Are drivers scamming you?

Eaglekott

The only times when the Bolt drivers try to cheat is when they turn aroung and ask to pay extra that is not included on the app. I usually politely refuse and then complain against the crook on the application. Happened many times in Hua HIn where the Bolt drivers were now and them quite agressive and rude and never even bothered to get out an help to unload all the goods I usually had when comming back from the mall.

If not. these taxi apps are fare better then the taxi meter or tuk tuks that are plainy a mafia and a bunch of cheats in Thailand who nevertheless seem to have far to much support in many media.

I've never used bolt.  But the couple of apps I have used.  It shows the fare before you accept it.  There would be no benefit for the driver to take a longer route.  Of course these don't use meters, just a set fee.

20 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

is the fare the app gives u an estimation, or the exact price? 

i have never used bolt, only grab

I have used BOLT a few times, the price on the app is the price you pay

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

having to drive long i the direction towards Lumpini in very heavy basically standing still traffic and then u turn and go back.

If you get in a taxi with this kind of traffic what else do you expect?

• Agree 2

Anyone else that has experienced this?

I avoid the 'regular taxi' option in these Apps as it then nudges us towards the privateers rather than regular taxi's, this helps avoid much of the BS and stunts a regular taxi driver attempts to pull - it's just in their blood !!!... 

BUT... sometimes I found 'Thainess' to have slipped in... I book ride which is accepted, then don't see the vehicle moving for 5 mins or more... and I have to cancel.

I assume either driver took the ride while stopping off to eat and figured I'd wait for him. 

OR, the driver didn't want the journey but has to accept as he is one of those nearby and as per their terms they have to accept so many rides that come up on their driver app - when they don't want the ride they just wait us out without moving forcing us to cancel. 

In this case (with the Op) I suspect the Driver didn't know the area, ended up the wrong way, tried to recover... took longer then thought as the journey was longer he wanted more money.

I've just started using the premium options more to avoid the BS.

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
35 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Not to be taking extra KM's out of the way and to be charged more than the App states... 

I think you missed that point. 

I did see the OP's point that the driver took an alternative route and even stopped off for his lunch on the way. Only the OP knows why and has the opportunity to review the ride after the fact in the Bolt online app. My point was anyone who gets a taxi in stand still traffic jams and rush hours is asking for higher billing.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

He used Bolt or Grab 

The driver can't ask for more money 

I had this in Pattaya recently 

I ordered a BOLT it said it was a Mazda plate 3333 for example 

Up pulls a Pattaya taxi , I said your not my Bolt he then says the registration number if the original car.

I jump on ,he says it's only 60 baht fare on BOLT ,I used to make 300 baht for same trip years ago he said 

Ok said I'm sorry and immediately tipped him hugging him and kissing him 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterday I took a taxi from home to Sukhumvit, I choose Taxi 130-171 Baht and it say meeter plus 20 Baht. The normal driver and economy were all busy.

My GPS said it would be a 45 min trip with tolls and 1h 5 min with out tolls.

I choose to use tolls. I thought 20 minutes faster could be worth 50 baht and I would be there in good time.

The app stated 171 baht when I started the trip. I was checking the GPS on the way and twice the taxi driver choose a path on the highway that added 15 minutes each to the estimated time. Then when we drove off the highway we ended up having to drive long i the direction towards Lumpini in very heavy basically standing still traffic and then u turn and go back. Totally the 45 minutes trip took 1 hour and 40 minutes. 

Taxi driver even stopped by the road and bought some food from a street vendor. When I at last arrived very late he demanded 266 baht, instead of the 171 initially said by the application.

I have a feeling he intentionally took there longer slower routes to fuel the price. By the way so didn't he use the meeter in the Taxi, he just took the price from the app

Never before have I payed more than about 160 baht for this trip. I hope this was a one time experience.

That was a tip you paid then.

I take it you don't have the CARD payment system set up 

You still pay CASH!!

Change it to the CARD 

20 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

Yesterday I took a taxi from home to Sukhumvit, I choose Taxi 130-171 Baht and it say meeter plus 20 Baht. The normal driver and economy were all busy.

I choose to use tolls. I thought 20 minutes faster could be worth 50 baht and I would be there in good time.

The app stated 171 baht when I started the trip. I was checking the GPS on the way and twice the taxi driver choose a path on the highway that added 15 minutes each to the estimated time. Then when we drove off the highway we ended up having to drive long i the direction towards Lumpini in very heavy basically standing still traffic and then u turn and go back. Totally the 45 minutes trip took 1 hour and 40 minutes. 

Taxi driver even stopped by the road and bought some food from a street vendor. When I at last arrived very late he demanded 266 baht, instead of the 171 initially said by the application.

I have a feeling he intentionally took there longer slower routes to fuel the price. By the way so didn't he use the meeter in the Taxi, he just took the price from the app

Never before have I payed more than about 160 baht for this trip. I hope this was a one time experience.

No, never.  Rather than stewing about it here where no one can help you, the solution is to call Grab's help centre and give them your complaint if you feel that it is justified.  

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, never.  Rather than stewing about it here where no one can help you, the solution is to call Grab's help centre and give them your complaint if you feel that it is justified.  

Yes , but I believe he has a CASH payment system in place not that it matters 

But...in Australia I was once charged MORE by Uber in busy traffic 

They sent me a message saying the driver request more because of the traffic 

"Are drivers scamming you?"

No. 

Book Premium (or anything other than a metered taxi), the agreed fare goes straight from the bank after arrival, never any need to have any conversation, whatsoever, with the driver...get in the car and get out at your destination.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

He used Bolt or Grab 

The driver can't ask for more money 

I had this in Pattaya recently 

I ordered a BOLT it said it was a Mazda plate 3333 for example 

Up pulls a Pattaya taxi , I said your not my Bolt he then says the registration number if the original car.

I jump on ,he says it's only 60 baht fare on BOLT ,I used to make 300 baht for same trip years ago he said 

Ok said I'm sorry and immediately tipped him hugging him and kissing him 

Did he charge extra for the Zimmer frame?   555

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

You were "scammed" for about US$3. Is it really such an important event in your life that you need to write a long story on the net about it? Especially since you say this never happened before so it was a one-time event. 100 baht is about the same amount it costs for the "flag-fall" just to start the taxi meter on a new ride in Australia, and then another 36 baht for each kilometre travelled. Bangkok taxis are extremely cheap even if they over-charge.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

That was a tip you paid then.

I take it you don't have the CARD payment system set up 

You still pay CASH!!

Change it to the CARD 

I agree. I don't use Grab or Bolt but my Thai wife does for some reason, since they are usually more expensive than a regular taxi for the trips we make. However, she uses a direct bank transfer to pay for the ride and no cash ever changes hands between us and the driver.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're 'taxi' drivers, not personal butlers, why should they hump around all your shopping?

How strange because every time we use a tuk-tuk to bring our shopping back from BigC the driver always offers to help unload. It helps him as well because he gets back on the road faster and we always give the driver a 20-30 baht tip.

1 hour ago, Dexxter said:

I agree. I don't use Grab or Bolt but my Thai wife does for some reason, since they are usually more expensive than a regular taxi for the trips we make. However, she uses a direct bank transfer to pay for the ride and no cash ever changes hands between us and the driver.

Down in Phuket both Grab and Bolt are cheaper than a regular taxi, Bolt being about the cheapest in my area, a couple of days ago my friends got a Grab from a hotel to my house 400 baht, they didn't know about BOLT I showed them same journey back 140 baht,