Us Marine Dies In Patong

mekka

The hotel was ..Club Andaman Beach Resort.. Patong.

I think you can google a pic of the hotel.

My room (with balcony) was opposite just meters away from Ebony's.

Amazingly later that same day, other young hotel guests could be seen sitting with legs dangling over the ledge smoking !!!! .. Six floors up !!

These rooms were non smoking .. hence hanging out the window.

I dont think Ebony did this as the N.C.I.S. told me she didnt smoke.

God bless you you all in your grieving. Please give my condolences to her parents.

J.J.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked at the hotel website for photos of their balcony and it seems in some rooms there is a balcony, while in others there is just a window that opens up with no railing outside. Seems these windows should be kept permanently locked and closed.

Loobyloo,

You didn't register with your email, so I am going to post this here. Ebony's mom wanted me to thank you for leaving flowers for her daughter. Please contact me so that I can pass your email to her mother, so she can thank you personally.

Management and ownership at that place is the worst.

I'm really terribly sorry about this tragedy, but now that I know the hotel it ocurred at, I'm not surprised.

They pulled some really bad business tactics on me, can't stand that place.

If possible, if any good can come of this, please try and inform the people that make onshore arrangements that this is NOT a hotel they want to do business with.

I was in Patong today and walked past this hotel. I could clearly see the guest rooms with sliding doors and a ledge and some flowers . . . and that's it! no wall, no railing, nothing.

How on earth can anyone even consider building a hotel with a design feature that does nothing to stop guests falling to their death when they step outside of their room to get some fresh air?

Amazing - even for Thailand.

Simon

Management and ownership at that place is the worst.

I'm really terribly sorry about this tragedy, but now that I know the hotel it ocurred at, I'm not surprised.

They pulled some really bad business tactics on me, can't stand that place.

If possible, if any good can come of this, please try and inform the people that make onshore arrangements that this is NOT a hotel they want to do business with.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I stayed there at one time and yes, tthe management is the worst. Service people stay somewhere else. My best wishes for the family and friends.

Tragic story, and the sad thing is that the Hotel will probably not need to take any responsibility for this and will carry on with their unsafe practices without any proper investigation. The victim will be blamed for being drunk, and with it, nothing will get done. Welcome to Thailand, where cash is all that matters to these greedy bastards. :o

Sincere condolences to the family and friends.

I declined to post this earlier out of respect to Ebony's friends and relatives, but it should be noted that the local Thai-language newspaper here in Phuket , Siangtai, reported her death as a suicide, not an accident, and also ran a picture of the body.

They quoted two of her friends that with with her that night as saying that she had once tried to take her life while at sea, but was talked out of it by friends.

I won't provide the link here as I think the image will be disturbing, but they did give the names of the two girls. Send me a PM if you feel you need the link.

I only add this in fairness because there seems to be a lot of finger-pointing at the hotel. If Siantai's report is true some of this may be unjustified.

I declined to post this earlier out of respect to Ebony's friends and relatives, but it should be noted that the local Thai-language newspaper here in Phuket , Siangtai, reported her death as a suicide, not an accident, and also ran a picture of the body.

They quoted two of her friends that with with her that night as saying that she had once tried to take her life while at sea, but was talked out of it by friends.

I won't provide the link here as I think the image will be disturbing, but they did give the names of the two girls. Send me a PM if you feel you need the link.

I only add this in fairness because there seems to be a lot of finger-pointing at the hotel. If Siantai's report is true some of this may be unjustified.

