Buying A New Car In Thailand

Totster

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread as a reference for people considering buying a car in Thailand

For example - what deals can one expect from a dealer ? Discounts ? Extras ?

Please share you experiences and advice here, if there is a good response I'll pin it.

Totster :o

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread as a reference for people considering buying a car in Thailand

Please share you experiences and advice here, if there is a good response I'll pin it.

I hope some folks respond to this thread.....I have the same questions, i.e. the "sticker price" in the US is just a starting point. Is the same thing true here???

I hope some folks respond to this thread.....I have the same questions, i.e. the "sticker price" in the US is just a starting point. Is the same thing true here???

hi to all,

i bought a new nissan navara 2.5lt diesel 4 door , in udon thani 3 months ago .

list price 649,000 bt i payed full price cash , but they gave me .... back liner , crome back bumper , mirror covers, uprated c.d player , and 1 year class 1 insurance... i dont know if it was a good deal or not but upto now i,m very happy with it .....i,ve since added bull bar at front , roll over bar on top and tinnted the windows .. looks spot on now .... i hope that helps with your thread...martyn... :D

I bought a Honda Jazz, after about 3 hrs at the dealership, I paid full price but received about 200,000 baht worth of extra's, when I picked up the car these were included....

5yr FREE Service [NO do not even pay for oil or parts] 2x yrs full Valet for 3yrs, window tints all round, extra mats, loads of extra crome bits, seat belt and head reats cusions from Honda, 5year recovery service etc...

So far done 21,000km and rate that Honda Dealership as A1+++ so far had 2x totally free Service, gearbox software upgrade FREE [cost of 78,589baht] 3x valet, only paid for new battery @ 898baht from Dealership fitted.

Can you or someone please explain what "free valet service" is

and also "recovery service"

Thanks.

Mmmmmmmmm Well ok..........free valet service is a valet service that is free. :o Clean the car outside and inside , make it look nice and shiny. :D Maybe clean the engine so you are fooled into thinking its been well cared for.

Recovery service is where your car breaks down or is not driveable following an accident with Somchai the Yaba dealing Motorcy taxi man. They then come out and recover your car and probably your body too if by any unfortunate circumstance you happen to kill someone in an accident. :D

I bought a Honda Jazz, after about 3 hrs at the dealership, I paid full price but received about 200,000 baht worth of extra's,

Are you sure 200,000, a third of a car value, is the correct number?

You can buy lots of bits and pieces and oil and anything else you fancy for 200k.

I bought a Honda Jazz, after about 3 hrs at the dealership, I paid full price but received about 200,000 baht worth of extra's, when I picked up the car these were included....

5yr FREE Service [NO do not even pay for oil or parts] 2x yrs full Valet for 3yrs, window tints all round, extra mats, loads of extra crome bits, seat belt and head reats cusions from Honda, 5year recovery service etc...

So far done 21,000km and rate that Honda Dealership as A1+++ so far had 2x totally free Service, gearbox software upgrade FREE [cost of 78,589baht] 3x valet, only paid for new battery @ 898baht from Dealership fitted.

what price did you pay?

what price did you pay?

At the time it was the top model 631,000

I bought a Honda Jazz, after about 3 hrs at the dealership, I paid full price but received about 200,000 baht worth of extra's,

Are you sure 200,000, a third of a car value, is the correct number?

You can buy lots of bits and pieces and oil and anything else you fancy for 200k.

No idea, but I do know that all the crome extra's would have cost just over 34,000, Tax was 1,741, No idea what the Tint Film on all the windows would cost? or the Honda carpets? or the Honda pillow head rests? or Honda seat belt covers? or the Honda boot tray, what would be the cost of 3 years Breakdown Service? what is the cost of 5yrs/100,000km service? that is 10x service + all parts, how much is 6x full car Valets?

I do understand now that the 5yrs/100,000km service/10x service + all parts is now standered from Honda ?? but it was not when I bought the car.... saying that a Thai friend bought a New CRV 2 months ago and she did not get the free service package

Sounds like a good deal... just a shame you came away with a crap car.

Only joking :o

6-weeks ago I bought a Toyota Hilux Vigo 3.0E 4-door Pre-runner (which jus means it's higher up) and it's the 2wd version not 4wd.

