Hotel Taxi Deterrant

Wellington

I should be interested to know if the experience of friends last week in Kata is normal.

We had advised them not to use the hotel taxi from the airport as the charge was a whacking 1400 bht

we got them a private friendly taxi who we have used now and then who charges 700 bht.

When asked to collect them for the return trip a week later our man said he "cannot"

as the hotel would not let him in their forecourt to collect our friends,

who are elderly and did not want to walk down the road with luggage.

This seems like refusing the hotel's guests a fair choice

and is it legal?

As it was a small "boutique" hotel of repute and standing I am puzzled by this.

Seems to me that the Hotel is protecting it's interests, they have the facility and want to charge 1400baht for the taxi, which is their perogative. It's your choice if you choose this service or not.

By not allowing your taxi driver on their private forecourt they are getting rid of their inconvenient and cheaper competition which is their right to do so since it is private property.

Long term, I don't think this will be an advantage to them when their customers find out about the overcharge and they could even find that they go and stay elsewhere in the future. Short term, a nice little extra earner.

As mentioned by another poster, the hotel is perfectly within its rights to charge what they like, and exclude any or all competition. By the same token, the public has an equal right to know what those policies are before committing to stay there. There's nothing malicious or slanderous about publicly quoting a business's policy, provided its not mis-stated.

Charging 1,400 baht per trip is not simply covering their costs so that they can provide a reliable private car service to their guests. I would be far more sympathetic toward the hotel if they chose to charge a reasonable rate and exclude competitors so that they can control quality of service.

Sounds like the BH, but really it couldn't be as the taxi could just let you off right outside the hotel on the street.

Elderly do not want to have to walk ten yards with luggage into a street which is narrow and hazardous

They were not prevented from the inward journey .

You can check rates quoted in the web site of the you guessed right hotel.

And I started going there in 1993, and am fond of the place, but do not like to see friends ripped off.

Hi am a Newbie,

We was only charged 750 bht for two people one way in a private taxi to patong . And we thought that was ok.

Well as a newbie it was only about 300 more than a meter taxi or 200 more than a fixed price airport limo should have been.. So I guess if thats OK with you its OK..

I should be interested to know if the experience of friends last week in Kata is normal.

We had advised them not to use the hotel taxi from the airport as the charge was a whacking 1400 bht

we got them a private friendly taxi who we have used now and then who charges 700 bht.

When asked to collect them for the return trip a week later our man said he "cannot"

as the hotel would not let him in their forecourt to collect our friends,

who are elderly and did not want to walk down the road with luggage.

This seems like refusing the hotel's guests a fair choice

and is it legal?

As it was a small "boutique" hotel of repute and standing I am puzzled by this.

I love this forum!!! :o

Hi am a Newbie,

We was only charged 750 bht for two people one way in a private taxi to patong . And we thought that was ok.

Turn right as you go out of the terminal and walk to the end.. There are red and yellow meter taxis there. Cost to Patong is about 400-450 baht.

Turn right as you go out of the terminal and walk to the end.. There are red and yellow meter taxis there. Cost to Patong is about 400-450 baht.

I think that the issue here is about getting a taxi from the hotel to the airport ..... :o

Yes and I quoted the message I was replying to which was about travelling the other way.

Hi am a Newbie,

2 weeks ago they added a surcharge of 100 baht at the airport taxi stand to my fare. They were honest and up front about it. Told me when I went to the counter, told me 2 minutes later and reminded me as I got in the taxi. I went into Patong 550 baht (meter running plus surcharge). For me same quality as the airport grey sedan without the 50-50 chance they stick you in a mini van.

As for refusal to allow private car to collect guests, that is crap. (Not the story but the attitude.) I have a right to ask anyone I want to come and collect me. They want to play that game, then screw them. It is also illegal to the best of my knowledge. If a hired car is not soliciting it is most definitely allowed to collect the client. Of course, the reality and the law are 2 different things. Good way for hotel to get a bad rep on sites like tripadv.......

I've got wonder about the validity of the OP's story if he or she won't tell us the name of the place. Why are u being so cryptic? "It's small and on the beach" doesn't help much.

Actually I guessed it and the OP confirmed it.  What expensive eating place with the initials BH in it and on the beach in Kata do you know of?  I only know of one place.

I've got wonder about the validity of the OP's story if he or she won't tell us the name of the place. Why are u being so cryptic? "It's small and on the beach" doesn't help much.

if you had read post 7 and 10 you would have had the answer!

if you had read post 7 and 10 you would have had the answer!

Sorry, I don't live in Phuket, so I 'don't what place the initials "BH" stands for. (And did the OP confirm that guess?) There was also mention in posts 7 to 10 that it might be another place, Kata something. Although I don't live in Phuket, I'd like to know the actual name of the place so that I can avoid it when visiting the island.

Edited by Beacher

I know this establishment well and I can assure you that the taxi driver was for whatever reason talking rubbish. The taxis sometimes park in their parking lot if there is space available. They are also parked out on the street next to the main entrance of this hotel.

I know this establishment well and I can assure you that the taxi driver was for whatever reason talking rubbish. The taxis sometimes park in their parking lot if there is space available. They are also parked out on the street next to the main entrance of this hotel.

You've obviously got the wrong hotel

There are no taxis parked outside The BH

The road is too narrow

and our driver was not talking rubbish.

Another example of rip off Phuket....with the current economic climate I suppose they have to charge such extorciante prices to compensate for the lack of business.....when oh when are the people of Phuket going to learn...sentiment is beginning to become very thin these days for the island

Last year when prices were near their highest, we went from Patong to Kata Noi for 300bhat, multiple times, new private taxis. Same rates for going to Phuket Town or Central. 500 to and from the airport (to Patong).

If the hotel forbids its guests to be picked up at the door, then I must agree with geriatrickid: "that is crap."

No way to put it any better or kinder.

I'd also second his recommendation about posting on Tripadvisor or such sites.

This should not even be a consideration......The taxi fare is too expensive, after a guest has paid for 1 or 2 weeks accomodation, probably eating in the restaurant and drinking in the bar, they should at least be able to get a reasonably priced taxi. it is a ridiculous amount to pay.....the whole tourism industry in Phuket has become blind with greed, and that greed is lead by stupity. There is a worldwide recession....most tourist destinations are plying for business not giving out the wrong impression as this hotel surely is.

Could they not ask the taxi to park in the street, then offer a member of hotel staff 100b to lug their bags to it?

This is possible however it might get the member of the hotel staff fired :o:D

Or offer the driver a decent tip to help with the bags.

Could they not ask the taxi to park in the street, then offer a member of hotel staff 100b to lug their bags to it?

This is possible however it might get the member of the hotel staff fired :o:D

Or offer the driver a decent tip to help with the bags.

Have just checked web site of hotel; prices quoted as follows;

Airport transfer by limousine (1 to 3 Guests) 1,400 Baht per way

(service charge and government tax included).

Airport transfer by van (4 to 7 Guests) 2,400 Baht per way

A taxi would not stop in the road outside as immediate traffic congestion would ensue and he would not be popular.