• Up through Nakhon Sawan
    • Up through Suphan Buri
    • Up through Kanchan Buri
    • Up through Lop Buri
    • Up through Chaiyaphum
    • Up through Korat
  2. 2. Travel Time

• Bring it on, I can do it in one day!
    • Give my poor butt a break, let's stop for a night.
    • I know of a good hotel along the route that I voted for.
    • The route I voted for passes by my house and I'm offering a place for the riders to stay at.

This poll is closed to new votes

Oh and one more thing; there is no Kanchanburi/Umphang unless you have machetes and a BMW GS.

OK so that means this is not a viable route ??

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...7.03125&z=8

Indeed LivingLOS- be careful about Google Maps, a great tool but it does have some limitations- if there is a hiking trail or an ancient unmaintained road with bridges out Google Maps will still plot it. I've discovered this firsthand through trial and error. The route you mapped includes "Unknown road"- that's a red flag for sure and an indication you're probably looking at a laterite fire road or hiking trail.

The ride to 3 Pagodas Pass is a beautiful one, but really ought to be saved for another trip.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

555 LivingLOS- I hear ya- there's a thread on the GT Rider forum about some guys trying to machete a path through, but to date it sounds like it's still impassable on a motorcycle.

Here's an outstanding report for a recommended ride between Kanchanaburi and Mae Sot: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycl...oads-t3453.html

Mae Sot - Kanchanaburi on Back Roads

I'd love to do this ride, but not sure it really fits in to our Chiang Mai plans unless we stretch the trip out an extra day.

I dont know what mapping others have (my garmin should be here any day) but looking at a paper 'road map of Thailand' from Thinknet theres an interesting route linking Umphang to Pang Wai (and in turn nakhon sawan the 1 north etc) via a tiny Huai Nam Yen on a rd marked the 1117. Its clearly marked as a connection on paper but not on GMaps ?!?! I cant find my thinkmaps CD either right now !!

If that connects it means a nice option opens up going

Kanchanaburi

Dan Chang

Lan Sak

Pang Wai -> 1117

Umphang

Meaning we can overnight umphang or then to the 1090 to Mae Sot also in that day 1 all depending on time etc..

That keeps us on the eastern route and includes the umphang 1090 route.. And makes a day thats not a total killer.. makes for a 2 day strategy.

All hinges on this 1117 connection.. Will see if I can install the gramin mapsource or find my Thinknet CD.

555 LivingLOS- I hear ya- there's a thread on the GT Rider forum about some guys trying to machete a path through, but to date it sounds like it's still impassable on a motorcycle.

Here's an outstanding report for a recommended ride between Kanchanaburi and Mae Sot: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycl...oads-t3453.html

Mae Sot - Kanchanaburi on Back Roads

I'd love to do this ride, but not sure it really fits in to our Chiang Mai plans unless we stretch the trip out an extra day.

Nice ride report.. Scanning closely on my thinkmap route lots of those 4 digit roads he mentions are not marked.. Presume my map (06) is too old or these are too small... Which in turn makes me think this 1117 route is more of an option..

Does anyone know Umphang eastbound on the 1117 via Huai Nam Yen and what looks like skirting the Mae Wong Nat Park ?? Heads eastbound to Khlong Lan with a turn south east to Pang Wai.. If that road is actually a real road (and this thinknet map doesnt include other goat trails.. Its a normal drivers map) then that could be our gateway to link umphang into our route ?? And makes for good day distances.

Hadnt thought to turn satellite on !!! Tho also dont know how many years old those are.. Phukets ones are a good few years out of date.. If you look real close you can see some kind of trail leaving the 'end of the road' but guess that ones best left for the Machete wielding muppets crew !! :D !!

OK bummer about that road.. Thinknet has some answering to do :o !!

So if thats roads closed.. We need to admit that its Kanchanaburi to Mae Sot ?? then decide do we day trip to umphang ??

I dont see a Mae Sot to Umphang and back in a morning before setting off on a Mae Sot to CM ride being a relaxed day.. Looks like a lot of KMs in that ??

Edited by LivinLOS

We need to admit that its Kanchanaburi to Mae Sot ?? then decide do we day trip to umphang ??

I dont see a Mae Sot to Umphang and back in a morning before setting off on a Mae Sot to CM ride being a relaxed day.. Looks like a lot of KMs in that ??

Agree 110%

IMHO if we're going to do the Mae Sot-Umphang ride we should add an extra day to the trip. Or, just save Umphang for another trip and keep the focus of this trip on Chiang Mai.

Its daves baby so if hes got his mind set on that road.. thats OK with me.. I am just along for the jolly.. But as I said elsewhere I intend to spend the next week doing routes around CM / CR / Pai its one of many roads I want to see..

I am even bringing my passport as I might hop over to Laos anyone fancy coming back Laos with Luam Prabang, Vien Chen, Vien Viang, Paxse to Cambo, Siam Reap, PP, Sihanouk and in to Patts ???.. I mean we are talking Iron Butt here arent we ??

