Phuket As A Potential Place To Live

girlx

well i go away for a few days and look what happens.

ok, as a WOMAN living on phuket, i can tell you that it does have modern conveniences, and i ditto most of what others have already said.

with regards to the fact that phuket ONLY caters to the sexpat/sex tourist crowd, well this is wrong. i WORK in patong, and personally think its a shit hole. i LIVE in kathu, however, and the area i live is lovely. i have a 2 bedroom house with a garden, the best landlord in the world, a maintenance man who i can call at any time of the day, high speed internet (OK, its not worked for a few days), i live close to central for shopping, movies, restaurants, of course there are two 7-11's close to me, and the area is dog friendly.

so there you go. phuket is an ok place to live, but it is comparitively expensive compared to other areas in thailand.

Beats the heck out of Bali :o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the most thai place on the islands that Farnags choose to live and feel good in. No where else on the island (Patong/Karon/kata/Kathu) is the local poplutlation Born in the area

Cobblers!

Rawai has many people born there. same goes for Nai Harn, Chalong, Cherng Talay and all points inbetween.

Yeah, Kamala used to be a great place to live. Now, it's a nonstop mess of traffic, dump trucks, labor camps, construction noise and accompanying dirt. If you live anywhere near the main road the gaggle of beer bars with BGs belting out karaoke till late is annoying. And, prices are ridiculous for anyone wanting to rent a place, I'd say there among the highest on the island now due to the demand. Very small bungalows on dirt lanes, just off the noisy main road are going for 20,000 Baht/mo.

Even on the much touted Millionaire Mile above the sea, the road is pitted from the nonstop huge trucks, there is nonstop construction and noise. Of course, the growth is tremendous, and expensive places are selling. But in terms of actually living in Kamala now, it's not very enjoyable. Maybe in five years it will be better, but IMO, it has become a bad place to live.

Even in the back village, it's so condensed that it's hard to get privacy and takes awhile to get out of the back village. Nai Harn has always been IMO the quiestest place to live, but too far from everything.

There are some hilltop seaview very choice, very quiet places, but they do cost money to buy or rent.

From another woman living in Phuket. I live in the Naiharn area and while another poster said it was far from anywhere, I don't think it is. I am five mins from both Naiharn and Rawai beaches, 20 minutes to Central and Phuket town and about 50 minutes from the airport. It helps if you have your own transportation.

Can't really comment on rents as we have owned our home for the past 5 years but I do have friends who live in this area in an affordable one bedroom place and they have a dog.

There are loads of great restaurants and bars and if you really feel the need to do the Patong thing, that too, is 20 minutes away. Again, easier if you have your own transportation.

Rawai beach is not dead after 8 pm. I guess I am a really "dug in expat" was that the term(?) as I do enjoy the occasional evening at Nikita's. Friendly place with consistently cold beers. I also enjoy going out to the Blue Frog in Rawai, Yoonique Stone on the lake in Naiharn, Kok Chang Elephant Safari (on the way to Kata) and other places in the area.

There are many cool places to live in Phuket. Come over and check it out. You will only get widely varying opinions on here, you have to make up your own mind. Good luck with your decision.

Yes Super Hans, you might be correct from your point of view, and that's the seedier side of Patong & some surrounds. AND you are not helping my arguement.... :o

But I continue (in vain methinks) to promote the NORMAL side of life for long stay residents here on the Island.

I wasn't trying to help your argument, although don't you feel a tad aggrieved that someone takes a personal dislike to you and disses your argument because of something you've written in your profile? It's totally benign anyhow.

Besides, I'm more concerned with why my post was deleted, when Tamsin's wasn't. Her post was equally as sexist as mine, a dam_n sight more so in my view. Still, in this mad, mad world it's fine for women to have a pop at men all they like and heaven help those that defend themselves. Oh well...

i have not been online for a few days so dont know whats happened here. i have only logged in as of today.

please remember the rules about discussion of moderation. (and yes, i know that comment was not directed at me).

It is the most thai place on the islands that Farnags choose to live and feel good in. No where else on the island (Patong/Karon/kata/Kathu) is the local poplutlation Born in the area

Cobblers!

Rawai has many people born there. same goes for Nai Harn, Chalong, Cherng Talay and all points inbetween.

