Kata Night-life, Or..........

Sir Burr

Thought I'd check out the Kata nightlife. For me, that's the area at the southern end of Karon and northern end of Kata.

Much to my surprise, the Happy Bar street of beer bars were gone, to be replaced by a new Soi with shops. A few of the old bar-owners had taken leases on some of these shops, so, saw some friendly faces.

Drinking in a shop-house bar is definitely not as good as drinking at a bar-beer. You don't have that feeling of being outside.

Not sure if I like this street, but, the old Soi was dying a slow, miserable death, so, it had to change. You should have seen that Soi twenty years ago; every bar packed.

I headed over to the Kata Centre area. Dead, dead, dead. The usual Kata low season.

Got a complete shock as most of the bars were selling a gin and tonic at 150 Baht. I can't believe the mentality!

In an Ago-Go in Patong, the same drink is 130 Baht with air-con and scantily clad pole-huggers supplied.

In Kata, my 150 Baht G&T was served desultrily by a lone harridan who just wanted to get back to her chicken and sticky rice. Christ knows how they think they're going to get away with these prices.

I lived in Kata for ten years and one thing hasn't changed. There isn't a single good bar in the Kata - Karon area that's worth going out of your way for. There are better bars in the Chalong - Rawai area with drinks at half the price.

Don't think I'll bother with another night out in Kata. Much more fun to stay at home and pick lint out of my navel.

Edited by Sir Burr

When I arrived in Kata some 12+ years ago we had 2 main bar areas, the Happy Bars and the one just past Kata Centre on the left side. Both were thriving back then, by 22.00 every night. By about 2001 both areas had died. Happy bars knocked down and now rebuilt and the ones in Kata Centre now knocked down, ready for a new building site. Just shows you all how the demographics have changed from mostly single guys to now mostly families/couples.

Just shows you all how the demographics have changed from mostly single guys to now mostly families/couples.

True.

Last peak season I was scratching a Mexican itch at the Blue-Fin at about nine in the evening. I noticed that every restaurant along Kata Centre was full and every bar empty.

Are you talking about Girl-y bars or any bars?

I like Ska Bar on the beach

Tapas and Wine on the new market road.

Beer is about 70 baht, and a bottle of wine starts about 690 baht.

Mee bar , in a shophouse, is still popular with some of the locals too.

I went to Karma Lounge once and that was ok too. Live band.

Edited by MisterMan

Can be either, or, neither.

None of the bars you mention have a nice location. If Ska bar is the reggae place on the beach, you still can't see the sea over the dune and there is a main road in front of it.

My two favourite bars "over-the-hill" are Tamarind 1 and Nikita Bar. Some of the bars in Rawai are surrounded by garden. Very nice.

None of the bars you mention have a nice location. If Ska bar is the reggae place on the beach, you still can't see the sea over the dune and there is a main road in front of it.

My two favourite bars "over-the-hill" are Tamarind 1 and Nikita Bar. Some of the bars in Rawai are surrounded by garden. Very nice.

Ska bar is the reggae bar RIGHT on the water; you cross over the urine creek and it is the most southern bar in the bay; great spot ;-) it is perched on the rocks at the southern end of the beach. walk along the beach all the way to the end and you'll find it. no dune I know of (but i only go in Dec).

Unless the band has been on radio and TV, I find Thai live bands working in small bars, pure torture and avoid them like the plague they are.

Ever been to the restaurant at Laem Phromthep? - the one with the nice view of the sunset, with tables and sunshades and a bloke twanging a guitar who should be thrown over the nearest vertical drop into the sea.

Never been to Kata at night. Only by day and that was to take a break from biking. It serves a different type of visitor. More sedate, yet romantic. Classier too, I think. In the dozen or so times I've been, there were none of the screaming drunks and pervs that one gets in Patong. Mind you it was always daytime and the icky types usually don't come out until the sun goes down. Kata is a place to go and relax. I took a girl for a picnic on the beach there once and it was nice and quiet. No pushy vendors, none of those guys that will stand around and stare at you. I reckon most people are there with their wives or girlfriends so there isn't much of a market for the naughty bars. Ok, maybe i'm just prejudiced, but I think that's what makes the area a pleasant change for some. I still love Karon though even if Kata is more seductive.

