Foreign 'Mafia' Harass Tourists in Pattaya, Taunt Local Police

webfact

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

when I lived in Chiang Mai a few years ago now, Burmese used to hassle people walking home from Tapei Gate. They even killed someone on a bike with a machete .

The police did nothing much until all the bar owners got together and paid the police to patrol the area ,they came into the bars and signed a book every few hours , i think it cost 300 Bhat a week for each bar but it cleaned the Burmese out.

Was thinking that this is the responsibility of the restaurant owners' community to sort out, not nutters with baseball bats. If I were a customer and became intimidated by an outsider with the restaurant taking no action I would go talk to the most senior person and make it clear that if the restaurant was not going to do anything about it I would walk out without paying, or maybe with a deduction. It maybe that the customers have to take the initiative in getting ultimate police action.

I remember being approached by a semi-intimidating beggar as I sat outside a Phnom Penh restaurant on a tourist street. I got up and went to the manager and asked if he was going to do anything about it. He ummed and aaghed and I made it clear I would walk and never come back. He immediately went and confronted the beggar and I did go back a few days later and the manager came over and said he was happy I had taken that action because he had since talked with a few of his neighbouring restaurateurs and they had all decided to support each other in stopping the street beggars coming to table.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I sympathise with your coming from such a dreadful country, but other countries, including Thailand, have some of the same problems as your home.

Lou, thanks for your input, here's me thinking this was about Thailand.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So more of a beggar than mafia, good we cleared that up

I read the head line expecting a story about a European or American gang trying to start a protection racket. Instead it was a single Burmese beggar.

Local residents and business owners are urging the authorities to take immediate action to resolve the problem and restore safety in Pattaya,

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the inept police neglects, they better take matters into own hands fast.

Hiring local goons and beat them up badly.

Toss them into the sea in the dark of the night.

Who cares even if criminal illegal aliens disappear all of sudden?

One great thing about this kingdom, not so many bleeding-heart do-gooders unlike in the west.

Edited by black tabby12345

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I sympathise with your coming from such a dreadful country, but other countries, including Thailand, have some of the same problems as your home.

Lou, thanks for your input, here's me thinking this was about Thailand.

You're thanking me for responding to someone else?  Since when have you been his spokesman...or the arbiter of what (not addressed to you) is deserving of thanks, come to that?