Yeah, Kamala used to be a great place to live. Now, it's a nonstop mess of traffic, dump trucks, labor camps, construction noise and accompanying dirt. If you live anywhere near the main road the gaggle of beer bars with BGs belting out karaoke till late is annoying. And, prices are ridiculous for anyone wanting to rent a place, I'd say there among the highest on the island now due to the demand. Very small bungalows on dirt lanes, just off the noisy main road are going for 20,000 Baht/mo.

Even on the much touted Millionaire Mile above the sea, the road is pitted from the nonstop huge trucks, there is nonstop construction and noise. Of course, the growth is tremendous, and expensive places are selling. But in terms of actually living in Kamala now, it's not very enjoyable. Maybe in five years it will be better, but IMO, it has become a bad place to live.

Even in the back village, it's so condensed that it's hard to get privacy and takes awhile to get out of the back village. Nai Harn has always been IMO the quiestest place to live, but too far from everything.

There are some hilltop seaview very choice, very quiet places, but they do cost money to buy or rent.

Kamala for me is by far the best part of Phuket. Of course no matter where you are on Phuket you will always be a fair way from some other part, its a big island.

Yes Kamala is a pain when you want to go to the usual places around Phuket Town such as Central Festival/Tesco Lotus, on the other hand Kamala is within easy reach of Patong. Rawai or Chalong for example is a good 40-45 mins to Patong through roads of hel_l (depending on car or motorbike), where Kamala you have a straight run of about 15 mins on a less congested beach road.

As for proximity to the other West Coast beaches you have Surin and Bangtao just north. The airport is also only 30 mins away depending on the time of day. Its quite simple, if you like being close to Phuket Town stay in Chalong, if you like being close to Patong (but not in Patong) then Kamala is the place.

As for noise I must be one of the lucky ones as I dont here a thing. Indeed the main road is a dust filled 4 lane highway for speeding trucks but I dont know anyone who lives directly on the road. 9 months of the year you dont here anything from the bars.

The housing is more expensive in Kamala than the likes of Chalong or Phuket Town but still cheaper than Patong. Which is why all the Patong expats move there.

I presonally think there is not enough development in Kamala, ive been searching for ages to buy property there but cant find anywhere, all the new developments seem to be in Chalong ! :o

Also should say, dog poisonings are not uncommon especially in the muslim areas.. I know of and hear of more guys who have either lost pets or left the area after poison attacks.

Your post and the one above will come as a shock to some, so thanks for posting. You just saved some family trying to explain to their kids a sad event. Happened awhile ago ago to a fellow from work guy that had one screwed up daughter for a few months when her dog was poisoned. She was afraid to go out for months afterwards because she thought they'd poison her too. No 6 yr old needs that. (sorry for getting away from original query, but this merited an additional read further in the thread.)

Doesnt seem restricted to the muslim areas either (tho people seem to say it happens more there) some cowardly shitbag poisoned my mates pet, same scene with very unhappy kids, painful lingering death, etc.

Would wreck my chance of living in peace with my neighbours as I would be thinking 'was that you, you piece of shit' etc to all and sundry. Just such a low act.

Cobblers!

Kamala for me is by far the best part of Phuket. Of course no matter where you are on Phuket you will always be a fair way from some other part, its a big island.

Yes Kamala is a pain when you want to go to the usual places around Phuket Town such as Central Festival/Tesco Lotus, on the other hand Kamala is within easy reach of Patong. Rawai or Chalong for example is a good 40-45 mins to Patong through roads of hel_l (depending on car or motorbike), where Kamala you have a straight run of about 15 mins on a less congested beach road.

As for proximity to the other West Coast beaches you have Surin and Bangtao just north. The airport is also only 30 mins away depending on the time of day. Its quite simple, if you like being close to Phuket Town stay in Chalong, if you like being close to Patong (but not in Patong) then Kamala is the place.

As for noise I must be one of the lucky ones as I dont here a thing. Indeed the main road is a dust filled 4 lane highway for speeding trucks but I dont know anyone who lives directly on the road. 9 months of the year you dont here anything from the bars.

The housing is more expensive in Kamala than the likes of Chalong or Phuket Town but still cheaper than Patong. Which is why all the Patong expats move there.

