Thailand pumps the brakes on private sector traffic perks

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Transport firmly dismissed allegations from the opposition that its proposed traffic congestion fees will disproportionately benefit the private sector, asserting that the policy is designed with accountability in mind.

Accountability... in Thailand....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, sungod said:

When I drive to Bangkok, where do they suggest I park my car and hop onto the train?

If you come in on the Trad road, there’s a big new park-and-ride at Srinakarin 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NemoH said:

Obsessive greed. Money grabbing again. Thaksin government is all about taking money from the ordinary man. 

Just look at London n Singapore. It is just making payment for a problem that comes with car usage n ownership. Another scam like paying money to ensure that there are no pollution. 

For this reason I respect the Hong Kong government who had for decades resisted n refused to implement what the Singapore n Uk government did. 

I disagree.

I'm happy to visit an extremely clean Singapore.

For me they do the right thing for environment including clean air.

There is no doubt about it to get it all for free. It will cost money and a clear decision.

The massive lack of public transport is the main problem in any city which has gridlock caused by cars. If people have to walk 200m to get to a bus stop, and then wait 30minutes before a bus arrives, the car becomes the go to. It is a proven fact, more roads generate more traffic, which is a major problem in Bangkok. Invest more in public transport with better and double deck busses, instead of the silly little things that can only carry 20 people at a time. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, sungod said:

When I drive to Bangkok, where do they suggest I park my car and hop onto the train?

There are quite a few spots but it depends from which direction you are coming.

When we need to get into the centre of town Asoke-Chitlom-Siam areas on a busy day (any evening / Sat) we park at Tesco's On-Nut.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Surasak said:

The massive lack of public transport is the main problem in any city which has gridlock caused by cars. If people have to walk 200m to get to a bus stop, and then wait 30minutes before a bus arrives, the car becomes the go to. It is a proven fact, more roads generate more traffic, which is a major problem in Bangkok. Invest more in public transport with better and double deck busses, instead of the silly little things that can only carry 20 people at a time. 

There is the heat and humidity as well....    People will take the car rather than walk in the heat unless taking the car becomes prohibitively expensive (as Singapore).

At the moment - We'd have to take a taxi to the Sky Train, use the Sky-Train, then tax a Taxi again at the 'other end'... or sit in traffic for about the same amount of time - there's no point not to take the car.

Its only when when know congestion is going to be horrific and our destination is near a Sky Train Station that we'll drive to Tesco's and Park up.

• Confused 1

Thailand pumps the brakes on private sector traffic perks.

One's gonna hate the greedy Mother festers.

Now paying Rego /Road tax  , over the top Tax on Fuel.

Now they want Extra Tax for using the roads with Electric train lines.

What's next. car owners to pay for the dirty Electricity for the dirty trains .

People pay tax on their Earnings

Whatever one Buys one pays tax, after a Few Transactions there's nothing left for the people everything is gone to the Greedy money grabbing Government in Tax .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are quite a few spots but it depends from which direction you are coming.

When we need to get into the centre of town Asoke-Chitlom-Siam areas on a busy day (any evening / Sat) we park at Tesco's On-Nut.

I'd be coming in from Pattaya, to be honest if I got as far as On Nut I'd just keep driving. My point being if they want this to succeed, then make some car parks on the outskirts.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit put forward a proposal to introduce a traffic congestion fee for motorists on busy roads in Bangkok. The charges are expected to range from 40 to 50 baht per vehicle for access to congested roads serviced by electric train lines.

I'm wondering how they could possibly put this into practice without causing further congestion given the current tech.

Perhaps something similar to the ULEZ cameras in the UK that simply identify the numberplate and 'auto-charge' the car owners account. 

But... at the moment, we have significant queues on the Expressway at peak hour because cars are forced to stop at the Toll Booth because they systems are decades old, instead of being able to drive Past lane cameras at normal speeds... (and then get a Digital charge).

Perhaps a 'general congestion charge' could work for Bangkok...     But it would have to be expensive enough to be prohibitive to want to drive in central Bangkok. 

Then there is the issue of so many people living in central Bangkok, so many more Condo's going up etc... 

BUT...  even with massive improvements in public transport, the only way I see that congestion can be controlled is with expense.

