• Up through Nakhon Sawan
    • Up through Suphan Buri
    • Up through Kanchan Buri
    • Up through Lop Buri
    • Up through Chaiyaphum
    • Up through Korat
  2. 2. Travel Time

• Bring it on, I can do it in one day!
    • Give my poor butt a break, let's stop for a night.
    • I know of a good hotel along the route that I voted for.
    • The route I voted for passes by my house and I'm offering a place for the riders to stay at.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just another fast one..

Still up here :D not exactly much choice with the current travel situation !! If I had known I would be extending the stay this much I would have got some more 2 and 3 day loops in, as it is there has been a bit of back and forth with airports and hotel changes.. Found a superb place for longer stay, deffo my CM base from now on.. enjoying CM immensely.

2 mates arrived on Sat, had a night touring the usual low spots :o.. If you think my choice of cross country machine was unsuitable, one of the guys rode phuket to CM, via korat and Mae Sot, on a XR with off road sprokets.. Top speed 120ish, cruising 100 and a tank probably dinkier than the red bandit. They are trying to squeeze in the Laos bit but had a tight deadline to be back in Phuket, full travel for them.

Did my CR run to see a mate, had a nice BBQ with another phuket refugee, done a few of the day loops and done touristy stuff like tigers and markets keeping the GF happy.. Off on another day loop in a minute. All in all been fairly flat out and busy. Need much more time to get under the skin of this region.

Depending on chaos I might still be up here when the lads return for bike week.. dont forget your thermals boys.. Its COLD at night.. Pleasant change from the never ending humidty of the south but I need more warmer gear.

So time to get back on the road.. Not been taking enough pics but will process what I have when I return, no time now.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like the only pieces that I'll be replacing are the plastic under the pillion and the front light.  The rest will be sanded down and resprayed.  Adding in some graphics and layering on some clearcoat until everything's smooth is the plan.

Saw a pic in one of the threads of a combo green and black color scheme which would take in the area you dinged up.. Looked good and made for a very individual look.

Maybe an option to make a plus from a minus.

Found a superb place for longer stay, deffo my CM base from now on.. enjoying CM immensely.

Great to hear you're having a grand time!

Hoping to see you when we ride up for the CM Bike Week.

Where are you staying now? We're looking for a decent place to stay near the old city. Last time we were at the Tawan Court, right on the Ping River. Good location, decent rooms, 700THB/night. They are booked full for the Bike Week so I've booked a couple of rooms for Trent and myself at another hotel in the old city- 8000THB/night with breakfast and pool. I know this place will be adequate, but if you've got a line on something special I'd love to check it out.

Happy Trails!

Tony

looks like the only pieces that I'll be replacing are the plastic under the pillion and the front light.  The rest will be sanded down and resprayed.  Adding in some graphics and layering on some clearcoat until everything's smooth is the plan.

Saw a pic in one of the threads of a combo green and black color scheme which would take in the area you dinged up.. Looked good and made for a very individual look.

Maybe an option to make a plus from a minus.

Yeah, that's the latest (2009) look; I don't care for it much.  I'm still searching for ideas that aren't too racerish, and am open to suggestions.

Found a superb place for longer stay, deffo my CM base from now on.. enjoying CM immensely.

Great to hear you're having a grand time!

Hoping to see you when we ride up for the CM Bike Week.

Where are you staying now? We're looking for a decent place to stay near the old city. Last time we were at the Tawan Court, right on the Ping River. Good location, decent rooms, 700THB/night. They are booked full for the Bike Week so I've booked a couple of rooms for Trent and myself at another hotel in the old city- 8000THB/night with breakfast and pool. I know this place will be adequate, but if you've got a line on something special I'd love to check it out.

Happy Trails!

Tony

I am staying outside the city out by the uni.. Nice area but not downtown.. 1 bedroom apartments 8500 per month or 4250 2 weeks.. Studio apartments (hotel room bedsit style) 4500 per month 2250 for 2 weeks.. Cable TV and fast internet included. Also found these real cool wooden houses (thats my base next time full now) for 10k per month..

Dont have any suggestions for downtown bargains mate.. Sorry..

Nice report, good to see you guys coming back in one piece.

My only objection would be scolding of dave_boo on open forum, that is a huge no-no, at least on true biker sites.

I'm afraid I didn't catch that scolding; but then again if you're to believe my tilak I am khwai tee-ahm.  And if it did happen I've dished enough to take it also.

I would not call it a scolding of Dave.

More like giving good advice from a fellow concerned rider.

After all we need fellow riders to tell us what we are doing wrong and also to keep us in check.

It helps to keep us alive out there on the black tarmac to Utopia.

After all we need fellow riders to tell us what we are doing wrong and also to keep us in check.

i agree, it wasnt a scolding.... it was a concerned fellow rider passing on good advice for all those interested to listen. At the end of the day its better to learn from somebody else's mistakes than to have to go through it yourself.

anyway enough said

Dave, LOVE the new look! i would definately go with the new green decal look. Im going to look into this myself to see if theres anything nice like that for my XJR...nice one!

i agree, it wasnt a scolding.... it was a concerned fellow rider passing on good advice for all those interested to listen. At the end of the day its better to learn from somebody else's mistakes than to have to go through it yourself.

anyway enough said

Dave, LOVE the new look! i would definately go with the new green decal look. Im going to look into this myself to see if theres anything nice like that for my XJR...nice one!

I assume you're referencing the third one of the set I put on the board?

anyway enough said

I assume you're referencing the third one of the set I put on the board?

correct, looks stunning. yes it looks race'ish but its a fast look!!! love it

Missed the trip due to getting hitched, but judging from the report..nice one lads...my little CBR150 would have been a bit weedy for the journey.