Im not writing this for anyone other than Ebony and those who love her, I could care less what anyone else is saying out there, I just want to ensure everyone who matters knows that all the speculation & rumors going on are not the truth. To the guy who posted this I appreciate you trying to level the field and its nothing personal against you but these statments are in poor taste, and Im speaking specifically to her loved ones on this because we & our closure with this is all we have control of. The only people who know the truth were the 3 other girls in that room who have not even been honorable enough, as marines, as her so called "Battle Buddy" to speak up, if only to her family. I spoke with Ebony a few hours before her death, not only that, I knew her very well, spoke to her via email & phone EVERY DAY she was deployed, not to mention she was only deployed for 3 weeks she was not lonely or homesick-- having before gotten to Thailand for a week of liberty, been in Hawaii!!! So thats not even a factor I have no idea what her so-called "friends" were talking about if the "quotes" were even really quoted. She would never have turned to people on that boat for any personal issues or deep decisions she always called her father or myself so nothing about that story could be true. And if it was just an accident there would be no one to point fingers at there would be no need for all these rumors you speak of. If someone knew what happened it would be reported. So for a fact I KNOW she would NEVER, EVER commit suicide... wouldnt even think of it! She had plans for that trip, as this was like a mini-vacation for her, and for life after she returned from deployment. Ebony was never a depressed person she was vibrant and happy and full of life. She was strong & motivated & determined. She had a wonderful supportive & loving group of family & friends she was very open with. Whatever may have happened that night in Thailand wether it was foul play or an accident make no mistake Cpl Cooper did NOT commit suicide, thats against everything she stood for. She would NEVER. POINT BLANK PERIOD!!!! That country is obviously ass backwards anyways to run a story based on speculation and rumors and no facts; to show pictures of a fallen soldier (or civilian even!) is absoloutely immoral & disgusting. Not only that but to have an establishment (s) that has unsafe architecture and for this "accident" to be a "common" occurance there without any change proves how ludacris they are. Nothing anyone says will bring her back to us and really thats all we want, but I loathe the idea of people muddying her name which such ridiculous & ignorant ideals. Commiting suicide is not "common" or typical of anyone I know. And of everyone I know Ebony loved her life, she valued every day. She was so immensely excited about her future, about our future. So from someone who knew and loved her... please allow our girl to rest in peace and stop with the rumors, you didnt know her so everything ya'll are saying is speculation... and in all truth people lie, military always lies, and we will probably never know the truth. I know I got a phone call from her saying she'd call me from her room, that was a call I never received. Part of me is still waiting. I know her father lost his best friend. I know her mother is heartbroken. Her friends & family are hurting. But we will all get through this because Ebony left every one of us with a piece of her strength & love to do so. She called herself an "old soul" because she truly was a very wise & generous person, beyond her years. She had a great purpose and she obviously fulfilled it, earlier than any of us expected but nonetheless shes better off than are we, for she is at peace and we must face this. If God ever needed an angel, he certainly called on the right woman. God Bless & Semper Fi!!!!!!!!

~Shay

Edited by daddysgirl82

Those closest to person sometimes do not know them at all. Maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong - unfortunately you will never know. I think its pointless to debate the cause because in the end, not going to bring the person back. :o

Those closest to person sometimes do not know them at all. Maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong - unfortunately you will never know. I think its pointless to debate the cause because in the end, not going to bring the person back. :o

How dare you even post something like this!!!!!!!!! I feel sorry for you that you NEVER had a person in your life like Ebony. Maybe if you had you wouldn't be so condescending. Thank you Shay for what you had to say. I loved her too and will miss her forever. I KNOW that she didn't commit suicide and I am grateful that Ebony was the way she was. People will never understand fully how wonderful she really was........no is. For all you insensitive people that are talking out your behinds, try to remember that friends and family read this and I for one don't appreciate you saying anything against our Ebony. Obviously you don't know her at all or else the thought of suicide would never cross your mind. Sue and Emily shame on you and your guilt will weigh on you greatly. YOU know what happened, and how can you live with yourselves? I can't believe you two whoremongers had the nerve to be quoted in the paper as saying that she tried this before. If that was true, Ebony wouldn't have been able to go overseas. Or are we supposed to believe Sue and Emily, that you two were the only ones that knew about it? Where is the proof of this? As for the picture, that was foul to say the least. Anyone who knows Ebony knows that she had more respect for herself than to even think of committing suicide. She was a private person and would never have ended her own life or in her underwear at that. I pray for justice for those who were wronged. Ebony's death will not go unanswered. GOD is going to work it out with the ones that were involved. Ebony was a chosen one and was taken away too soon. The ones who are responsible will pay and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you with HIS wrath comes down upon you.

