The Lounge

Zzinged

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai, falls asleep on the pillion so doesn't get on the back - yippee!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Holy s**t I thought mine was the only one who did that. I know the little kids do it on the scooters, but this one fell asleep on the back of the Duc between Hua Hin - BKK! I had to keep slaping her leg to keep her awake. She couldnt understand what I was worried about. :o

Beaches019.jpg

I'm sure you won't get much change outa 1.6mil baht here in thailand!

they have an R version at the Thonglor ducati shop.......you ready for the price???? have a seat.....2.4mil

so, let's get a couple

Yeah thats a 1098R they have. If you wait for the 1198S you will be buying something that is very similar to the 1098R BUT you will only have to pay somewhere around 1.5-1.6 mil. Amazing prices! When you order yours AntR1, can you please order AND PAY for mine. Forever your best friend :o

I was trying to find out what they would be selling the 1198S for is that an official price in Thailand or a guesstimate, that seems close to the current price of a 1098 now curous.

HH

Sefton. Are you telling me that the gov't approved inspection stations in Phuket would fail this bike because of a modded tail light? How would they know?

This WILL pass in BKK. 100%.

I am not trying to say this is countrywide, I dont believe it is.. But yes Phuket is now once again showing itself as the least friendly bike province in the country and refusing transfers on machines that have mods no matter what the quality of the mod..

As I am streetfightering a blade and customing it up, I know it will not sell in Phuket under these rules.

Don't see how that wouldn't pass inspection, unless they (for some reason) demanded everything be factory spec and original (chances of that happening ?).

Thats exactly what they are demanding.. They just refused a Tx on a bike with an LED cluster (inc indicators) and bar end indicators for a double system.. Despite it being a clean, legal (in the west) and well done conversion they wouldnt let it go and the guy is now fighting to get a legit tail light cluster at high expense simply to tx.. How thats going to play with the Thai custom chopper crowd I have absolutely no idea but this was all done without me showing my white face in there as I was pre advised of the problems.

I bought a bike with a damaged fairing, getting it in my name has been hellish and required inside contacts, simply for a mildly broken fairing.. They also brought the machine out into the sun and took many many digital photos of it, whether thats to make a database of bikes v models, or to check next time it transfers against this time or what I cant tell.. When I suggested to the agent he go slip him a couple hundred baht the guy looked at me with scorn, "he want 5000 maybe 10000" !! For a mildly cracked fairing !!!

The laughable thing is tho, I called a Thai lawyer, whose a merc driving, IPhone using local.. She calls her inside contact on a sunday, emails them the scans of the docs, and someone from the DMV drove to my house to take the engine rubbings !! So obviously rules for some are not rules for all !! Was due the book yesterday actually so hope today to hold it in my grubby little mits.

What is it with Phuket ? It seems all the bad biking news is coming from there lately. Maybe they don't like the annual Phuket Bike Week or something ? Some local official lose a mia noi to a biker ?

I don't think the Thai guys with customized bikes are going to be too worried about doing official transfers and inspections though. A lot of them probably aren't registered to begin with, and the deals are done "under the table" so to speak (no official paperwork).

If they start doing road-side inspections though, that would open a whole new can of worms. :o

Well Kerry, for starters....Phuket customs and DMV are two of the most corrupted govt departments in country.

There lies answer to your question.

Makes me glad I live on the other side of the puddle (for now) ! :o

I could also remind people that when the 3 nation charity ride was done down here.. Phuket police / customs swamped them, thai and farang alike and took all the unregged harleys.. I am told Sunem (west coast) got it haggled out but the total bill was still over a million baht to get them released, guys paying 30plus k each !!

Easy payday for the customs dept and nice class act to pull on a charity bike ride !!

I should add this is info I was told not happened personally so ???

As to Thai riders with unregged bikes.. Not down here they dont, its plated or pulled and its not just a few 1000 baht to get it back.. If the coppers see it as a valuable bike it might never been seen again.. Theres roadblocks on major junctions every couple of days. Unregged bikes are simply impractical here, you wont last a month.

