I Wonder If It Could Still Be Done?

actiondell4

A few years ago on here,i posted a story on a interesting elderly Australian man that I had met in Jomtiem who lived in Thailand.

I think he was about 74 yo or so at the time. He was a regular at a small cafe i went to.

Anyway the old blokes story was that he got divorced because of alcohol problems when he was in his 50 s,and finished up on Government housing,paying about 20% of his aged pension on his Govt housing rental accomodation.

He had moved to Thailand only about a year before ,and had moved from a Govt housing apartments in the notorious Sydney suburb of Redfern.

He told me stories of people trying to dodge junkies in the stairwells and not venturing outside after dark ,apparently even during the day is bad,but the final crunch came ,so to speak was he was attacked by a group of youths who stole his groceries,apparently he put up a fight which they then bashed him apparently.

He then decided to follow his friend who had previously retired to Thailand.

At the time he was paying i think 5 or 6k per month rent for a studio in jomtiem ,he was getting a Australian aged pension of around 30,000 baht a month.i think it was about 1100 australian dollars a month or similar at the time.

He told me lived a far happy life and was content within himself,he ate fruit from the markets,cooked his own meals in his studio and did not drink alcohol ,reformed alcoholic,nor did he smoked.

He went to some bowling lawn bowls ,went to his friends cafe and walked everyday.

He said at most times he still had a lot of money left over every month.

He was very fit for probaly what he had been thru.

I told him i would find his life boring,but he told me at his age,he preferred to meet his friends everyday,read books,and walk and go fishing and life was a lot better than previously although he missed conveniences.

The thing is,i wonder if it still could be done,i mean i havent see the guy for a few years,but i doubt jomtiem studios will be the same rent and the aussie pension hasnt gone up much,also i noticed on my last visit that fruit is actually more expensive than aussie prices,one apple in Tops at 20baht ? ,about 70 cents australian? you can get a kilo in aussie supermarkets for around $3.00.

I wonder if you can still live on 30,000 baht or has Thailand changed so much for the govt pension retiree.

I dont know if the old guy is still there,probaly died of boredom,but if he is,he must be finding it very tough.

Edited by actiondell4

Yes you can do that. No Barlife, no car, no lady, just a motorbike maybe. Jomtien Ban Sua Lalana have Condos for rent below 5'k. But u have to consider, as a farang you have visa expenses. Thais don't do. 30 grand maybe not enougt if you want support a lady or even their family.

I think you could have a nice life. I pay 5k rent on a 3 bed 2 bath house in Buriram and there are places for rent sub 2k. As you'd spend quite a lot of time at home, some UBC at 1.5k is probably a good investment. Food costs could average Bt200 a day and with bills for electric and the like you're probably on 10k a month. That leaves 20k a month for spending, not a fortune but approximately £400 and a lot of people don't have £400 a month to fritter away.

In Pattaya I would say no... In Chiang Mai, I would say yes.. Cut the 1.5k for UBC and spend it instead on a faster internet connection and you have your TV and Movie fix over the net. Shop at the local markets instead of Big C, Tesco, etc.. Its a buyers market in Chiang Mai now, as rents are down. Mode of transport is required, so bike or car. Basic lifestyle but easy and comfortable.

This is not MY lifestyle for sure as I have a wife, babies, and family.. But I often think that it would be bliss to be bored and broke. Dont get into bed with a large family and you can do it easily.

Yes, it is very possible in Pattaya. Resisting temptations would be the hardest part, not just the bars but the expensive and good food options as well. Also, you don't need a car in Pattaya if you live near a baht bus route. The risk factor would be medical care as the expat hospitals here have gotten out of hand in their greed.

Edited by Jingthing

I believe the biggest problem is that the Aussie dollar is now way down.

So, he would have to live on less.

But, sometimes less is more.

THe happiest people i've seen in life seem to be the poorest (in the Himalayan mountains)

What do you need? A roof over your head and food. (and warmth in the Himalayas, but not Thailand)

Life is priorities.

Up in Issan, 30k baht a month, well, you could put some in savings.

Yes, it could still be done especially at that age. That said, you would have to take an effort to balance a budget. Things are fast becoming more expensive in Thailand. Take Bangkok Post as an example, in 2002 it was 20 baht, 2005 it was 25 baht and now it is 30 baht. 50% "inflation" in 6 years. Lots of daily consumer items on the supermarket shelves have followed a smilar trend.

Robert

Well Thai people can live on 30 k per month ok but most of us do not have a Thai passport. If you have savings and were set up with own place to live and Visa in place and you only need this as living it could be done. But consider insurance may be 50 k or more car costs Ubc only thai food(better any way) and as for the beer may be once a month a good blow out no phoneing home internet the list goes on. But if not set up good luck.

I think we are kidding our self If we can say here for ever on that coin. As most off us know the savings would be gone pretty quick to then back to Redfurn or the caravan park in Waga Waga dreaming of the past

blue

If we leave rent out of the equation or assume you have already bought your home/house/condo then the following monthly guideline is good:

$1000 is enough for basic needs, rent a motorbike, food and travel by bus/train to different beaches and go out for beer on weekends.