Sorry for offending, no ill will towards you or your loved ones! I have many loved ones, so you shant worry about me. You cherish what time you have with them, and remember the good times even when they have passed on. :D

I'll excuse your vitriol, and I know its not through ill will, just plain grief. :o

San Antonio (Texas, USA) Express-News Obituary:

Ebony P. Cooper

a72548_6142008.jpg

Cpl. Ebony P. Cooper passed away June 4, 2008 in Thailand. She was active duty in the U.S. Marine Corps. Born in El Paso, Texas in 1982, she leaves to cherish her memories her father, Michael A. Cooper; mother, Petrina Smoote; step-mother, Cheryl Cooper; three brothers, Marcus, Rashad and Orrin; one sister, Kelsey Cooper; uncles, Eric, Mark, Durrick, Graig and Terry; and aunt Rochelle. Funeral service is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Monday, June 16, 2008 at Second Baptist Church, 3310 E. Commerce St. Rev. DR. R.L. Jemerson pastor, Elder James Lewis, Healing Temple, C.O.G.I.C. Eulogist. Interment will be in Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery @ 11:30 a.m. Lewis Funeral Home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obituary: Cooper was stand-out athlete, fearless Marine

A high school track star — she was a nine-time district sprint champ in El Paso and at San Antonio's MacArthur High School — Ebony P. Cooper grew up to honor her country and serve in her beloved Marine Corps.

“She was fearless, and she loved what she was doing,” said her father, Michael A. Cooper, a 23-year patrolman with the San Antonio Police Department. “She thought being a Marine was a challenge, one that she was up for.”

Cpl. Ebony Cooper, on her first overseas deployment, fell from a seventh-floor hotel balcony in Thailand and died June 4. She was 25.

She went to college for several years — she was on a track scholarship at Lamar University and attended St. Philip's College and Trinity University.

“But that just didn't work out for her, it wasn't enough of a challenge, I guess, so she quit school and joined the Marines” in 2006, Michael Cooper said. “It was a natural, because loving her country and her God, she knew the Marines were for her.”

Born in El Paso and raised there by her mother, Cooper came to live with her father in San Antonio as a teenager in the late 1990s.

She loved playing basketball with her three brothers and younger sister. But it was at track that she excelled. She ran the 100- and 200-meter dashes as well as the 400 meters, a race in which she won district championships at MacArthur in 1998, 1999 and 2000.

At home on leave in May, Cooper would talk with her father long into the night “about anything she wanted to talk about, sports, her life, everything,” Michael Cooper said. “That is what I'll miss the most about her, because she shared so much with me. Our relationship was like she could talk to me about anything under the sun.”

During that week she spent at home, she did what she loved, hanging with her siblings in her adopted hometown “before it got too humid. She didn't like the humidity, but that was the only thing she didn't like about San Antonio,” her father said with a laugh.

“She was very proud to serve her country, and she knew the dangers because we talked about that all the time,” he said. “I have a dangerous job and she just wanted to do something that would make me proud. Not too many people join the Marines in wartime, but she did not hesitate. And she made me proud.”

================================================================================

Sincerest condolences to family and friends from a fellow American vet.

Edited by sriracha john

I AM NOT WRITING OUT OF GRIEF. I DIDNT LIKE YOUR RESPONSE. IT WAS VERY INSENSITIVE AND MAYBE YOU WILL THINK TWICE ABOUT WHAT YOU WRITE. FYI, EBONY WAS A WONDERFUL ANGEL THAT GOD BLESSED US WITH AND THOSE WHO WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO KNOW HER ARE EXTREMELY HURT AND ANGRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. ALL WE ASK IS THAT YOU POST FACTS SO WE CAN GET THE INFORMATION THAT WE NEED AND DESERVE.

I AM NOT WRITING OUT OF GRIEF. I DIDNT LIKE YOUR RESPONSE. IT WAS VERY INSENSITIVE AND MAYBE YOU WILL THINK TWICE ABOUT WHAT YOU WRITE. FYI, EBONY WAS A WONDERFUL ANGEL THAT GOD BLESSED US WITH AND THOSE WHO WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO KNOW HER ARE EXTREMELY HURT AND ANGRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. ALL WE ASK IS THAT YOU POST FACTS SO WE CAN GET THE INFORMATION THAT WE NEED AND DESERVE.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Thanks. I know Im not the only one who has Ebonys back she is so well loved. She is so blessed. We all are to have each other in this time. My prayers are with you all. Love ya, God Bless!!!