Route 1.. Mostly the smaller back roads..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=....943848&z=8

Thats listed at 10 hours.. I suspect we will do it in less.. Still means a meet well outside BKK at 8ish to be in daylight.. Dawn departure if taking in the slow grouping factor.

Or being less fanatic about staying on the smaller ones.

Route 2

That takes just 20 - 30 kms of Route 1 in and drops the overall time to sub 9 hours ?? Doing either Kamphaeng Phet to Wang Chao or even on to Tak ??

Other options are more staying with the 333 eastbound but doesnt seem to change the time much..

I will leave it at that and let others chime in.. Going cross eyed looking at maps.. More used to just setting off and going by compass !!

Edited by LivinLOS

I have DL'ed the ESRI Thai maps (8.1) and installed the latest mapsource etc..

Seems even some of the above route leaves tarmac ?? Dont know how you guys feel about that.. Garmin shows no hookup between Nat hwy 1116 and 1109, from what GE and GMaps shows theres a couple of kms of dirt there, definitely links up, houses etc on it. Looks to be just a few 100m ?!?

Thats the section in the Route 1 smaller backroads version.

Edited by LivinLOS

Nightmare... Mid last month I ordered a 60csx with rail mounts, extra memory, chrager, etc etc etc.. Paid top rate as I wanted one seller to ship everything so it would 100% be here.. Was assured it was all in stock before I bought it (ebay powerseller)..

Then a week later I found out they hadnt shipped..

Now I do a track and trace and its been sent to totally the wrong country !! The have sent it to the country my credit card is registered.. With a Thai address.. total miss mash..

Sometimes life refuses to go the way you want !!

Route 1.. Mostly the smaller back roads..

Thats listed at 10 hours.. I suspect we will do it in less.. Still means a meet well outside BKK at 8ish to be in daylight.. Dawn departure if taking in the slow grouping factor.

Or being less fanatic about staying on the smaller ones.

Route 2

That takes just 20 - 30 kms of Route 1 in and drops the overall time to sub 9 hours ?? Doing either Kamphaeng Phet to Wang Chao or even on to Tak ??

Other options are more staying with the 333 eastbound but doesnt seem to change the time much..

I will leave it at that and let others chime in.. Going cross eyed looking at maps.. More used to just setting off and going by compass !!

Seems to have whittled the Bangkok group down to just BigbikeBKK, dotcom, Meridian, and I. I'll leave Bang Pu early, meet up with dotcom on my up to Rama 4, and the other two where they want to.

Well, if we wanted to get the Ban Rai run in, I'd recommend going almost your route. However, don't skirt Lan Sak; 3456 isn't that great of a road. Keep on 3438 up toward Mae Poen, and there's a really decent road that will deposit us onto 1072. Otherwise, I agree with you.

I'd like the southern 108 route; will give our bums a rest to attack the roads surrounding Chiang Mai the next day.

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you.

The route you've plotted for day one looks good. Unfortunately I live on the east side of Bangkok and it will take me a good 2 hours just to reach your starting point on Route 323. So- for me the day would be about 640km and 11 hours of riding... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...617981&z=11 :o

11 hours in the saddle is a bit much for me so I'm thinking perhaps I'll leave home on the 20th and spend the evening with friends in Suphan Buri, that way I can rendezvous with you guys as you come up the 333. U Thong would be an easy place to meet- there's a Caltex station in U Thong right where the 321 turns into the 333:

UThong321_333.jpg

Any thoughts of where we might stay in Mae Sot?

Happy Trails!

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you.

I've been working like a dog; only time I get on the net is after 2230 Thai time.

The route you've plotted for day one looks good. Unfortunately I live on the east side of Bangkok and it will take me a good 2 hours just to reach your starting point on Route 323. So- for me the day would be about 640km and 11 hours of riding... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...617981&z=11 :o

I think that Google Maps is quite conservative in their estimations of time. In fact, I'm going from further south than you; if you would take the Minburi to Lat Krabang (3119) you'd save quite a bit of time. We could meet up on Petchaburi and 3344 (Srinarkarin). Petchaburi over to Thanon Witthayu and out to Hwy 4. I'd have to get exact time that it would take you, but according to Google Maps that would only take you 2 1/4 hours to get out to 323. Your longest run (and this is where I believe they overestimate it) is the last section. They estimate a 50 km/h average on 4+ lane roads for the majority of the route? I'm willing to bet that we're able to actually average 75 over that area and drop that section down to 7 hours. I've been wrong before, but that's essentially the same route that I take when we go up from Bang Pu and I've often cruised at 140+ for 10's of kilometers.

11 hours in the saddle is a bit much for me so I'm thinking perhaps I'll leave home on the 20th and spend the evening with friends in Suphan Buri, that way I can rendezvous with you guys as you come up the 333. U Thong would be an easy place to meet- there's a Caltex station in U Thong right where the 321 turns into the 333:

UThong321_333.jpg

Any thoughts of where we might stay in Mae Sot?

A hotel? None specific in mind.

Happy Trails!

That route looks fine..

2 day trip ??

Accommodation ideas Mae Sot ??

That's the general consensus.

Will look into GF's air tickets..

