About Respect And Rules: Pattaya Mail Postbag.........

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail 'Mailbag' March 28th Edition

About respect and rules

Editor;

Every country has its rules; I respect that, but not everybody can know the rules of all countries. So, it might be an idea to display some rules before something has to be done.

Last week I had to go for immigration to make a new visa. Being in the office for about 15 minutes a man comes to tell me I cannot make visa with a shirt with no sleeves, so I go out to buy another shirt. Okay, let’s call that a rule, but don t talk about respect; you don t find that in the way people dress. Many “farang” come from countries 20 degrees colder than here, so it is possible they use this kind of shirt.

Coming back fully dressed I go to the desk for making a new visa where for the first time there is a reference to a dress code: “please, dress properly” (sounds like a request). Then my pictures for making a new visa are out of the question, because of wearing the same kind of shirt.

Going out again to make new pictures (close to immigration) I see the shop has some very simple signs about what kind off clothes are needed for making a picture everybody is happy with. Maybe something for immigration to check out.

Back to the desk with the right pictures, the man who sent me for a shirt comes to the lady at the desk to tell how bad I am and with 4 people they start to tell my lady that I am wrong all the way.

That is what we call a lack of respect; they make her feel really embarrassed and bad while my brain is still clear and I can be responsible for all my deeds.

Rules I have to respect; but respect you have to earn.

Dutchie

Majestic, Jomtien

Dutchie

I think Dutchie should find a new GF...if she had any wits about her, she would have advised him as to the proper dress and photos to use when conducting business at a Thai government office [as it seems he is so daft that he can't figure it out himself]. Apparently, she didn't care [of she is so clueless herself as to proper standards of comportment] that she allowed her BF would suffer a large measure of loss of face in his endeavor at Thai immigration.

Edited by jonniebkk

I have never heard or seen any dress code rule that says you have to have a long sleeve shirt or pictures with a long sleeve shirt for anyone to get a visa. I have been to the immigration many times for visa & 90 day reporting with a short sleeve shirt & jeans with no problem what so ever. Its a hot country many people only wear short sleeve or tee shirts whats wrong with that. Is this a new instruction for everyone who goes for a visa now? I can see that a dress code is needed in govermment buildings but a long sleeve shirt when its a hot summers day is over the top. May be the fact is he had no sleeves that he got the problem for.

Edited by scotsman

I think the problem boy was wearing shirt with no sleeves whatsoever, not short sleeves, not long sleeves, no sleeves. Personally, I think it is common sense not to take a visa picture with such a no sleeve shirt nor show up at immigration that way. I always wear a casual printed short sleeves button down shirt (worn out), long pants, and cheap leather shoes (not sandals) and I am usually among the best dressed there! So the standards are very, very low.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the problem boy was wearing shirt with no sleeves whatsoever, not short sleeves, not long sleeves, no sleeves. Personally, I think it is common sense not to take a visa picture with such a no sleeve shirt nor show up at immigration that way. I always wear a casual printed short sleeves button down shirt (worn out), long pants, and cheap leather shoes (not sandals) and I am usually among the best dressed there! So the standards are very, very low.

About the same as usually exhibitted at the British embassy by the beer bar holiday crowd trying to get visas for their latest "love you long time" conquests.

No matter where in the world I am if I am engaged in some kind of official business I wear a sleeved plain shirt, jeans and shoes or maybe trainers. Unless, that is, it is Sakhalin island in the middle of winter then the preceeding will be supplemented by another 15 layers. It is just not polite to turn up in a Singha singlet/Megadeth tee shirt, tatty shorts and flip flops. Maybe I am part of another generation to Dutchie but I don't need written rules to cover formal business contacts. I wonder if he requires such written rules to cover the suggested attire for a job interview.

The ignorance is staggering (btw, who was the fool who said ignorance is bliss?)

On my latest extension, there was a guy not just without sleeves, he did not have a shirt of any kind on at all. And seemed surprised and slightly offended by being told off.

Yes Jingthing, it is very easy to be the best dressed punter at immigration. And that is one thing for Pattaya in general; if you make even the slightest effort to keep clean, put some half decent clothes on, and polish your shoes (sandals and flip-flops are not shoes in my book), you stand out and is automatically given respect (and called hansum man, but that is for another time).

And same at my embassy, we went to get my g/f a visa to visit my country. Amazing, the room was teeming with tattooed ladies of the night, in torn jeans and reeking of mekong and somtam. My g/f had of course put on a businesslike dress, had done her homework and had all her ducks in a row. The 7 applicants before her was sent away, she was the first successfull one. OK, of course not only because of appearance, but also because of substance. But give yourself a fighting chance, in a country that is obsessed with appearance.

Well poor Dutchie hasn't received on posting in support of his complaint. Me thinks many of us who live here are just tired of these clueless chaps who do their best to give us all a bad name in the eye's of the Thais. :D

Likely he came in in a cut-off no sleeves or "tank-top" t-shirt. A regular printed t-shirt would not be a problem...but still not ideal but not likely to get you a refusal of service. However, the "standard" Pattaya dress-up of a printed Hawaiian shirt (tucked in or worn loose), neat Bermuda type shorts, and decent slip-on type shoes is fine...and most of these guys can't even muster this :o

It,s so easy.

I put a pair of light weight trackie bottoms on and an equally light weight short sleeved shirt on to look respectable ( rightly so in my opinion, by the way ) over my usual stuff, before entering Immigration, do the business, leave and take them off again as soon as i find a place to do so and put them back into a bag i have for the purpose.

Happiness all round

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

I am amazed that people think it is ok to wear improper attire when they go in any council buildingEven when i went to upgrade my thai driving license,i wore a shirt and jeans,with shoes.

Sometimes i find it hard to believe when i hear these stories.

RESPECT