Couldnt have said it better myself. Thanks. I know Im not the only one who has Ebonys back she is so well loved. She is so blessed. We all are to have each other in this time. My prayers are with you all. Love ya, God Bless!!!

Terrible dam_n shame, what a pretty lady, dam_n shame that this had to happen.

I apologize to all that knew her, just so happens, Thailand usually is pretty safe but at times, not a safe place. Seems to me that it was an accident coupled with negligent building codes, which is nothing new here. Seems to me she stepped out for a breath of fresh air, reached for a non-existent railing.

I'm sure her mates are in as much shock as the rest so try not to be too hard on them.

Hi i just want to offer me sincerest condolences to Ebony's family and friends at this tragic time.

I didn't know Ebony but we were staying at the hotel at the time of her death. Our balcony overlooked where this terrible accident occured. We went out onto our balcony just after 6am and saw her body on the ground below, and there were a couple of girls (american) who came running down screaming for help and for someone to call 911, so i don't think it had occured to long before that.

To everybody out there who is speculating that this poor girl committed suicide i believe you are wrong!!! For the position her body was in she either had to have fallen or been pushed, not only that she had flowers and branches clenched in her hands which she had pulled out of the planterbox outside the room, hardly the actions of someone who is wanting to commit suicide.

To her family, i know nothing will ever bring Ebony back but i do hope you find out the truth about what happened so that it may help you to acheive some sort of peace.

Once again i am terribly sorry for your tragic loss.

smileysmiley,

Thank you for your information. We as Ebony's family and friends know that she didn't commit suicide. That thought never entered our minds. I am glad that there are people out there like you that will give us the information that we need. We are still trying to piece all of it together and we will always miss our Ebony. There are more people out there that know what happened. What happened to the ones who actually saw her fall? From what I understand they had to receive counseling. Where are they? Why haven't they said anything? What did they see?

Hi

There are more people out there that know what happened. What happened to the ones who actually saw her fall? From what I understand they had to receive counseling. Where are they? Why haven't they said anything? What did they see?

I am sure they have been talking to Police and US Navy, maybe they dont read this.

Where is the police and US Navy report in this tragic accident?

• 4 weeks later...

There are still so many unanswered questions and now another young marine has died. Again, no answers for his family either. How many times does this have to happen before something is done? Is there some magical number that needs to be reached? One life is one too many and those of us who have lost a loved one need answers desperately. Ebony, I will never get over this or understand why this had to happen to a wonderful person like you. I miss you.

Another Marine died ???

Didnt even realize there were any ships in !!

US Special Forces/ DEA / Aust Fed Pol & others are always stationed/visiting in Thailand & nearby countries to train locals & assist on Drug & Organised Transnational Crime interdiction.

That means supply , transport & other support sections.

:o

As this was the Patong thread I made the incorrect assumption it was another Patong death.. The way the post above was worded it sounded as though it was a similar event.

When its marines in Patong its 99 times from a 100 the ships are in..

I just can't believe that we still haven't received the answers that we need. There are people out there that know something. It has been over a month already and that is WAY too long for a mother to go without knowing what happened to her child. Please come forward with what you know. We all love and miss Ebony terribly!

Edited by mickeyluvsmom

I just can't believe that we still haven't received the answers that we need. There are people out there that know something. It has been over a month already and that is WAY too long for a mother to go without knowing what happened to her child. Please come forward with what you know. We all love and miss Ebony terribly!

To all of you people that are family and friends to this woman, please know all of us here at the Forum feel badly about this and only hope that you'll find peace at some point.

Really, from all that I can gather, this was just a bad accident. Shoddy building codes meant there was no railing and she accidentally fell. To me there really doesn't seem to be more to the story than that. No conspiracy, no thugs, no criminals, an accident.

We are very sorry for your loss, from what I can see and tell the world lost a bright light.

RIP Ebony

Falling out of hotels seems to be quite common in Phuket. I am just trying to remember when the previous report of this was.

I don't hear much about people falling out of hotels in other countries. Not sure why.

well if we are talking americans, most have never lived in a condo or been in a high building with a balcony. add alcohol and people end up falling over. it happens nightly during college spring break when everyone hits the beach motels.