You're more than welcome to utilise my truck to pick 'er up from the airport.

Also do any of us have a GPS ?? I am well annoyed to have got messed around..

I have a Garmin Zumo that has the latest (as of July) OFFICIAL ERSI maps.

Well I got an assurance last night that the thing I needed cleared off my schedule will be done ahead of time.. So that was my last worry and now 100% on.. hel_l or high water I will be there. It would take a totally unforeseen event now to knock me out,,, that or predictions of 3 or 4 days solid rain :o !!

Also after the annoying screwup of the GPS order I blagged a unit off a mate as a loaner.. So sorted on that front too..

Will go and book the GF's flights HKT to CM and back.

Current plan is a 2 day ride up.. So CM on evening 22..

Some mention was made of the Downtown inn ??? A buddy is doing a price check on the Ramming Lodge for me and I have a mate whose a manager with a higher end boutique place that I might use for a week as the GF will be with me and she can have some luxury treatment that I dont really look for.. If all plans are stuck to I will hang about in CM / CR for a week, Then will descide if I jump off to Laos / Cambo.. Or a Issan / Cambo.. Or whatever takes my mood.

Not planning on being back in HKT until around 10th.

Well I got an assurance last night that the thing I needed cleared off my schedule will be done ahead of time.. So that was my last worry and now 100% on.. hel_l or high water I will be there. It would take a totally unforeseen event now to knock me out,,, that or predictions of 3 or 4 days solid rain :o !!

Also after the annoying screwup of the GPS order I blagged a unit off a mate as a loaner.. So sorted on that front too..

Will go and book the GF's flights HKT to CM and back.

Excellent. So, as I PM'd someone (forgot who, what with all the crap I have going on) dotcom and I are meeting up near/at his apartment. I'm rolling out of Samut Prakarn early, as in before the school kids are out and about. Suppose that I should be able to make it to 4 & 323 by 0900-1000 quite easily.

So, when are you folks arriving in Chiang Mai, and where will you stay?

I threw out that Downtown Inn, but if you're reconsidering letting us stay at your pad.....I am cheap charley number one. Reason I was looking at the Downtown Inn is that it was recommend as an inexpensive place that was pretty nice. If you have any other suggestions, don't hold them in.

Dave, all we have is a tiny, crowded downstairs room with a bed for one. My bf used to work at a place in the inner city that has its own restaurant, about 750 a night, cute rooms, safe. PM me if that is within your budget.

I was just jerking your chain about that. I'm not sure of the price of the Downtown Inn (if memory serves me correctly it is 800 THB/night), but your suggestion is definitely in budget. I AM cheap, but I don't like dumps.

Dave, all we have is a tiny, crowded downstairs room with a bed for one. My bf used to work at a place in the inner city that has its own restaurant, about 750 a night, cute rooms, safe. PM me if that is within your budget.

I was just jerking your chain about that. I'm not sure of the price of the Downtown Inn (if memory serves me correctly it is 800 THB/night), but your suggestion is definitely in budget. I AM cheap, but I don't like dumps.

Dave, here is a link to ThaiVisa list of hotels and guest-houses, with links to their websites. http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/chiangmai/hotels I could not find the one I was looking for, but there is no shortage. The Chedi starts at 12,000 baht a night...

Dave, here is a link to ThaiVisa list of hotels and guest-houses, with links to their websites. http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/chiangmai/hotels I could not find the one I was looking for, but there is no shortage. The Chedi starts at 12,000 baht a night...

Thanks for the link; I think that Maggy's place (even though it's a bit expensive during high season) is the ticket. This will be up in Hangdong, so closer to the twisty bits of tarmac.

Another choice that seems to be good, especially since I can sleep with planes buzzing overhead, is the Airport Resident.

Shoot me a PM about where your bf worked and I'll consider it. Anyone else wishing to chime in about suggestions will be listened to.

For a newish value for money hotel you might want to consider the Pangsawan

Out on the super highway near Huay Kaew, & sort of en route to the Sirinart.

I think anything downtown over bike week / the King's Birthday long weekend will probably be fully booked & overpriced.

For a newish value for money hotel you might want to consider the Pangsawan

Out on the super highway near Huay Kaew, & sort of en route to the Sirinart.

I think anything downtown over bike week / the King's Birthday long weekend will probably be fully booked & overpriced.

david, you're a source of information that dwrafs my nominal collection. I'll show the missus both of my selection and what you've just directed me toward and see which she likes.

If I wasn't already taken I'd ask you to be mine......

BTW, I have no preferences for route, length of trip and days away.

I'm 99% sure I'm coming.

Am riding XJR1300 . I'll think if I push it I can maintain the requested 90kmh:)

Also keen for the dyno on 20th but Am a little confused on actual details on this one.

Can I get someones phone number to discuss in more detail?

Trent

081 0905868

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tropical-Sto...rt-t223331.html

Gulp..

Been playing around.. If you have mapsource see what you think of this.. Obviously day 1 and start of day 2 is what I am setting up for myself.. Bit concerned day 2 timescale, maybe mapsource is just really conservative on speeds ? Its giving me 14 hours of ride time tho !!