Need Some Cheap Good Eyeglasses

rmicheald

Can anyone tell me where I might puchase some inexpensive but Quality eyeglasses? I have run into the bait and switch at a couple of places where they tell me it is some low price and then when I go back to get the details it is about 10 times higher than they originally said.

I need progressive lens glasses.

Thanks

Micheal

Can anyone tell me where I might puchase some inexpensive but Quality eyeglasses? I have run into the bait and switch at a couple of places where they tell me it is some low price and then when I go back to get the details it is about 10 times higher than they originally said.

Thanks

Micheal

You will only get good quality eyeglasses if you pay for them. Don't fall into the cheap glasses 2 for 1 etc. tricks they play.

Find a good optician (very difficult in Pattaya), this is important. If you are going to pay 12,000 baht upwards for a pair of quality glasses your eyes need to be tested properly, by someone fully trained and knowledgable. A fully trained optometrist will know all about the finer workings of the eye and ask many questions about your eyes.

They should know about tangential and sagittal meridians!!!

How I laugh, when I pass by the scores of opticians in Pattaya, at the perfectly made-up girls in their snow-white garb.....perfect for selling you a product....all they know about an eye test is the 'Is that better, how about this?' five minute eyetest.

Do yourself a favour, take care of your eyes, go to a fully qualified optician, have a proper eyetest, then pay for the best lenses you can, frame quality is of secondary importance.

I learnt the hard way in Pattaya. Now I insist on the best.

Whilst always bearing mind Libya's comments, I bought a pair of varifocals at one of the 'bucket' shops a couple of years ago and they have been very good. I used the small optician situated within the Lotus store in Pattaya Nua and they cost me around 6000 Baht. I have to confess though that the eyetest was only a quick look into one of the desktop machines and a couple of measurements, but as I say I haven't got any complaints with the result. Maybe I was just lucky!

Frames are expensive in Thailand but I've found that the progressive lenses are much the same price as elsewhere I've looked (Dubai and Seoul).

The lenses are bought from a manufacturer and ground down to fit the frame by the optician so if you are after quality lenses ask what maufacturer they are. Hoya and Zeiss are pretty good.

Thanks

Micheal

Hop on a bus to Sriracha (Si Racha) and check out the large night market, not far from Robinsons. My wife got a pair of reading glasses from a qualified Thai who sets up shop in the market every night. She paid 1000b and he tested her eyes properly and did the glasses within 40mins. Take a Thai person with you, as his English is minimal. Good luck.

Thanks

Micheal

Hop on a bus to Sriracha (Si Racha) and check out the large night market, not far from Robinsons. My wife got a pair of reading glasses from a qualified Thai who sets up shop in the market every night. She paid 1000b and he tested her eyes properly and did the glasses within 40mins. Take a Thai person with you, as his English is minimal. Good luck.

Don't take this the wrong way but i find it comical that you can get your eyes tested and prescription glasses from a night market staller! If he is qaulified, why work from a market why not a hospital or shop?

Amazing Thailand! :D

P.S Your avator is very interesting :o

• 1 year later...

i started to buy cheap eyeglasses online last year and most of them are working out great. i own many neat frames to match to different dress. i love buying online especially cheap eyeglasses online. The latest frame i bought was from Firmoo.

when buying online, there are simply three steps to follow: First, you have to select the discount frames categories as you like. Second, you can try on the discount frames you chose. Usually there is a virtual mirror on the page which can help you see how the frame look like on different people of different gender, color, face shape etc. Last, after filling in all the necessary information(as your prescrepion list said, SPH,PD etc), you can just wait for discount frames delivered to you.

Of course, most of the online shop not only sell the discount frames, but also help fitting the lenses as per your prescriptions. The also sell full pair of eyeglasses in discount frames.

Edited by vivilben

"One get's what one pays for"! - unless unfortunately ripped off as this is TiT!

Here on Samui - "Beautiful Eyes" Chain is running a buy one get THREE! Ad-Campaign!

I would give 'em a try.... there is no MUST buy, look check first...

Have you considered Lasik (eye laser surgery) or Implants ? I recently had Lasik at the Bangkok-Pattaya hospital with Dr Somchai, my eyes were very bad before, and now i have thrown my glasses in the bin !!

You will be getting them back out of the bin again PDQ ,the older you are the less success,fact is there is no sucess,back to square one within 18 months eyes deterioate quickly after 50,even with laser surgery,the doc should have told you,its all down to money.

I agree frames are secondary importance

Edited by jb4446