$1500 will give you a bit more freedom. Travel all over the country, have fun in BKK and not worry about cost to much.

$2000 this will give you a top of the line quality life including car, good food, travel by plane/car with your gf to nice resorts around Thailand. One trip back home to farangland a year.

As others have pointed out, this is still completely possible in Thailand, and even in Pattaya. Anything between US$ 1k-2k per month and you will be fine. Of course, one will adjust their lifestyle to whatever budget they have and what is important to them.

His more immediate problem would be his pension likely is now way below the minimum required for a visa extension for retirement purposes, due to the sharp fall of the AUS$ vs. the baht. Unless he has the 800k for a bank deposit, he would be forced onto the visa run merry-go-round or forced to return home.

As for expenses rising, sure, as everywhere, but it's easy to make adjustments. Like the rise in the newspapers...no problem...most cafes/restos have copies for customers to read, free wi-fi in many places now too. Gas is almost as cheap as it was when I came here a decade ago so the budget can expand for other things. As for expensive apples (or any other item) just adjust your consumption of "expensive" luxuries and how many apples can one eat in a month anyway.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Medical care is the big question mark. If you can accept gov't hospitals (go out to Sirakit, Banglamung, etc.), then yes, you'll be okay. If you expect to be treated at say Bangkok-Pattaya or Samitivej... you can spend 30k in a couple of days, -sometimes PER day depending on what you have- there easy.

:o

I live in Pattaya, and am fortunate enough not to have to budget too closely, but I am interested in what you need, for me having a cushion of funds in the background is the most important thing, so as not to stress about money, without thinking about it too much I live on about 40,000 a month, including high rent and buying a pickup:

Finance Car: 9,600

Rent : 10.000 (2 bed townhouse)2 air, furnished.

Power : 2000

Water :300

Funds to family : 5000 (not every month, but averages out)

= 26,900

Leaves food and entertainment, we eat out sometimes, when we want to, play pool, go to movies, run a CBR 150 for fun, I give GF 4000 a week to pay for stuff

and seems to cover it mostly.(ok, 44.000pm).

Of course there is insurance, annually on the car and health policies, very pricey, but live without a vehicle, or have a bike and use taxis sometimes, 30,000 for a singlebloke,

easy and comfortable, if your choice is here or wherever "there" may be, give me here on 30k, but with the proviso I have backup funds, or occasional chance of going back to work to topup, thats my peace of mind living here anyway, different for everyone of course.

Let's do a rough calculation (monthly figures)..............

Medical (everyone sees this as an issue) THB4000 (insurance with Blue X)

Rent THB5000 (cheaper up country, of course)

Utilities (electric/water - assume a/c) THB4000 (it is a small room - so that is on the high side)

TV & Internet (assume the full monty) THB3500

Food (not cheap charlie) THB6000

Clothing THB2000

Visa various costs (no visa run) THB500

TOTAL THB25000

Which leaves you THB5000 a month for entertainment; not a lot, I'll agree, but definitely possible, given the pursuits mentioned earlier. The fact is that if you are getting on in years and living in farangland, what do do? You read the paper, read some books, watch the telly and you go for a pint. Some people are assuming the lure of the nightlife has to be considered - maybe, maybe not. If you want that, 30K won't do it, that's for sure, but otherwise, it is very possible, I think. More possible than living in Oz on AUD1200 a month or UK on GBP360 a month, that's for sure.

Of course his Oz pension is worth a lot less now.......................

I have my own house,car,motorbike,private medical,fire insurance and 3 of us live in 10,000+ or - per week.as one poster said if you have some money in the background you feel safer.also i have spent about 40,000 baht on my car,respray,suspension etc etc. and its like brand new again lol.

My step son is in a small private school and we want for nothing,and my life is brilliant compared to working 12 hours a day in the uk,life is bliss.

always makes me laugh when some uk friends ask if i get bored,then i do piss myself laughing,as thats the only thing they think about.

the answer to the original post is if you are on your own,living in Pttaya i would think its much better to live here on 30,000 a month than still working in uk but you realy need health insurance if one hasnt got money put to one side.

I dont know about every body else, but under the new rules

my water bill is paid by the Thai goverment,(i have not paid a water bill since august

and my electric was 735 baht this month but i only pay 218.02 baht,

on average i pay out 17000 baht each month that includes car payment,rent, and ubc and internet,

and we can live on 3000 a week (but we choose not too ) or should that be (she chooses not too)

colino

I couldn't tell you what the Australian Govt Pension was at the present time, I don't get one. However I do live in Thailand on 30,000THB per month & do it easily.

I don't have a car, just a motorcycle BUT I don't have much use for a car either so I would rather jump in a taxi if I don't want or cant go on the bike for some reason. Shopping wise I goto Lotus once or twice a month to buy household products & pick up the heavy stuff by taxi, the rest of the fresh food comes from the markets every few days. I would say that we eat 70% of our meals OUT & 30% @ home. There is two of us, a cat and a dog all living off the money. I have a 3 bedroom house (rented), I run 2 aircon units (when hot), I have UBC-Gold, telephone/internet, I have healthcare, insurance on my motorcycle....all still covered by the 30k per month.