It is a bit depressing to see how they restrict it tho, for legality and plates OK, those are the rules and I can live with it, but this idea that bikes must be manufacturer standard ?? Come on !! If I put bar end mirrors and turn signals, remove a fairing, etc etc.. Its cant be sold ?? Thats a bit of a joke considering the vehicles on Thai roads no ??

they have an R version at the Thonglor ducati shop.......you ready for the price???? have a seat.....2.4mil

so, let's get a couple

Yeah thats a 1098R they have. If you wait for the 1198S you will be buying something that is very similar to the 1098R BUT you will only have to pay somewhere around 1.5-1.6 mil. Amazing prices! When you order yours AntR1, can you please order AND PAY for mine. Forever your best friend :o

I was trying to find out what they would be selling the 1198S for is that an official price in Thailand or a guesstimate, that seems close to the current price of a 1098 now curous.

HH

I'm writing a short article on the 1098R right now. On my way over to Ducati Thailand, I'll ask about the 1198 - the 1098 is actually 1198cc. Maybe I'll get to test ride it :D

It is a bit depressing to see how they restrict it tho, for legality and plates OK, those are the rules and I can live with it, but this idea that bikes must be manufacturer standard ?? Come on !! If I put bar end mirrors and turn signals, remove a fairing, etc etc.. Its cant be sold ?? Thats a bit of a joke considering the vehicles on Thai roads no ??

I understand your frustration LivinLOS- sounds like Phuket is a tough place for bikers these days.

When I lived in Japan they had extremely strict (and expensive) vehicle inspections every two years (Shaken) and your car or bike had to be 100% functional and 100% original. This is a big reason why you hardly see any old cars in Japan.

What this meant in real life was that every two years we had to remove all mods and restore our vehicles to their original condition in order to pass. For foreigners like me I thought it was a hassle, but the Japanese never thought twice about it, because that's the way it's always been done. In fact it became kind of fun to tear down and rebuild my old CBR600 every two years for the inspections.

At any rate- the moral of the story is- think twice before you make irreversible mods to your car or bike. As long as you keep the original parts and can restore your vehicle to original condition you should be ok, even in Phuket. (Until they change the rules again!) :D:D:o:D

Sounds like BiB has figured out the tourism is going downhill and try there best to find sources for income, probably scare off more expats to other provinces but that is thinking ahead which they never been good at. Thank God in Rayong there are virtually no tourism and none of that crap.

Cheers Bard

I saw a link a while ago leading to a Thai motorbike site that had some info on locally made non-leather saddlebags. I can't seem to find that link again. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hiya Zzinged- this place has some decent gear at good prices: http://www.mocycshop.com/

I think this is where LivinLOS bought his saddle bags and he seemed pretty happy with them.

Trent got his saddle bags at the Paddock: http://www.paddock.co.th/osc/index.php

A bit overpriced and scratched up his fairings, but worked well otherwise.

I quite like this shop: http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com/ Located on Lad Phrao Soi 53 (also called Soi Chok Chai 4 I think). They have a lot of GIVI cases and other bags in stock and are super friendly and competitively priced.

Did you get your XJR1300 sorted out? Are you going to the Udon Thani Bike Week?

Hope to see you there and look forward to meeting you!

Happy Trails,

Tony

so, let's get a couple

HH

HAWK, I havent even been able to find out what price the 1198S would be going for in Oz & havent even bothered to attempt here, because I know I won't part with 1.5mil baht for the bike & its bound to be more than that, the current 1098 is 1.55mil from memory. Even if I won 2mil tommorrow, in these financial times I would invest that money, not buy the duke. Having said that I would spend the coin to get one back in the homeland, even if I didnt get to ride it that often.

Initially, I wasnt expecting too much from the 1198 over the 1098, but have since changed my mind. From what I read the 1198S is going to be such an awesome ride, people that have forked out recently for the 1098R will be shedding tears. I just can't wait to see what they offer in a 1198R, in due course - and despite the fact I won't be owning one, I can still have sweet dreams, can't I?

