Looking For Perfect Location, But Only Need A Small Area For Business?

Ulysses G.

I happen to know that I have most of what he has and a heck of a lot that he doesn't. Again you aren't looking around. :D

I can think of one book written locally, about a local subject, and printed locally, that you don't have.

Quoting you when you were offered the chance to stock it - "You're not known so no-one will buy it, you're not like Unkovitch or others here that are known all over the internet".

Would this be by some chance a book that you or your friend wrote?

I suspect that I never said this, but I have been open for many years and have to deal with a lot of jerks, so it is not impossible. I like writers and admire them for doing what it takes to be one, as long as they are polite when dealing with me.

We do take books by most local authors, but on consignment. Stephen Leather and Christopher G. Moore have both send me some books on consignment and are perfect gentlemen. Their titles that I feel sure we can sell, I now pay cash for.

We don't pay cash for books that we aren't pretty sure will sell, because most books by local authors don't, but we try to give new writers a chance if they are pleasant about asking. Most new authors understand this, but there have been several obnoxious fellows who demanded that we must take their book and we must pay cash for it. My guess is that your friend is one of them and if so, I don't regret not having to deal with him.

The only other thing I can think of is one or two authors that were so annoying about coming here and telling us how to do business and where to place their books and things of this type, that I might have snapped and just told them the truth to get rid of them.

Sometimes honesty is the best policy.

As far as your opinion on my "pimping" rental properties in my area, you know what they say about opinions right. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

And as Gecko Books are a forum "sponsor" I fully expect this post will get snipped or pulled too - right?

There is a good reason for this policy. To keep sponsors.

In the last two days, both Tuskers and Gecko Books have been attacked by trolls who have only posted only a few times and every post was meant to hurt our reputations or our business on some level. These people are competitors - or have their own agenda - but the general public does not realize that when reading what they have to say and might be swayed by their distortions. I only realized what was going on when I did a search of their old posts.

I'm a big boy and don't mind constructive critisism, but posts from anonomous cowards that have no purpose except to damage don't deserve to be in print. No one would want to be a sponsor if it makes them a target for abuse, and the rule against slamming sponsors at least slows these people down.

And as Gecko Books are a forum "sponsor" I fully expect this post will get snipped or pulled too - right?

There is a good reason for this policy. To keep sponsors.

In the last two days, both Tuskers and Gecko Books have been attacked by trolls who have only posted only a few times and every post was meant to hurt our reputations or our business on some level. These people are competitors - or have their own agenda - but the general public does not realize that when reading what they have to say and might be swayed by their distortions. I only realized what was going on when I did a search of their old posts.

I'm a big boy and don't mind constructive critisism, but posts from anonomous cowards that have no purpose except to damage don't deserve to be in print. No one would want to be a sponsor if it makes them a target for abuse, and the rule against slamming sponsors at least slows these people down.

There might be one or two who are just jealous of your success..? So many people come with dreams of settling down here, but not all succeed. I am always amazed at how many second hand bookshops there are in Chiang Mai, but they all seem to do good business. My own library grew from a few dozen books, to many hundreds, and almost all from second-hand book stores. And I don't think I ever took any back..? I always bought books that I wanted to read, and wanted my children to read, so I kept them. Anyway, as I am getting off-topic, I will finally say this. The Tapae Gate area is a great area for a small business, and anyone who commits themselves to the relatively high rents, having done their market research, should do well. Encouraging more businesses into the area, whatever they sell, is only going to enhance the area for visitors. The only problem I have is lack of parking, since they closed parking on the square itself. I even got clamped the last time I nipped into Travel Shoppe to grab my tickets..! Cost - 200 baht, and a 10 min delay. :o

Edited by paulbrun

There might be one or two who are just jealous of your success..? So many people come with dreams of settling down here, but not all succeed. I am always amazed at how many second hand bookshops there are in Chiang Mai, but they all seem to do good business.

I am not being arrogant here, just honest. The truth is that, I'm pretty sure that the only used bookstores that are making a profit in CM are owned by me. The rest are being subsidized by someone's pension or bank account.

They all hate my guts and say that I'm not allowing anyone else to make money, but everything I'm doing is legal and I haven't done anything but run a good business.

I remember a few years ago when they were all involved in trying to put me out of business by destroying my property, harrasing me and threatening me (by e-mail) day and night, and I don't feel a bit sorry for them. :o