I think Kata and "nightlife" is an oxymoron :D

Some nice restauarants, but most of the bars are deserted and rightly so. The one opposite Mom Tris Boathouse is a bit of a dive, but nice staff.

A large girl called "Ying" runs it ...with her large brother, funnily enough called "Ooan" :o

I don't know whether you'd get away with having a nickname of "Fatty" anywhere else but Thailand! :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Ska bar is the reggae bar RIGHT on the water; you cross over the urine creek and it is the most southern bar in the bay; great spot ;-) it is perched on the rocks at the southern end of the beach. walk along the beach all the way to the end and you'll find it. no dune I know of (but i only go in Dec).

Was at the Ska Bar on the beach with some Russian friends who like their vodka. The bar owners would not allow us to drink the vodka we had brought. It's freakin Thailand, oftentimes Thais bring their own bottles and order up mixers and such, it wasn't like we were sitting there ordering nothing, we had beers on the way too.

The Ska bar people were so impolite about it, it was embarrassing. I'll never go back. A**holes.

The Ska bar people were so impolite about it, it was embarrassing. I'll never go back. A**holes.

Yes, that's my exact impression of the place. Tried it once many moons ago. We were a group of about 8 people. Many wanted Margaritas, so we ordered a large pitcher. Was early about 17.00, no other customers. Yet we waited over a half hour, despite my repeated prompts to hurry up. I'll never go back.

Was at the Ska Bar on the beach with some Russian friends who like their vodka. The bar owners would not allow us to drink the vodka we had brought. It's freakin Thailand, oftentimes Thais bring their own bottles and order up mixers and such, it wasn't like we were sitting there ordering nothing, we had beers on the way too.

Did you go to the bar with you own vodka???????

Never been to Kata at night.

You need to get out more. No, seriously.........

Watching the "icky" types is the evening's free entertainment ( please refer to Bogans in the Bangla - Hub of the universe thread).

What's that bar at the entrance to Nana Plaza called? Dog's <deleted> or Big Dog? Great place for people watching. :o

Ska bar is the reggae bar RIGHT on the water; you cross over the urine creek and it is the most southern bar in the bay; great spot ;-)

Was at the Ska Bar on the beach with some Russian friends who like their vodka. The bar owners would not allow us to drink the vodka we had brought. It's freakin Thailand,

Yes HDRider,

and I know that where I come from, and OZ and a lot of other places this is a no-no, but in Thailand (has been my experience anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) it's typically not that big a deal to roll in with your own booze.

Although I am not Thai (obviously), I have witnessed many Thais do this with no problem.

Ska bar is the reggae bar RIGHT on the water; you cross over the urine creek and it is the most southern bar in the bay; great spot ;-)

Was at the Ska Bar on the beach with some Russian friends who like their vodka. The bar owners would not allow us to drink the vodka we had brought. It's freakin Thailand,

Yes HDRider,

and I know that where I come from, and OZ and a lot of other places this is a no-no, but in Thailand (has been my experience anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) it's typically not that big a deal to roll in with your own booze.

Although I am not Thai (obviously), I have witnessed many Thais do this with no problem.

Hi

Well, i have not seen it, or i have been drunk or they dont do it where i go, i have a lot of friends there have bars here, and believe me they will not let people come with there own booze, or maybe you know how they should make money then.

well i learn some news every day.

Edited by HDRIDER

Yes HDRider,

Hi

Well, i have not seen it, or i have been drunk or they dont do it where i go, i have a lot of friends there have bars here, and believe me they will not let people come with there own booze, or maybe you know how they should make money then.

HDRider,

in your own local bar you are unable to roll in with a bottle of Jack and order mixers? Pouring drinks for the girls too?

Many small Thai eateries with limited booze stock will sell mixers & ice no problem. But this definately not the case in a restaurant with a well stocked bar, or an actual bar with a good range of booze.

Yes HDRider,

Hi

HDRider,

in your own local bar you are unable to roll in with a bottle of Jack and order mixers? Pouring drinks for the girls too?