Neither of us drink or smoke....however the GF has a fascination with talking on her mobile telephone...yap yap yapping all day long. I like coffee, so not a day goes by where Im not off to one of the various coffee shops to indulge. We often go racing around up country, most of our trips being done in luxury minibus.

The GF is always buying new clothes, heading off for facials, hair this hair that....still can't spend the 30k per month. I consider myself fortunate because if I needed to I could spend alot more that 30k per month, but with the world economy in such fantastic shape I would rather save a bit of dosh for the uncertain tommorrow.

In Australia, 30,000 thb is about $1200 per month (give or take a few for the ever changing FX rates) & $1200 burns a hole in your pocket in no time at all.

Anyway, the OP asks if it can be done, you bet it can, im doing it easily.

If we leave rent out of the equation or assume you have already bought your home/house/condo then the following monthly guideline is good:

$1000 is enough for basic needs, rent a motorbike, food and travel by bus/train to different beaches and go out for beer on weekends.

$1500 will give you a bit more freedom. Travel all over the country, have fun in BKK and not worry about cost to much.

$2000 this will give you a top of the line quality life including car, good food, travel by plane/car with your gf to nice resorts around Thailand. One trip back home to farangland a year.

Even presuming USD as your $ calculations, Bt70,000 ($2000) will not provide a life as you describe. The lifestyle you describe is way north of Bt100,000 a month.

I think 90% of bar owner in Pattaya live on a LOT less.

Having had bars for years I don't think you are right but not completely off the mark either. If we accept that the budget killers are booze and women then having a bar means drinking at cost and not retail and the money never actually goes through his pocket. If you have a missus then she likely helps out and thus gets her allowance or salary paid by the bar. Actual cash is reduced by these two amounts which could be way north of 50k a month if spent elsewhere. Chuck in the 30k we are talking about for rent and food any the lifestyle looks like it is funded on 30k but is more likely well over twice that.

EPG.

I think 90% of bar owner in Pattaya live on a LOT less.

That is a very good and probably very true observation,, :o:D:D

See above reply.

You could do it in Pattaya easily.

Rent - 5k

Food - 5k

Utilities - 3k including internet and UBC

Insurance - 2k (basic but something)

No visa because over 50. If under, then about 3k a month

Other stuff - 2k

Leaves you 10k+ to spend or save. Even on Sio Khaotalo you can booze Heineken at Bt70 or so with every 6th one free making it about Bt60 a pop. Cheaper for the other beer of course but 6 for 5 deal still applies. No need for transport as excellent market on the doorstep. Travel once a month or so to Carrefour for a big shop and get them to deliver.

Better than blighty in December for sure !

Most of the expat guys from Jomtien know a guy who lives on $650 per month Social Security. He has a motorbike and knows every free feed in Jomtien and Pattaya. He's been here quite a few years and he seems to enjoy life. Obviously he doesn't live big but what would he do if he lived somewhere else?

The exchange rate has really affected some people I know. A few guys have already lost their long term partners as they cant "take care" as much....if you think about a 30%- 355 reduction in exchage rates, cost of living increase and now exceptionally low interest rates, I would think the average retiree is about 50% down on a few years ago....so this guy would be living on the equivelant of 15,000 a month...can be done but more anexistance than living...the next year or so will see a lot of relationship breakdowns etc....

The exchange rate has really affected some people I know. A few guys have already lost their long term partners as they cant "take care" as much....if you think about a 30%- 355 reduction in exchage rates, cost of living increase and now exceptionally low interest rates, I would think the average retiree is about 50% down on a few years ago....so this guy would be living on the equivelant of 15,000 a month...can be done but more anexistance than living...the next year or so will see a lot of relationship breakdowns etc....

yes this is a good point,g/f or wife maybe have to work,the biggest problem is the interest rate reduction of nearly 50% thats halved earnings back home.the exchange rate too when topping up account.personally have had to stop the idea of lots of trips,other than that everyday living ok.

Yeah if you have replaced your hooker girlfriend's bar earnings with those of your own.

If you have asked her to stop her normal job then you have probably just replaced her salary and she probably has more of it left anyway than when she lived alone.

If you had a normal girlfriend who had her own job then you may have to trim your cloth a bit but I see no need to have her leaving for that reason.

In any case, if someone leaves because times get a little tight financially, then they are not worth keeping anyway.

Yeah if you have replaced your hooker girlfriend's bar earnings with those of your own.

If you have asked her to stop her normal job then you have probably just replaced her salary and she probably has more of it left anyway than when she lived alone.

If you had a normal girlfriend who had her own job then you may have to trim your cloth a bit but I see no need to have her leaving for that reason.

In any case, if someone leaves because times get a little tight financially, then they are not worth keeping anyway.

Exactly as this accounts for 99% of the mixed relationships in Thailand :o