Cost was 716,000B and came with 1 year insurance (that's std on all new cars), 17" alloys and ABS (that's usually on the G model).

From 2wd to 4wd would cost an extra 80,000 aparently and an auto-box (I hate them) would've been an extra 40k.

I didn't get much free apart from 1,000 baht worth of diesel - woooppeeee!! - Actually,I had to haggle for more than the usual 200 baht worth - was worried I woudn't make it to the gas station but more importantly I got steel side bars which came in useful when a motorbike went through a red light and smashed into my rear door 10 days after I bought it. Insurance covered it all. 1 new side bar and a new door. Done 9000km in it now and it's sweey as long as it doesn't rain. Then you have to be careful with the throttle.

I bought a new Civic 2Li in Bangkok. I paid 1,040000 Baht.

extras:

1 years insurance

3 years warrantee

tinted windows

Honda mats

3 full services 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 kl

I would of shopped around more if I had known I could get more.

anyway, the car is great, I love it and Honda showrooms at Ekemai in BKK are very good. I do recomend them, but push them coz you will probably get more than I did.

Crap Car ????

Nothing comes anywhere near it for size and value........

I needed something which was small yet large inside + estate/hatch back...

I am a Citroen man, but they do not have in Thailand, 2nd choose is Suzuki but again not in Thailand..

I tried many cars, but I simply did not fit, the Toyota Yaris and Avanza impossible to drive… I am 1.89 tall, 136kg with size 48 feet..

The Jazz has more room inside for the driver, than the other vehicle I often drive 2007 Isuzu..

From Honda I like the HRV, but only ever seen one in Thailand….. In UK the model I have cost some 12,000 pounds, here with more standard + a 1.5 engine cost just over 8,000 pounds

So no for me it is not a crap car, as I fit it well and am happy with it still, have so far done 22,000km in it.. anything different that I feel comfortable in cost over twice the price

Crap Car ????

I am a Citroen man, but they do not have in Thailand, 2nd choose is Suzuki but again not in Thailand..

I tried many cars, but I simply did not fit, the Toyota Yaris and Avanza impossible to drive… I am 1.89 tall, 136kg with size 48 feet..

The Jazz has more room inside for the driver, than the other vehicle I often drive 2007 Isuzu..

From Honda I like the HRV, but only ever seen one in Thailand….. In UK the model I have cost some 12,000 pounds, here with more standard + a 1.5 engine cost just over 8,000 pounds

So no for me it is not a crap car, as I fit it well and am happy with it still, have so far done 22,000km in it.. anything different that I feel comfortable in cost over twice the price

I would've bought Jazz if I lived in Bangkok.

Last week i bought a 3.0 Hilux vigo prerunner.

They gave me 20.000 baht discount plus accesories worth more then 22.000

Maybe there is a new model coming, or it was because last year i also bought my Fortuner there.

Yes - There's a new model coming in December. That's why there are great deals on the current model - They're trying to get rid of them all now because noone will buy them if there's a new model obviously. I don't care - I got a great car for a great price. I got about 24k off the price as well.

this ia a good topic thanks

but what about some info for us poor guys who have to buy a car on credit

i'm looking at buying a 4 door nissan pick-up with abs so far the best deal is 106,000 down then 10,390 a month or the 2 door for 90,000 down and 8,500 a month

i'm looking at buying a 4 door nissan pick-up with abs so far the best deal is 106,000 down then 10,390 a month or the 2 door for 90,000 down and 8,500 a month

If you're buying a new car on credit then the interest isn't too bad. 2nd hand then it's through the roof.

I'm no expert but if you buying 2nd hand then get the payments over as fast as possible. With new you can go over 5-6 years.

Juat to let you know - I investigated the price of a new Fortuner a while ago. 300,000 down and 15,000B a month for 5 years. Decided it wasn't worth it but if you went for a Hilux 2.5E pick-up (2 door but 4 seats) then it's about 50,000 down and 10k a month for 4 years.

Try and put as big a down-payment as possible.

Oh, another thing - The new Hilux is coming in December - Might be worth seeing if Toyota come out with any new cool offers closer to the time - They might start giving them away - lol

Crap Car ????