The Ninja was not on the market when I bought the Honda , and I feel an upgrade coming on next year. Maybe something to cruise properly on rather than a sport bike, but will have to test a Ninja!.

Cannot do the 5th December, but I really want to do a long distance trip ..might go solo on a rideabout in the new year, or if someone who could put up with a CBR's cruising speed would be interested, let me know...I tend to wring its neck for everything I can get out of it, but that would be 120ish. Glad you guys had a good one, hope the ribs get better soon,

happy trails,

PP

IRON BUTT Volume II :o

We had so much fun we're going to do it again!!! 8 riders confirmed so far-

Tony and Jim in Ninja 250R's, Trent on the XJR 1300, aka the T-rex :D (1) Harley (model unknown...), (1) CB400 SF, (1) CBR400, KhunDan on a ZZR1100 and we'll pick up his mate in Sing Buri on a BlackBird.

Depature from Bangkok on Friday December 5th at 0700 from the Beverly Hotel on Ratchadapisek.

BeverlyHotelRatchada.jpg

We will cruise to Chiang Mai in one go. Planned cruising speed ~130-150km/hr will get us there in about 7 hours with stops for breakfast, lunch, gas, etc. Folks who want to ride slower or take longer can make it a 2-day ride, stopping in Kamphaeng Phet or Tak or wherever you like.

Be gassed up and ready to ride at 0700 so we can blast out of the city before the traffic gets too thick.

Happy Trails!

Tony :D

Well after some unpredictable travel arrangements made it home.. Iron Butt 1 finally over for me with IB II (the son of Iron Butt) almost underway..

Will catch up with some pic processing and check the GPS for some total distance info etc.. Catch up on some bits in here.. Also get over and get the Bandit open heart surgery under way.

Sorry to miss you guys for the CM hop.. Next time.. Planning a month up in CM in late spring, too much there for a brief hit.

Hey LivinLOS!

Happy to hear the last of the Iron Butt crew made it home safely!

Looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing about your travels.

IRON BUTT II leaves tomorrow morning from the Big Mango to Chiang Mai for the Bike Week- 10 bikes in all; should be good fun!

I'll post again as time permits.

Hope you can get the Bandit sorted.

I'm looking forward to picking up a new ER-6N in January and may sell my Ninja cheap cheap for ~100,000THB. Anyone interested? :o

Happy Trails!

Hey LivinLOS!

Happy to hear the last of the Iron Butt crew made it home safely!

Looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing about your travels.

IRON BUTT II leaves tomorrow morning from the Big Mango to Chiang Mai for the Bike Week- 10 bikes in all; should be good fun!

I'll post again as time permits.

Hope you can get the Bandit sorted.

I'm looking forward to picking up a new ER-6N in January and may sell my Ninja cheap cheap for ~100,000THB. Anyone interested? :o

Happy Trails!

I thought that Ninja was going to be just a gateway drug.. Have to say the ER6 variants going to be about the best buy out there for legit purchases.. Tempted myself..

Prestbury why not come to HUA HIN on friday instead not such a long ride and there is a bike show.

Allan

Gotta knuckle down and earn some dollar, been kinda expensive this last month, so grafting online every night now until the new year. Will have to explore more locally meanwhile..but I can feel a real nice touring bike is somewhere in the not too distant future....

cheers, PP

As much as I LOVE the Yamaza FZ6 :o

fz6_black.jpg

Yamaha is asking 437,000THB for the FZ6 and as much as I love the bike I just can't justify the huge price difference when I can get the 2009 Kawasaki ER-6N for only ~290,000THB

ER6NBlack2009.jpg

My first mod will be a screen:

er-6n-windscreen.jpg

Happy Trails!

Heh heh- yeah- the cosmetic changes they made to the 2009 ER-6N are excellent. I honestly wasn't too hot on the look of the previous model and intended to modify the front end first thing.

If you don't have 300,000THB lying around could you finance one or if you can't get financing yourself could you do it in your gf's name? What a cutie, btw :o

I am def buying the Yammie FZ6 next year price supposed to drop around 50k baht and in that case it's around 380k yes much more still but with the 4 cyl 98 bhp and fairing I just HAVE to have it, and no I'm not selling my deep sounding Ninjette I love it to much. I was thinking of the ER but I already have a pretty angry 2 cyl and listening to Trent's T-Rex, the FZ6 with Acarpovic cans where you pull the extra baffler is just IT for me :o

Cheers Bard

Faired one looks lovely but i still gotta say the naked one leaves a bad taste. and guys thats me saying this when i run around on a CBR250 with a Sonic headlight slapped on the front :o So i know bad cos sh*t i made one meself.

Hello Boys and Girls! :o

A quick update from Chiang Mai.

The Iron Butt II started off much the same way as Iron Butt I :D

Left the Big Mango with 10 bikes, arrived Chiang Mai with only 6...

Great to be back in beautiful Chiang Mai. Blasted up from the Big Mango oin Friday. Left the Big Smoke with 10 at ~0800, arrived CM with 6 at ~1600... icon_wink.gif

No time to get into details just now, but here's a quick pic and there will be plenty more to come!

XJR1300, R1, Ninja ZX10, Ninja 250R (2 more Ninja's missing from the pic)

120508BikesSm.jpg

The guys on the rockets are pretty beat up and are taking today off to recover.

The rest of us rode the Sa Moeng loop this am and then met up with a bunch of GT Riders at IanBungy's X Centre this afternoon.

Happy Trails!