I presonally think there is not enough development in Kamala, ive been searching for ages to buy property there but cant find anywhere, all the new developments seem to be in Chalong ! :o

Yes, you're lucky if you're in a quiet place in Kamala, but those are becoming frequently hard to find. I do live on a very wonderful hilltop seaview place, that is quiet as a tomb, but in my opinion, Kamala has become very messy and not nice in the past two years.

for me I do like Kamala in a small way although it does resemble a dirt town on the main road, it is also ripe to be over developed the same way as Kata /Karon and Patong.

Rawai will be the next but the advantage is that we are still thought of as a bit posh without a beach, load of crap but I would not even think of anything north of Kata.

The south is the last vestige of anything Thai in Phuket and that is not too Thai

I like Patong, although must confess I only go there once a month or so. One of our favourite cocktail bars is there and also a wonderful beach restaurant. I suppose if I were to live there it could become tiresome. I shall soon be moving to a new development near Heroines Monument. It seemed like a good idea to be right in the centre of the island but we shall see how it works out.

My taxi driver friend who I've known for 7 years made an interesting comment.

He said that he used to take his family to the beach on Sundays, but he couldn't do that anymore because like most Thais he couldn't afford the beach chairs and at most places the beach chair keepers chase Thais away if they set up a blanket in front of the beach chairs (saying that tourists don't like renting chairs if there are people sitting/sunbathing on the sand nearby).

He said, in a sad way, that Phuket beaches are mostly for tourists these days.

Phuket has been changing very fast. So chances are that if you love it ten years ago, you'll hate it today. And if you love it today, you will likely hate it in five years.

Though there are a number of "dug-in expats" who can change with the times and love Phuket no matter what.

does anyone have any links to websites with houses to rent in the area?

Hi Girlx go for it

Just found my dream place in Boat lagoon. (I know I said before I wanted to move to the Deep South on Phuket)

Did find it without agents, can tell I have mailed a lot and the only one to replay was Siam real estate, no other did bother.

http://www.phuketandamanrealestate.com/index.php

http://phuketislandrealestate.com/

http://www.gardenislandphuket.com/

http://www.siamrealestate.com/property/sre...&Submit.y=5

http://www.houseinphuket.com/

http://www.phuketandamanrealestate.com/index.php

http://www.thailandproperty.info/agentsphuket.asp

I like the southern part of the island from karon down to nai harn/rawai including chalong. The whole island, like most of the tourist parts of thailand is full of traffic and craziness, but if you want to live in thailand there seems to be a decent balance of modern amenities with the quiet beaches still to be found. Kathu is ok, but it is kind of locked in by traffic if u want to get to nice beaches or chilled out areas. Its one of the cheapest areas to live for a reason.

Plenty of housing, although as usual, u will need to hunt around in person. I pay 8,000 per month for a one bedroom place with a fenced yard, aircon, telephone, hot water, etc. its older, but very livable. It took me the better part of a month to find the place though. While looking I saw tons of good places for 15-25,000. Chalong is a good bet for cheap middle-class thai style housing such as moobans, etc. Phuket is probably the most expensive place to live in Thailand, but it does have the most variety which in turn makes it so desirable. It is one of those places where you are only limited by your budget, not by lack of stuff to do.

I'd say that if you move to phuket u might want to think about getting some kind of car. In my experience it makes living in phuket a million times easier.

Best of luck :o

I'd say that if you move to phuket u might want to think about getting some kind of car. In my experience it makes living in phuket a million times easier.

Ditto.

5 years ago, I'd say get a motorbike

now, I'd say a car

so, yeah, it has changed that much

mind you, I love riding anything on 2 wheels

Thank goodness for this forum!

Help help! I am a asian female, just flew in to Phuket on Christmas Day and hoping to decide how to spend at least a year in Thailand, learning the language and figuring out how to settle here.

Am currently living with my father, stepmother & half sister & 4 poodles at their new 3 storey shop/office.

Original plan was to take over the house, land & whatever else in Changrai and live there alone and study there, but Papa prefers that I am at arms reach to thwack my head silly if I ever ventured into dangerous stuffs like diving, motorcycle touring and decadant beers & late night activities with whatever males there is!

So here's my question for Phuket:

1) Where can I find a decent thai language school that can train me up to do translation services? I will need to read, write, speak & type Thai into English or Mandarin.

2) I would also like to keep myself active and attend dance classes, from belly dancing, salsa, latin, social & ballroom dance. IS there any reputable dance schools around?

