Cheap 2nd Hand Rear Wheel Drive

cm das

Thanks for the quick replies. Yeah, I figured an old 3 series BMW was an option. Just wondered what else others might have in mind. I need the car for work & for top-secret technical reasons it has to be RWD. Also it has to be a car, a pickup won't do.

On your budget of 200 - 400 K may I suggest a Volta. It's Volvo of 7- or 9-series with a Toyota JZ-series engine. You'll have the best of the both worlds: the indestructible Volvo chassis combined with an ultra reliable Toyota 200 - 300 hp motor. The beast turns on a dime, outperforms everything else on the road and is very easily maintained.

This is a very popular conversion in Thailand. I've had one of these for three years now and am very, very happy with it.

Volta sounds interesting. Hadn't seriously considered a Benz - I figured they'd be out of my price range. On the other hand, I think it's true that a 190 likely would have been driven more lightly than a 3 series. I'll have to see what's available in Chiang Mai, but this gives me some good ideas. Thanks all.

Pity it must be RWD or I would say VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT

a 1999 model is around 300,000. the older model of 1997 is around 150,000 in top condition

The older BMW do have electric issues....

I looked for a 3 of that kind of price band but every single one had been thrashed or badly boy'ed up.. Couldnt find a simple clean one..

Was thinking of suggesting a old style RX7.. Just went to one2car to check if there were any at that price and somone wants nearly 2 mil for a 94 model..

http://one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails.asp...64010&row=2

Tears of laughter.. 50k USD for something you could get for a grand back home !!

I have once seen a clean MX5 at your price.. But sadly they usually command more (600+).. Great little runabouts, would be fun for the roads around me..

Not much out there in cheap manual roostabouts..

I looked for a 3 of that kind of price band but every single one had been thrashed or badly boy'ed up.. Couldnt find a simple clean one..

Could have bought mine, bog standard '94 E36 325i auto, went for 300k :D

Actually, I wouldn't have sold it to you, the box was shagged after Somchai BMW 'serviced' it, otherwise I'd still have it :o

BMW E30 - 50-70k baht

Nissan 200sx 160K (the old one with a pointy nose)

Nissan Cefiro 125k

BMW's like to leak when it rains.

if your gonna build from the ground up, id get the E30...they have a 50/50 weight ditribution like all model bmw's, but if changing the engine that would be a different story...but the SR20 engine is a perfect weight match....SR20DET or VET would be sweet.

i still like this model, they look really good when fixed up, especially the 2 door versions.

check out one2car.com

Yes you are ccorrect to make a choice of a rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive cars have always troubles with suspension, engine mounts, drive shafts, etc. Allways have to invest at least 20'000 Baht in all this things if you buy a used "FWD" The other thing: "FWD" cars are not smooth as "RWD". "RWD's" are much easier to maintenance. Buy a "Valta", its a good choice, or mayb e consider a older Toyota Crown. The Crown is a very good car. I bought once one with over 400'000 km on the clock and the condition was excellent. Mosthly Crowns use the same engine like in the Volta, the 1 JZ or the 2 JZ. Crowns you can get arround 150'000 Baht for a good one if the year is arround 1990 until 1992. For a 1993 up Model you have to consider arround 280'000 Baht. Crowns have all the options and luxury, almost like a small Cadillac. Easy and cheap in maintenance, very luxury satin interior, electric seats, Cool box in the rear, 2 AC Systems, front and back, etc. just make it sure it not was a Taxi before. If you buy Crown, get the Top Model as "Royal Saloon" Don't buy the Deluxe one. The Price it's anyway almost the same, so get the Top one. If you buy a Volta, go for the 940 one, not the 740, this is the older one. Benz i woud not consider, to expensive to maintenance.

if you want an E30 DONT get one for 50,000 to 70,000. It will be absolutly trashed. To get a really really clean 1991 model your looking at 150,000 to 200,000.

I was thinking the same when I read it.. Certainly the ones I have seen at under 80 were all pretty much dogs.. Tho I have seen some cleaner ones at the 120 - 140 range..

Tho also Phuket seems to attract inflated prices on cars so what I see would be different to a BKK or other province.

I appreciate all the input. And let me make it clear - a small, RWD car is not necessarily my personal preference. OK, I'd love a new 335i, but actually I drive a DMax! Anyway, a company I work for needs a smallish car for a project. We're going to do some modifcations to the car & for that purpose we need RWD. That accounts for my particular needs. I'll have some time in Chiang Mai the next 3 weeks to look around. Wish me luck.