Easy tiger, you obviously missed the rest of my post.

I was thinking of getting one a while back until I drove the thing. Didn't like the handling, gearbox, braking, lack of visibility due to front pillar etc. Look alright and big enough inside but not for me after the test drive. Whatever floats yer boat though :o

I just purchased a Nissan Navera 4 door Le model 4x2

put 350,000 down and got credit through Siam bank lease'n.

Not to much hassle

They also added lots of extras,

bed liner, paint sealent, window vicers, step bar, 1st insur 1yr,window film, window shade

Going slightly off the forum topic (sorry)

Someone told me last night that the best way to keep my brake discs looking new and shiny is to spra y WD-40 on them.

(I don't know if WD-40 exists in every country but it's basically oil in a can that you spray on - good for padlocks)

Anyway, I don't know if he was trying to kill me or is just plain stupid but suffice to say - I aint gonna try it - lol

Totster,

If its not Toyota don't buy it.

Cheers

PS I know Yontrakit are the importers and distributors for Citroen, Suzuki Automobile Thailand can be reached by calling 02-245-1171

Did you know that all Hilux Vigos around the world are all assembled in Thailand? My mate said that his mate (in Scotland) just bought one for £24,999 - which is about 1.7million baht - lol. Ok, so it's probably not the same spec as in it's got airbags (mine doesn't) and extra safety features but still a massive difference. So yes, buying a Toyota in Thailand makes sense.

Crap Car ????

Easy tiger, you obviously missed the rest of my post.

I was thinking of getting one a while back until I drove the thing. Didn't like the handling, gearbox, braking, lack of visibility due to front pillar etc. Look alright and big enough inside but not for me after the test drive. Whatever floats yer boat though :o

On the subject of visibility - I can't see anything behind me in my car - I bought reverse sensors (2,500 baht) and they stick them in the read bumper. When I put the car in reverse they turn on and tell me if there is an object behind me - which side it is on and how many metres away and they bleep if I get too close - Cool!

Yep, the new 'E' model definitely comes with ABS and foglamps (good for off-roading) used to be just the 'G' that had those - but I dunno about remote.

I didn't get a remote but added one myself - about 11,000 baht. Full alarm etc.

If I go into Big C and someone bangs into my car then the alarm goes off and so does the remote so I know the alarm has been activated. If someone gets in my car then it tells me that as well and I hit 2 buttons on the remote and the engine cuts out, the doors lock and whoever is in the car has to smash his way out - but hopefully the cops will be there first - lol

On the subject of ABS. I was driving along one day in the rain and I was on autopilot - not really concentrating on where I was going and thought - ######, I'm about to miss my turn off. It was late at night with no traffic so I checked the mirrors and jammed on the brakes to try and make the left turn. Front wheels locked up. Hmmmm. It says it's ABS and I can see the ABS box in the bonnet (and when I start up it says my ABS is working properly) but it doesn't seem to be working. I had ABS in most of my cars when I was in Scotland so I know what they feel / sound like. Either the new ABS systems are really quiet (you can't hear the brake calipers locking and unlocking) or they allow a bit of skid (don't allow the wheels to completely lock but still slow your car down faster than no ABS) or I just have an ABS box in the bonnet of my car and it isn't connected to my brakes - lol

Weird.

Are you sure about the new model? The salesman said the prerunner now comes with Abs, foglamps and remote.

But for me it doesnt really matter because i wont be driving it myself a lot.

It's for my employees.

Someone told me last night that the best way to keep my brake discs looking new and shiny is to spra y WD-40 on them.

(I don't know if WD-40 exists in every country but it's basically oil in a can that you spray on - good for padlocks)

Anyway, I don't know if he was trying to kill me or is just plain stupid but suffice to say - I aint gonna try it - lol

WD-40 is a degreasant, not oil, and displaces water, hence WD - Water Displacement... or something along those lines. :o

WD-40 is a degreasant, not oil, and displaces water, hence WD - Water Displacement... or something along those lines. :o

I think the local brand name is Sonax.

Cheers

I think the local brand name is Sonax.

Cheers

It's an oil-based product and not advisable for brake discs