3) Or someplace I can go for Yoga, Pilates & belly dancing training?

I am considering scouting out Phuket as a place to live. Can anyone answer these questions?:

-Is there enough dependable infrastructure there ie. are broadband connections easy to find?

-What are the rents like for a decent sized 1-bedroom with a yard for a dog?

-What is the best area to look in if you are in your late 20s/early 30s- I like to live in a quiet place but close to nightlife and conveniences.

-Are there Carrefours and Tescos and such?

-Is there a songthaew system in Phuket?

-I have heard that there is a lot more crime these days in Phuket, especially with ladyboys... can anyone comment?

I have been before but it's been awhile, thanks for any info...

Hi Girlx,

I moved here a few years back and am perfectly happy. Let's run through your questions

-yes, connections are fine, sometimes the pipe to Bangkok gets overloaded but most of the time, o.k.

-I live in a two story house in Rawaii, with yard, big garden in back (with dogs) and I pay 12,000thb a month in rent.

-#3 is tough. I live in Rawaii because it's a short commute to work and I spend a lot of my weekends at Nai Hairn Beach. This area would be good for you too......but, you have to travel for your nightlife. When I go, I generally park the bike and get a room for the weekend.

-Yes, but I recommmend giving the local Mom & Pop shops your business instead, builds relationships with the local people.

-Bus system not real great

-Crime is relative, just be smart. Don't ride the bike from Kata to Rawaii via the viewpoint by yourself at 4:00AM

Come on over, I'll show you around, cheers.

I like Patong, although must confess I only go there once a month or so. One of our favourite cocktail bars is there and also a wonderful beach restaurant. I suppose if I were to live there it could become tiresome. I shall soon be moving to a new development near Heroines Monument. It seemed like a good idea to be right in the centre of the island but we shall see how it works out.

Im sure it will work out fine, I live just north of the Monument, have done for the last two years, 9 k from Surin beach and a little further to the quite northern beachs. I like Patong, I stay in a hotel there if I go, mind I have to say the attraction is slowly leaving me!! think Im getting old :o:D

Im sure it will work out fine, I live just north of the Monument, have done for the last two years, 9 k from Surin beach and a little further to the quite northern beachs. I like Patong, I stay in a hotel there if I go, mind I have to say the attraction is slowly leaving me!! think Im getting old :o:D

I stay in CHALONG when in Thailand 4 - 6 months a year.

Patong gets like Sydney, good for a kwik short visit, but eventually oppressing and boring.

Getting tooo much like Pattaya.

A quiet spot like Chalong is great for my lifestyle, eat, drink, go beaches Naiharn, Kata etc on me scooter.

Love Phuket, lotsa places to go vist, and NOT travel miles of boring roads.

KiwiPete

Edited by Zpete

Interesting article in yesterday's BKK Post quoting a marine biologist and head of some agency.Paraphrasing some of her statements;

-Patong water quality bad and deteriorating

- Phuket will face water quality problem if development left unchecked (referencing the algae blooms, with emphasis on the killer tides that happened right before the tsunami)

- No tourist has died yet from contaminated mussels (reassuring I guess)

My favourite part: Irresponsible development is responsible for water problems and is caused by "Foreigners" (She may have been taken out of context by an over enthusiastic scribble journalist) Guess they forgot that the foreigners can't own land and that all of the big projects have Thai interests. When there's a problem, don't say Thai investors have moral obligation, just say it's the foreigners that are responsible.

same same.........

Can I tag along? I am totally clueless to Phuket and hate to rely on my stepmother and teenage sister.

I can always borrow/rent/steal the accountant's little honda wave for such a jaunt.

Absolutely,

I have Saturdays and Sundays off, sorry I don't know what proper etiquette it is here regarding getting in touch, don't really want to post my mobile # or my personal email here.........

Maybe we could meet somewhere you know and I'll where a bright shirt

Thank goodness for this forum!

Help help! I am a asian female, just flew in to Phuket on Christmas Day and hoping to decide how to spend at least a year in Thailand, learning the language and figuring out how to settle here.

Am currently living with my father, stepmother & half sister & 4 poodles at their new 3 storey shop/office.

