New Ford Fiesta

I was just on the Ford of Thailand website and according to that, the new Fiesta is being prepared for sale in markets around the world including Asia, what do others think of the chances of it coming to Thailand are?

Given the continuing rise in fuel prices, and fords amazing diesel engines surely it would make sense to start offering a smaller car with a diesel engines like the fiesta? Until then it looks like a diesel Focus is on the cards when I eventualy move to LOS.

post-50067-1207834550.gif

I have no idea if it is the government or the vehicle manufacturers, BUT, Thailand is way past due making diesel cars available. The simple fact that a diesel engine is 30 percent more efficient should have been a good enough reason.

• 4 months later...

Enter Ford Fiesta

Next year (2009 or 2552), Ford will start production at their brand new facility in Thailand. The facility is a Mazda/Ford venture, and will be pushing out B segment cars. This means Mazda 2, and Ford Fiesta, and it means that Honda will have some fresh competition for the Jazz next year. And while the Honda Jazz is a minor step forward for Honda, the new Fiesta represents a quantum leap for Ford. Will it be enough to leap-frog the Jazz, and become a hit for Ford in SE Asia?

post-42643-1220064702_thumb.jpg

Enter Ford Fiesta

Next year (2009 or 2552), Ford will start production at their brand new facility in Thailand. The facility is a Mazda/Ford venture, and will be pushing out B segment cars. This means Mazda 2, and Ford Fiesta, and it means that Honda will have some fresh competition for the Jazz next year. And while the Honda Jazz is a minor step forward for Honda, the new Fiesta represents a quantum leap for Ford. Will it be enough to leap-frog the Jazz, and become a hit for Ford in SE Asia?

Several years behind Honda and Toyota it may be good only for markets where Fiesta is already entrenched.

Honda Jazz is such a fantastic vehicle (in Japan it is called "Honda Fit" and it's main rival "Toyota Vitz") that a Ford car would have to be dipped in honey before anyone bothers to look at it.

IMO, it's not aimed at Thailand but for other markets.

I would not hold your breath it coming in diesel form to start with not even for a number of years. The Japanese Government ,oops i mean manufacturers, getting confused here who invests and runs Thailands Motor Industry(definetly not Thai Government), would strongly resist a mainstream car model being diesel powered .

Thailand being a restricted market allows them to offer what they want to, not what the market demands unlike Europe and US(Honda have a fantastic diesel Accord in Europe, any sign of it in Thailand "Nope" despite it being available for a number of years) allows them to sell what other markets will not purchase in great numbers. Hence recent outcry when Govenment went offscript(must have had one eye on the PAD coming) and suggested immediate cuts for E85 reg vehicles, which the Japanese "say" they can't meet for 2 years and would favor Europeans.