Getting Started

Merry Christmas!

I'm a 55-yr-old American SWM who wants to retire in Thailand. Have read and re-read book by expat Michael Ziesing on living cheaply in Thailand, and am wondering if it is still possible to do so on $1000 US per month. (Book was published in 1996). I plan to try to get a triple- or double-entry non-immigrant visa, with hopes of becoming a permanent resident in time. I should be able to do 400,000 baht in bank with at least 32,500 baht coming in per month to fulfill the requirement.

I do not require the overseas American lifestyle (big car, farang diet, golf membership, etc). In fact I do not plan to ship a car, or for that matter any belongings at all except for some books and music at a later time. Hope to rent maybe a small 1- or 2br furnished apt in Phuket or Pattaya and buy a computer where I can pursue my writing lifestyle. I have an English degree with teaching experience and may possibly teach ESL (which will surely require a work permit). Also plan to take a course in Thai if such is offered. I have lived overseas for 10 years of my life and find that I am more comfortable with foreign lifestyles than I am in the States. The Thai way of life appeals to me and I would like an expert opinion as to whether $1000-$1200/month is enough to live on. I don't need many amenities. Thanks for reading my post

Dan (aka "fireflickker")

Merry Christmas!

I'm a 55-yr-old American SWM who wants to retire in Thailand.  Have read and re-read book by expat Michael Ziesing on living cheaply in Thailand, and am wondering if it is still possible to do so on $1000 US per month.  (Book was published in 1996).  I plan to try to get a triple- or double-entry non-immigrant visa, with hopes of becoming a permanent resident in time.  I should be able to do 400,000 baht in bank with at least 32,500 baht coming in per month to fulfill the requirement.

I do not require the overseas American lifestyle (big car, farang diet, golf membership, etc).  In fact I do not plan to ship a car, or for that matter any belongings at all except for some books and music at a later time.  Hope to rent maybe a small 1- or 2br furnished apt in Phuket or Pattaya and buy a computer where I can pursue my writing lifestyle.  I have an English degree with teaching experience and may possibly teach ESL (which will surely require a work permit).  Also plan to take a course in Thai if such is offered.  I have lived overseas for 10 years of my life and find that I am more comfortable with foreign lifestyles than I am in the States.  The Thai way of life appeals to me and I would like an expert opinion as to whether $1000-$1200/month is enough to live on.  I don't need many amenities.  Thanks for reading my post

Dan (aka "fireflickker")

Where in the US are you located ? Ummmm whatever is a SWM ?

Merry Christmas!

I'm a 55-yr-old American SWM who wants to retire in Thailand.  Have read and re-read book by expat Michael Ziesing on living cheaply in Thailand, and am wondering if it is still possible to do so on $1000 US per month.  (Book was published in 1996).  I plan to try to get a triple- or double-entry non-immigrant visa, with hopes of becoming a permanent resident in time.  I should be able to do 400,000 baht in bank with at least 32,500 baht coming in per month to fulfill the requirement.

I do not require the overseas American lifestyle (big car, farang diet, golf membership, etc).  In fact I do not plan to ship a car, or for that matter any belongings at all except for some books and music at a later time.  Hope to rent maybe a small 1- or 2br furnished apt in Phuket or Pattaya and buy a computer where I can pursue my writing lifestyle.  I have an English degree with teaching experience and may possibly teach ESL (which will surely require a work permit).  Also plan to take a course in Thai if such is offered.  I have lived overseas for 10 years of my life and find that I am more comfortable with foreign lifestyles than I am in the States.  The Thai way of life appeals to me and I would like an expert opinion as to whether $1000-$1200/month is enough to live on.  I don't need many amenities.   Thanks for reading my post

Dan (aka "fireflickker")

Dr. Pat: I think SWM is "Single White Male".

Forgot to add that he is SWM, but probably not "Single" for long if he moves to Thailand. :o

Edited by Ken

Merry Christmas!

I do not require the overseas American lifestyle (big car, farang diet, golf membership, etc).  In fact I do not plan to ship a car, or for that matter any belongings at all except for some books and music at a later time.  Hope to rent maybe a small 1- or 2br furnished apt in Phuket or Pattaya and buy a computer where I can pursue my writing lifestyle.  I have an English degree with teaching experience and may possibly teach ESL (which will surely require a work permit).  Also plan to take a course in Thai if such is offered.  I have lived overseas for 10 years of my life and find that I am more comfortable with foreign lifestyles than I am in the States.  The Thai way of life appeals to me and I would like an expert opinion as to whether $1000-$1200/month is enough to live on.  I don't need many amenities.   Thanks for reading my post

Dan (aka "fireflickker")

Forgot to add that he is SWM, but probably not "Single" for long if he moves to Thailand. :o

Army abbreviations :D

Only place I have seen those abbreviations is in dating advertising.

1. You can not obtain PR on single or multi entry non immigrants visas. And making plans to use this type of visa back-to-back may not be possible in the long term - and would almost surly require an expensive overseas trip each year even now.

2. You can not obtain extended stay in Thailand with 400k in a bank account unless you are supporting a Thai wife.

3. You can not import without paying tax unless on an extended stay.

4. Retirement extension for those over 50 you do not qualify for without 800k in bank and/or income of 65k per month.

5. The amount you cite - currently a little less than 39,000 baht per month, is livable but remember to take out expense for health insurance, visa, and paying more for everything because the tourist in the area you plan to live has no problem paying inflated prices during their shot stay.

You do not mention if any of the 10 years overseas were spent in Thailand but if not I would urge you to come for an extended vacation before you make final plans. If you really can live on 40k per month, and many can, it may be fine. But you are not likely to obtain PR or any real feeling of stability I fear.

Merry Christmas!

Dan (aka "fireflickker")

He's held off so far. But, nevertheless, how long before he takes the plunge ? :D

It is catch 22 situation here.

$1000 a month is a reasonable amount to live on if you are single and lead a quiet life, but it is not deemed to be enough to get a year by year visa. For that you need $1600 a month, or $40,000 a year.

If you marry a Thai lady, the visa requirement goes down to $20K a year, but the living expenses go up.

$1000 a month is a reasonable amount to live on if you are single and lead a quiet life, but it is not deemed to be enough to get a year by year visa.  For that you need $1600 a month, or $40,000 a year.

If you marry a Thai lady, the visa requirement goes down to $20K a year, but the living expenses go up.

At the current exchange rate of "about" 38.93 Baht=$1 USD, then retirement amount of 80,000 Baht monthly income would be about $2,055 USD or 800,000 in Thai Bank would be $20,550 USD for the year (or a combination of both).

And if married to a Thai, then you would "half" the above amounts, making it about $1,028 per month or Bank account of $10,275 per year (or combination of both).

No?

$1000 a month is a reasonable amount to live on if you are single and lead a quiet life, but it is not deemed to be enough to get a year by year visa.  For that you need $1600 a month, or $40,000 a year.

Two can live as cheap as one but only for half as long :o

• 1 month later...

Has been a month since I posted -- thanks to all who answered especially Lopburi

Have decided to keep working for now in USA (spec., Seattle). Based on your comments and further research I have done, I fear I might run out out of money in Thailand even tho I lead what you would call a "quiet life" no smoking, hard drinking or carousing. Will consider it again in a few yrs altho I'm sure cost of living will have gone up -- I will have more $ however.... Caribbean is another option I speak Spanish & German and teach ESL. Any ideas? USA just too expensive and dangerous anymore

fireflickker