and residents alike, reported Daily News.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-19

news-footer-3.png

image.png

Police are too busy having hookers dance for them at the station... Can't be bothered to do their job... 🤣 Reference another ASEASN NOW STORY ..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

No. Is it an American Quote ? And who is it Quoted from ?

Yes it was an American quote. That would be from President Teddy Roosevelt 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So more of a beggar than mafia, good we cleared that up

Thanks, my thought as well. Hardly a mafia in the true sense, just a few Burmese migrants and not gangsters like these:

312 Gangster Gun Car Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free ...

Imagine this happening in Pattaya -oh what fun shooting up all the go-go prossie bars!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

In what world? Where exactly do you live? In a convent? Try looking around. This is the REAL world, out here. Doesn't sound like you're living in it. What exactly is your idea of self defense? The guy was threatening and extorting people. That's all you need. Ever hear the quote "talk softly but carry a big stick"? You don't have to actually beat the guy, but if he stands there threatening and being aggressive then he needs a beating. Chances are if you pull out a bat the coward will run home to mama crying. I can tell you that if he threatened me I wouldn't hesitate to crack a chair over his head if need be. But I'll bet a good slap upside the head. would send him running. No warning, just a slap hard enough to knock him over and humiliate him in front of his victims. These people deserve no less. It would all be on video, so self defense.

Hmm,... apparently, you haven't read many newspapers in Thailand. These guys usually come back with a machete or a gun after being humiliated !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

No. Is it an American Quote ? And who is it Quoted from ?

Perhaps if you weren't too lazy to copy it into Google (or whichever search engine you favour), you'd see it's popularised by and often attributed to U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt 

You can thank me later 😆

And, getting back on topic, the restaurant owner needs to be seen to physically throw a couple of these beggars out, or have a friend do it....IF they enter the restaurant.

The pic in the OP though, dhows one standing OUTSIDE and looking in to beg. This has been happening in Pattaya for as long as I can remember.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sungod said:

Never heard that before, zero out of ten for your originality. Well done!

when I lived in Chiang Mai a few years ago now, Burmese used to hassle people walking home from Tapei Gate. They even killed someone on a bike with a machete .

The police did nothing much until all the bar owners got together and paid the police to patrol the area ,they came into the bars and signed a book every few hours , i think it cost 300 Bhat a week for each bar but it cleaned the Burmese out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Demanding money or begging.  Threatening or begging.  Huge difference. 

"If you don't give me money, I'm going to hit you with 'The Wai Of Death!'"

Now are the beggars run my mafia?  Probably - Thai mafia, not foreign mafia.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-19

news-footer-3.png

image.png

Nothing new under the sun here.