Restaurants taking the biscuit, tax now per person charge !

DonniePeverley

21 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Entirely up to the restaurant to charge whatever they want. If you don't approve, or it's more than you can afford, go somewhere else.

Make sure you have the exact money to pay the price advertised before the small print or any other charges are added. It worked for me.

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

ask for full VAT reciept, if they can't produce it they're not actually submitting their VAT to the taxman, and can be reported

telltale sign that they don't actually submit their tax is that even their small reciept do not have their tax ID number printed on

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/25/2024 at 11:51 AM, Thingamabob said:

Entirely up to the restaurant to charge whatever they want. If you don't approve, or it's more than you can afford, go somewhere else.

Of course restaurants can charge what they want but i object to them showing misleading prices in their menus trying to fool their customers.

• Confused 1

To me, there’s not much legitimacy to the whole VAT issue as that’s compulsory under the law.. so that is what it is.. yes, one can argue HOW it’s administered- be that “baked” into the menu/sticker price or added in addition too.. but the tax itself is legit 

the service charge.. that to me is different.. I agree that there’s a legit argument made for the case that by adding is a fixed cost and unavoidable - you have undercut what what a tip” is supposed to be - a post-sale, discretionary payment in recognition of service provided at some level or above.. by assessing it at 10% across the board and not voluntary, there’s no external motivation to go above and beyond .. nor is there any real risk to sub-par service either.

So.. I do think there’s a legit case to be made for how “service charges” are done here (by many but not all) but the VAT is a different case. 

• Confused 1

On 10/25/2024 at 12:12 PM, biggles45 said:

The added 'service charge' annoys me the most. I will decide if the service was good enough to get a tip. 

My question when they do this is who gets the money and how is it divided.  I don't mind the charge if the place has good service and the money is divided as extra income to the cooks, bus boys and others.  I domind when they use it as a means to gain the money to pay normal wage.  Had a bargirl tell me that when you tip the waitress by leaving it in the folder that goes t the bar staff and not the waitresses.  I am not sure if it is true, but I started tipping the waitress individually if they were cute and the beer was cold.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jippytum said:

I never patronise a restaurant that  enforces a fixed service  charge +++

I tip  staff for good food and service not a fixed payment to the owner. 

I only patronise those that do have a ++ as the riff raff typically to do not !

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Of course restaurants can charge what they want but i object to them showing misleading prices in their menus trying to fool their customers.

So. as I said, go somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I only patronise those that do have a ++ as the riff raff typically to do not !

You still pay wether you get good service or not. Greedy management love suckers like you.