Honda Navigator

kerr17

I don't know much about navigator and I never actually seen one in use although i thought it was wise to have one installed on my new Honda CRV as I'm not really familiar with Bangkok street despite being here from long time already.

I would just like to share some opinion and advice with some other people already using it.

Is it really helpful?

I've been using mine since January 2006 in Bangkok and love it, I have a Garmin Nuvi 310.

If your TOPIC here is about the Technology and NOT about the brand, then YES... it's absolutely worth it.

My experiences:

- You need to learn the tech. You can't just buy it and use it without reading the manual. If you don't understand the tech, you'll end up hating it for the wrong reasons.

- I'm on the highway/roadway and realize I'm running out of fuel... I do a quick search on nearest fuel stations and it will tell me what/where there are.(*different GPS brands will give results differently but the end result is the same). I've done searches on restaurants, etc...again.. depends on GPS brand.

- I'm stuck in traffic and want to take a different route... should I take the soi up ahead?... Look at my GPS and do a quick assessment. Taking new routes beats sitting in traffic and can, at times, be entertaining.

- Went to a friends home for the first time... how can I remember how to get there the next time?... SAVE it on my GPS !!!

- Friend asks how to get to (insert place here), if she/he have a GPS here are the coordinates (insert coordinates here). If no GPS, (insert lengthy directions here).

- GPS maps do need to get updated. It's entirely up to you when you want to update them. ESRI releases updates about once a year for a fee.

- GPS brands/types: Hand-held...you can take it with you. Fix-type...you cannot take it with you. Pro's and Con's for both, I have both. If you have questions, ask them... I'll try to answer them.

- TIP: buy one that you CAN upgrade. Ask how and who upgrades the map and how often.

I've been using mine since January 2006 in Bangkok and love it, I have a Garmin Nuvi 310.

If your TOPIC here is about the Technology and NOT about the brand, then YES... it's absolutely worth it.

[snipped by noahvail]

- TIP: buy one that you CAN upgrade. Ask how and who upgrades the map and how often.

Thanks for the great info! I'm not the OP, but just starting to look around for one, and you've helped a lot!

[snipped by noahvail]

Thanks for the great info! I'm not the OP, but just starting to look around for one, and you've helped a lot!

Glad to help... Correction, I've been using mine since Jan 2007 not 2006.

From 74 pounds in UK how are they so expensive here? Must be something to do with the maps right?

I bought my Garmin Nuvi 260W here in New Zealand 4 months ago and it cost me about 8,500 THB at the exchange rate at the time.

I have also bought the all Thailand map from Rottweiler GPS maps. It is very good but unfortunately I am back in NZ until July. :o:D

Thanks all for the great info especially Indothai.

One thing i would like to know:

there is a way to choose an highway instead of a normal urban road to reach a destination or viceversa and how?

I can't find it on the manual.

If you have the Garmin, then it should be in the Settings - Navigation section, choose either Shortest or Fastest.

Caution with BKK roads: If you choose Shortest, it may route you through soi's too small for your car. I've been through one where I had to fold my side mirrors on my CRV to get through. --- always be prepared to reverse out of a soi :D It was fun, beats sitting in traffic, and now I know which soi to avoid in the future.

Important tip: LOCK your GPS unit, it should have a security function to put a password on it... learn how to do it, and DO IT. Last thing you want is your stolen unit with your HOME and all your Favorite locations in the wrong hands. :o

Happy driving.

there is a way to choose an highway instead of a normal urban road to reach a destination or viceversa and how?

If you have the Garmin, then it should be in the Settings - Navigation section, choose either Shortest or Fastest.

Caution with BKK roads: If you choose Shortest, it may route you through soi's too small for your car. I've been through one where I had to fold my side mirrors on my CRV to get through. --- always be prepared to reverse out of a soi :D It was fun, beats sitting in traffic, and now I know which soi to avoid in the future.

Important tip: LOCK your GPS unit, it should have a security function to put a password on it... learn how to do it, and DO IT. Last thing you want is your stolen unit with your HOME and all your Favorite locations in the wrong hands. :o

Happy driving.

Thanks for the useful advices.

Does you or anyone else know how to watch DVDs and enable TV not only when the handbreak is on?

Is it also true that in the case of accidents insurance will not cover you at all? (Is it really possible for them to find out it was enabled at the time of the accident?)

I'm not unresponsible, I'm actually opposite, i just tough that would be nice to watch some dvd when stuck for long in the traffic or for my misses to watch it while i'm driving long distances.

Happy driving.

Thanks for the useful advices.

Does you or anyone else know how to watch DVDs and enable TV not only when the handbreak is on?

Is it also true that in the case of accidents insurance will not cover you at all? (Is it really possible for them to find out it was enabled at the time of the accident?)

I'm not unresponsible, I'm actually opposite, i just tough that would be nice to watch some dvd when stuck for long in the traffic or for my misses to watch it while i'm driving long distances.

So you got the Honda head unit.

- It is possible, but before Honda disables this safety feature, they may request you to sign a waiver. I had to do it.

- You may want to ask your insurance company about this.