Current Baht Bus Prices?

maxjay

It's been 2 1/2 years since I lived in Jomtien and 4 years since I rode the baht bus.

What are the current prices? For just getting on, going in the direction they are going, and getting off when one needs to transfer or at their location.

When I lived in Jomtien/Pattaya, the cost, say from Soi 8 Beach Rd. to So. Pattaya Rd. was 5 baht. Within Jomtien, 5 baht. South Pattaya Rd. to Jomtien was 10 baht. That was for just getting on and going in the direction they were going.

Hiring one out for a special location, was always more. South Pattaya to Jomtien at night was usually between 60-80 baht.

Still the same?

Thanks.

Edited by maxjay

Generally 10 baht all journeys in Jomtien and from Jomtien to Pattaya. I will usually give 20 baht from Jomtien to anywhere north of Royal Garden otherwise the driver can get upset. As for night time private hire from South Pattaya to Jomtien, it can be as much as 150 baht especially if raining.

Yes, I am generous if the trip was somewhere out of the normal route.

I took a taxi yesterday thinking it was going to jomtien but he turned off to go to that hotel

near the meteorlogical station. I asked after if he would go to jomtien and we settled on 20 baht.

Very reasonable.

Occasionally you will get some jerk who after taking you from jomtien (beach road before the far end)

to pattaya and will tell you 20Baht at the Pattaya end. Just say no - even the motorcycle taxis

told me its 10baht - if you are forceful they won't argue.

I've seen it happen a couple of times where they think the tourist is ignorant and are surprised

when they aren't. Most I think are pretty honest.

It is 10 baht, short ride or long ride.

On this route, 5 baht is a problem except for a very short ride.

For long rides, like to Big C, you can usually still pay 10 if the bus is crowded; otherwise 20.

There is no need to pay over 10 if stopping at Pattaya Klang. I know what I am talking about on this; almost always 10 is accepted with no flak whatsoever to Pattaya Klang (note well, see exception below).

Going the other way, same issue, if you are going far out Jomtien, or coming far out Jomtien, easily 20.

Of course, the famous bus stand at Pattaya Tai to Jomtien is standardized at 10. If you are going too far and the bus empties out, they will probably usually either push for a charter (100 baht) or kick you off.

Edited by Jingthing

It is 10 baht, short ride or long ride.

On this route, 5 baht is a problem except for a very short ride.

For long rides, like to Big C, you can usually still pay 10 if the bus is crowded; otherwise 20.

There is no need to pay over 10 if stopping at Pattaya Klang. I know what I am talking about on this; almost always 10 is accepted with no flak whatsoever to Pattaya Klang (note well, see exception below).

Going the other way, same issue, if you are going far out Jomtien, or coming far out Jomtien, easily 20.

Of course, the famous bus stand at Pattaya Tai to Jomtien is standardized at 10. If you are going too far and the bus empties out, they will probably usually either push for a charter (100 baht) or kick you off.

So really the cost of a baht bus ride is a riddle. You're a resident here and even for you it's complicated.

Pay the driver whatever is required to keep "flak" to the absolute minimum.

These baht buses and their drivers are a joke.

Edited by tropo

If you are going too far and the bus empties out, they will probably usually either push for a charter (100 baht) or kick you off.

So really the cost of a baht bus ride is a riddle. You're a resident here and even for you it's complicated.

Pay the driver whatever is required to keep "flak" to the absolute minimum.

Worse than a joke; it is scandalous and a disgrace !

Baht bus is now 10 baht for everyone, including Thai citizens. The trip from South Pattaya Road-Jomtien (from the baht bus rank) is officially 10 baht, but I always pay 20 baht.

As you said, the problem is, if the baht bus thins out of passengers, it will not continue down to the official Sai Chaipreuk U turn. I often want to go to Sai Chaiapreuk and am sick of drivers turfing me out. in that instance, I pay them just 10 baht and walk (anything upto 2 miles) (good exercise).

Daytime charter should be no more than 100 baht. Night is a different matter....beware!

Tsssss... These people are providing a stellar service.. How often do you have to wait more than a few seconds for public transport.. And at 10 baht it's an absolute steal.. Other Thai cities it's definitely more..

Just to see the look on both of your faces I'd like to see them vanish overnight.. Repent, girls.

Tsssss... These people are providing a stellar service.. How often do you have to wait more than a few seconds for public transport.. And at 10 baht it's an absolute steal.. Other Thai cities it's definitely more..

Just to see the look on both of your faces I'd like to see them vanish overnight.. Repent, girls.

Let me tell you Mary Jefferson, I would be overjoyed if they vanished overnight. The last time I used one was May last year. The only service they offer me is getting in my way when I ride around town.

Edited by tropo

I think they are great for what they are when they act as buses. They are horrible as taxis. I would be very unhappy if they went away, unless there was a realistic replacement, such as trams that run on the exact same bus routes they do. That would actually be great to have a tram from far out Jomtien to far out Naklua.

Edited by Jingthing

I think they are great for what they are when they act as buses. They are horrible as taxis. I would be very unhappy if they went away, unless there was a realistic replacement, such as trams that run on the exact same bus routes they do. That would actually be great to have a tram from far out Jomtien to far out Naklua.

I can not see a tram service working. How would a tram service be different from the air conditioned bus service started a few years ago? (BTW, is that still running?).

The bus service was 3 times more expensive, run only once/twice an hour and was only supposed to stop at set locations. The baht bus service runs continuously, no waiting, at a low cost and with flexible stops, how can you beat that.

A tram service implies that it will somehow require some sort of construction along the route, rails, elevated track, electric power. We all know how that would work, molecular transfer at the speed of light will be invented before a project like that would be completed.

As for the Baht bus price today compared with what the OP paid it's surprisingly about the same. This despite the fact that fuel prices have more than doubled, car prices increased, living costs gone up and the number of baht buses doubled. No surprise the drivers are trying to get as much as possible out of unsuspecting travelers.

If Mayor Itipon says a tram is on its way, it's on its way!

Believe anything from Kamnam Poh and his offspring at your peril.

BTW are the pillars being erected on Sukhumvit in Pattaya for a sky train extension? :o