HI

I have no idea, i would never do it, never, if i can’t afford to go out and buy a bottle of booze in a bar, i would stay home, if they don’t have the booze i want they will get it within a few minutes

Thought I'd check out the Kata nightlife. For me, that's the area at the southern end of Karon and northern end of Kata.

Much to my surprise, the Happy Bar street of beer bars were gone, to be replaced by a new Soi with shops. A few of the old bar-owners had taken leases on some of these shops, so, saw some friendly faces.

Drinking in a shop-house bar is definitely not as good as drinking at a bar-beer. You don't have that feeling of being outside.

Not sure if I like this street, but, the old Soi was dying a slow, miserable death, so, it had to change. You should have seen that Soi twenty years ago; every bar packed.

I headed over to the Kata Centre area. Dead, dead, dead. The usual Kata low season.

Got a complete shock as most of the bars were selling a gin and tonic at 150 Baht. I can't believe the mentality!

In an Ago-Go in Patong, the same drink is 130 Baht with air-con and scantily clad pole-huggers supplied.

In Kata, my 150 Baht G&T was served desultrily by a lone harridan who just wanted to get back to her chicken and sticky rice. Christ knows how they think they're going to get away with these prices.

I lived in Kata for ten years and one thing hasn't changed. There isn't a single good bar in the Kata - Karon area that's worth going out of your way for. There are better bars in the Chalong - Rawai area with drinks at half the price.

Don't think I'll bother with another night out in Kata. Much more fun to stay at home and pick lint out of my navel.

I was highly saddened to see that stretch of bars go as I had great times there 10 years ago.

But Kata is not bad for an evening drinking your head off with the slummiest and grottiest bar girls you can possibly encounter (and all others are in Patong); they also know that they have little chance of after-fun with me so we can all leave the hard-sell behind quickly and concentrate on the drinking and having a funny evening with lots of jokes: not much else left for them anyway. I cannot stomach their routine very often, but it reminds me sometimes of days where I thought this all as hilarious and exciting, it brings some of this feeling back.

For other than drunken backflashes, Kata has been unusable in the last 2 years, all the places that were really good for me then are gone a long time now.

While it IS Thai style to get a bottle (usually purchased from the bar) and SOMETIMES they can roll in with thier own its not normal and is the kind of thing reserved for Thai's, regulars of the bar, etc etc.. Just rolling into a tourist bar with your own booze is plain daft and being surprised at their reaction even dafter.

I have no idea, i would never do it, never, if i can’t afford to go out and buy a bottle of booze in a bar, i would stay home, if they don’t have the booze i want they will get it within a few minutes

Fine can you ask them to pop out and get some Patron tequila ?? Or perhaps they could get me some Powers Gold or Tullamore ?? As I havent found it in Thailand.

I am making the assumption that these guys had brought some special bottle unavailable on the island.

While it IS Thai style to get a bottle (usually purchased from the bar) and SOMETIMES they can roll in with thier own its not normal and is the kind of thing reserved for Thai's, regulars of the bar, etc etc.. Just rolling into a tourist bar with your own booze is plain daft and being surprised at their reaction even dafter.
I have no idea, i would never do it, never, if i can't afford to go out and buy a bottle of booze in a bar, i would stay home, if they don't have the booze i want they will get it within a few minutes

Fine can you ask them to pop out and get some Patron tequila ?? Or perhaps they could get me some Powers Gold or Tullamore ?? As I havent found it in Thailand.

I am making the assumption that these guys had brought some special bottle unavailable on the island.

I assume you do not know the Island that well I buy Patron , and manny other types that you would die for I guess , in Phuket town at a store that supplys hotels and bars.

You need to wake up and look for more than bar girls , try researching things a little , as you would at home there is anything hear you want .........you must look to find........

How about some directions then ?? A google earth KMZ or Google maps placemarker even..

I have been to all the booze supply ones out here on the west side with no luck... Best Tequila I have found was some in the deli..

Best irish whisky was sadly Jamesons.. Looking forward to a drop of Powers now.. So where do I go ???

You may have noticed tho we were mentioning a bar not having the good stuff, hence bringing your own.. I still dont know of many Thai bars that stock a wide range of quality bottles.