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

I'd be coming in from Pattaya, to be honest if I got as far as On Nut I'd just keep driving. My point being if they want this to succeed, then make some car parks on the outskirts.

Completely agree with that...   

I think some People Park at Bitek and take the BTS from Bang Na.

That said, your point is a solid one - there should be plenty of very convenient free options to park at somewhere such as Mega Bang Na... and get a fast (20min) BTS into central Bangkok.

Bangkoks traffic can be horrendous, but years ago they invested in the Expressways which are excellent - I would never have lived in Bangkok if it didn't have expressways to get around quickly (relatively).

The BTS / MRT is good and getting better...  but I still only use it a few times per year because the car is still more convenient for me.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Completely agree with that...   

I think some People Park at Bitek and take the BTS from Bang Na.

That said, your point is a solid one - there should be plenty of very convenient free options to park at somewhere such as Mega Bang Na... and get a fast (20min) BTS into central Bangkok.

Bangkoks traffic can be horrendous, but years ago they invested in the Expressways which are excellent - I would never have lived in Bangkok if it didn't have expressways to get around quickly (relatively).

The BTS / MRT is good and getting better...  but I still only use it a few times per year because the car is still more convenient for me.

I'd really like the opportunity to park up somewhere and take the train in, I can be up there 2 or 3 times a week. Someone mentioned about Sri Nakarin, I may give that a go, just hope its easy to get to and from the expressway or that would be little point too.

11 minutes ago, sungod said:

I'd really like the opportunity to park up somewhere and take the train in, I can be up there 2 or 3 times a week. Someone mentioned about Sri Nakarin, I may give that a go, just hope its easy to get to and from the expressway or that would be little point too.

Yeah... removes a lot of hassle... 

Though depending on your destination - getting into town can be somewhat inconvenient given the 'linkup' for 'park and ride' options. 

Options

1) Park at Airport and use Airport Express Train

2) Park at Samrong - use Sukumvit line  (Google Maps link) - There is a 70 baht per day car part near Samrong BTS.

The Yellow Line (from Srinakarin) would involve multiple train changes to get into the centre of town (i.e. Phrom Pong to Siam).

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah... removes a lot of hassle... 

Though depending on your destination - getting into town can be somewhat inconvenient given the 'linkup' for 'park and ride' options. 

Options

1) Park at Airport and use Airport Express Train

2) Park at Samrong - use Sukumvit line  (Google Maps link) - There is a 70 baht per day car part near Samrong BTS.

The Yellow Line (from Srinakarin) would involve multiple train changes to get into the centre of town (i.e. Phrom Pong to Siam).

I've tried the airport way, takes ages to find a parking spot in short term parking, then 250 baht for the privilege.

I just looked at the Samrong option, driving time plus train journey actually adds time to my journey even in traffic. 20 baht is neither here or there but a 50 baht congestion charge over a 70 baht parking fee......

Looks like i will be sticking to the car for the near future.

Appreciate the tips though, never really looked at it this closely.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

What they fail to consider is that most people with cars. Do not want to wait in long lines or be packed like sardines into a skytrain. Be pushed around will waiting or riding. The prefer to sit peacefully in their cars in traffic. It does not matter if they offered the trains for free. People will still want the convenience and comfort of driving their own cars to work and back. Making them pay 20-50 baht more just because of the route they take will just piss them off. 

So their idea to make all that money is hogwash. 

It's not hogwash at all. These are the types of fools that should pay.

Living in Bangkok I welcome few vehicles and less pollution.

• Confused 3

Living in BKK 15 years. No stupid car, wife as well. We are healthier and wealthier for it.

All you country mice want to drive into town you can pay for it.

Personally, I love not having an awkward, depreciating asset and albatross around my neck, but hey .. keep on driving

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

Will EV cars pay for this congestion charge!

😂😂

Why should they not pay? An EV on the road still contributes to the congestion, though the pollution it causes is generally made elsewhere at the generation site.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Accountability... in Thailand....

This is a euphemism for a detail requiring advance identification of a person or persons low in the 'food chain' who will be labelled responsible if the overall plan is exposed as corrupt or fails - at great public expense - to achieve its aim.

• Thumbs Up 1