Original plan was to take over the house, land & whatever else in Changrai and live there alone and study there, but Papa prefers that I am at arms reach to thwack my head silly if I ever ventured into dangerous stuffs like diving, motorcycle touring and decadant beers & late night activities with whatever males there is!

So here's my question for Phuket:

1) Where can I find a decent thai language school that can train me up to do translation services? I will need to read, write, speak & type Thai into English or Mandarin.

2) I would also like to keep myself active and attend dance classes, from belly dancing, salsa, latin, social & ballroom dance. IS there any reputable dance schools around?

3) Or someplace I can go for Yoga, Pilates & belly dancing training?

Hi VK,

if you are still around and looking at this thread, I'm free this weekend (5,6-1-08). Probably should look at a motorcycle I'm considering buying.....but other than that, no plans.

Tell me where you are, I'll respond with a location that is well known, and we'll set a time, I'll where a bright yellow or bright red Bier Chang shirt, and we'll cruise around. Bring beach wear as we'll want to swim after cruising in the heat. If it is Sunday maybe we can do Laem Singh beach party.

Whadaya think?

My taxi driver friend who I've known for 7 years made an interesting comment.

He said that he used to take his family to the beach on Sundays, but he couldn't do that anymore because like most Thais he couldn't afford the beach chairs and at most places the beach chair keepers chase Thais away if they set up a blanket in front of the beach chairs (saying that tourists don't like renting chairs if there are people sitting/sunbathing on the sand nearby).

He said, in a sad way, that Phuket beaches are mostly for tourists these days.

Phuket has been changing very fast. So chances are that if you love it ten years ago, you'll hate it today. And if you love it today, you will likely hate it in five years.

Though there are a number of "dug-in expats" who can change with the times and love Phuket no matter what.

Interesting. Not that I have been paying attention, but I haven't noticed any change in the numbers of Thais going to the beach. Of course, they reckon we are crazy becase we go out to the sand (and usually take the rented chair and umbrella), whereas they like to stay further back, amongst the trees where it's cooler. I've never, ever seen nor heard of the chair touts chasing them off and I am surprised about the the taxi driver's unfortunate experience.

I am also not a 'dug-in expat' but I do spend a lot of my time in Phuket. I think many of the changes have been for the better. Over the years, we have got Tesco, Big C, Central and Jungceylon for starters (up until ten or so years ago, it was a trip into Phuket Town to the (long closed) original Ocean department store. If you wanted a game of ten pin or wanted to visit the cinema, the only one was the Pearl (once again in Phuket Town). Exactly what is it about the 'old days' that you miss? In those 'old days', there were too many drunken farang during high season, there were the touts and ripoff merchants that we have today and the prices (in relative terms) were no cheaper. Indeed, some things were far dearer than they are today. Oh, and gawd help you if you wanted to make an international 'phone call! The beach facilities have improved at all the major beaches, there is a greater variety of accommodation options, there is far more competition in the restaurant industry (to the advantage of buyers), there are more activities available...

Just why is it that some people are never happy?

Edit:typo

Edited by Ping

Can I tag along? I am totally clueless to Phuket and hate to rely on my stepmother and teenage sister.

I can always borrow/rent/steal the accountant's little honda wave for such a jaunt.

Absolutely,

I have Saturdays and Sundays off, sorry I don't know what proper etiquette it is here regarding getting in touch, don't really want to post my mobile # or my personal email here.........

Hey hey! I've just read this.

I just got back from Tour of Northern Thailand with the family. Have yet to get myself a pre paid card phone and the accountant is off today, which means I might need to take out that humongous twin cab pick up to meet with you. Except I hate the tight squeeze parking and roads!

Where would you likely be looking at bikes? East Coast Riders? I just might need to drop in also to check why Eric/Kester isnt calling me back!

Absolutely,

Hey hey! I've just read this.

I just got back from Tour of Northern Thailand with the family. Have yet to get myself a pre paid card phone and the accountant is off today, which means I might need to take out that humongous twin cab pick up to meet with you. Except I hate the tight squeeze parking and roads!

Where would you likely be looking at bikes? East Coast Riders? I just might need to drop in also to check why Eric/Kester isnt calling me back!

Hi VK,

I just shot you a note to your email addy's.

Bike is from a private party, not sure I want to spend the cash just yet. But I have transpo for us no worries.

Anyhooo, shoot me a note back via regular email and lets cruise around.

Cheers,

HB