Us Economic Stimulus Check?

I found it quite odd that I received a letter in the mail from the US Gov. that because of the economic stimulus package that i may receive up to a $1200 check in May or June.

I had a bit of laugh as i don't see how mailing out checks to ex-pats in Thailand would help stimulate the US economy....

Anyways i want nothing to do with this money, I do not require it (i did not apply for it), and like i said above i think it's a total waste of the tax payers money to be send this money to Ex-pats abroad...

But i don't want to throw up any "red flags" by contacting them and requesting I not be involved with the program.

Any suggestions...

Well, you don't have to cash the check.

Most people who get the check won't be buying much, they will be paying bills, debts, maybe banking it. If you want to stimulate the US economy, perhaps buy some US products?

I wish I had your problem. I would like the check but the nature of my income makes me ineligible.

Edited by Jingthing

I found it quite odd that I received a letter in the mail from the US Gov. that because of the economic stimulus package that i may receive up to a $1200 check in May or June.

I had a bit of laugh as i don't see how mailing out checks to ex-pats in Thailand would help stimulate the US economy....

Anyways i want nothing to do with this money, I do not require it (i did not apply for it), and like i said above i think it's a total waste of the tax payers money to be send this money to Ex-pats abroad...

But i don't want to throw up any "red flags" by contacting them and requesting I not be involved with the program.

Any suggestions...

Endorse it and send it to me. I assume that I'll be getting $0 because of my income bracket. I'll gladly spend yours on American made products. For that matter, all US expats can send me their checks.

As someone said, cash it and give the money to a thai charity.

Or... do like millions of other americans will do : just buy another LCD TV king size... made in China.

This is the great scheme that the boys from Wall Street and Washington have imagined, in order to "stimulate" the... US economy.

Powerfull, right ? :o

Those guys are so smart.

Edited by cclub75

I never realized that they were making a special effort to let us expats know that we could claim the stimulus refund. Sure enough, my notification letter from the IRS came to my Thai address, and bears a postmark from Laksi P.O., postal code 10210 in Thailand. I am planning to spend my refund check either in Thailand, or use it to repay debts that I incurred in Russia and Ireland.

the rebate almost covers the cost of my one-way ticket to Thailand on China Airlines. :o
That is American irony: George Bush and Congress give you a get-out-of-jail-free card, and you collect much more than $200 in Federal Reserve play money, to take a Chinese airline to Thailand.

I received the letter also - but we will not be receiving any money by my reading of the law - both parties on a joint return must have SSN and be citizen or resident alien.

Yep, and you need to file a 2007 return to be eligible. Because niether my Thai wife or my infant daughter have a social security number or a taxpayer ID #, they don't count. So I thought I may get a check based upon filing married with child, but I will only get the stimulus check based on a single person. Around $600 instead of $1200 for the family of 3. But still, money to spend in Thailand will be nice and help the US economy in oh so many ways. There's complete info at the irs.gov website. Incidentally I understand that the letter telling you about the check cost something like $60 million to mail out. My government at work!!!

Any suggestions...

When you file your taxes, that sets you up to automatically get the rebate/simulus check starting in May. Assuming you make enough to where you must file, you'll be getting the money. If you don't want it, donate the money to charity otherwise Uncle Sam will keep and spend the money on something he really don't need to--better you spend it versus Uncle Sam.

There are all kinds of tax benefits that evaporate after you earn over $150K, including the personal exemption and itemized deductions. Then there is alternative minimum tax. I spent years recalculating tax liability of individuals after they had been in an audit and Appeals. Very complex.

There are all kinds of tax benefits that evaporate after you earn over $150K, including the personal exemption and itemized deductions. Then there is alternative minimum tax. I spent years recalculating tax liability of individuals after they had been in an audit and Appeals. Very complex.

I do the taxes myself. If I owned real estate, I would seek professional help. The only thing that I need to itemize is state taxes (14k), so the filing process isn't that bad. I had no idea that my personal exemptions were reduced and I don't think AMT impacted me this year. Never been audited and bet it would be complex.

• 4 weeks later...
I received the letter also - but we will not be receiving any money by my reading of the law - both parties on a joint return must have SSN and be citizen or resident alien.

Yep, and you need to file a 2007 return to be eligible. Because niether my Thai wife or my infant daughter have a social security number or a taxpayer ID #, they don't count. So I thought I may get a check based upon filing married with child, but I will only get the stimulus check based on a single person. Around $600 instead of $1200 for the family of 3. But still, money to spend in Thailand will be nice and help the US economy in oh so many ways. There's complete info at the irs.gov website. Incidentally I understand that the letter telling you about the check cost something like $60 million to mail out. My government at work!!!

That's right. Some may be disappointed to read this:

http://www.newsobserver.com/1566/story/1068882.html

Any suggestions...

PM me for my postal address. Rest assurred it'll got to a good cause. :o