If you get any confirmed info, I would be glad to hear it. CHEERS!

so, let's get a couple

HH

HAWK, I havent even been able to find out what price the 1198S would be going for in Oz & havent even bothered to attempt here, because I know I won't part with 1.5mil baht for the bike & its bound to be more than that, the current 1098 is 1.55mil from memory. Even if I won 2mil tommorrow, in these financial times I would invest that money, not buy the duke. Having said that I would spend the coin to get one back in the homeland, even if I didnt get to ride it that often.

Initially, I wasnt expecting too much from the 1198 over the 1098, but have since changed my mind. From what I read the 1198S is going to be such an awesome ride, people that have forked out recently for the 1098R will be shedding tears. I just can't wait to see what they offer in a 1198R, in due course - and despite the fact I won't be owning one, I can still have sweet dreams, can't I?

If you get any confirmed info, I would be glad to hear it. CHEERS!

According to early reports, 1198 is in class of it's own, way advanced compared to 1098. They also introduced ducati traction control but on S version. I read somewhere there are so many improvements on this model, resulting in highest torque to weight ratio of any production sport bike ever manufactured.

Cro,

The 1098R has a traction control system HOWEVER, it is totally controlled by ignition being killed, so the problem with a bike set up for road use is that at the time the ignition is cut any unburnt fuel gets dumped into the exhaust system, which would damage the catalytic converters.

On the 1198S, the fuel injection is stopped instead, the interruptions happen at very high speed and the supply is constantly restored then interrupted again, so the ducati traction control action is very smooth....APPARENTLY the difference between the 1098R & the 1198S is staggering.

The Ducati Traction control electronics are very advanced measuring engine revs, throttle position, gear selected etc & does all of this to determine if the rear wheel is beginning to spin by more than a specified amount....when it exceeds this, the torque at the back wheel is reduced by reducing ignition.

Interestingly the new 1198S, still does not have a slipper clutch, but one is available as an option, I've heard around $1800USD....probably something worth having on a bike as high tech and powerful as this one.

They look awesome...truely SEX on wheels. Sorry im very bias!

Cro,

Having said all of that above.....I don't know how anyone is claiming that the new Duke 1198 is the most powerful to date regarding its claimed 168hp & weight of 169kg (for the 1198S) when the Duke 1098R is 180hp and only weighs 165kg.

Also regarding the exhaust systems on the 1098R, in full race trim with the Termignoni pipes there is no worry about the cat convert problems....BUT in most places the BIB will be right on ur tail (from what ive heard).

By special request.

Pic 1 running light

TailLight_Feb_03_2009002.jpg

Pic 2 running light & brake light - not a great deal of difference but you can see it. Will be more dramatic at night.

TailLight_Feb_03_2009003.jpg

Sefton. Are you telling me that the gov't approved inspection stations in Phuket would fail this bike because of a modded tail light? How would they know?

This WILL pass in BKK. 100%.

DOTCOM,

I only just went back to page 4 & saw your tail-light. That looks great & I can definately see the difference with the brake light on....naturally it would look brighter in person. Is there a reason why you don't also have the top light near the rear grab rail hooked up OR are you going to do away with it?

After some of the <deleted> ive seen on the roads here, I can't believe the BIB would honestly be giving someone with a pristine bike a hard time over some LED lights. I passed a bike the other day & bits of it were held together with zip ties....it had no muffler, no lights, faring missing, buckled wheels & was blowing more smoke than a chain smoking granny. I am sure he stops at the gas station and says, "top up the oil and check the gas" & it just cruised past the BIB who were stopping people without hats on.

Just got back from Thong Lor- there were a few Thai guys looking at the 1098R- I've met these guys before and they could plunk down the cash if they wanted :o (terry - our pals from bang saen bike week)

The 1198 is supposed to arrive in June or July - one 1198 and one S. price will be 1.198M for the "tamada" and another 400,000 for the S. Chum- the manager, told me yes, the S is a special bike, but it's not an R - the 1098R is loaded with titanium, carbon fiber, and that exhaust system, hence the higher HP and lower weight. But for 900,000 thou less, I'd go for the 1198S, spend the savings on a Paul Smart. But unless I got a very rich old and sick uncle somewhere I don't know about, none of that is gonna happen. Anyway if I had to be totally honest, both the 1098R and 1198S would put me right on my a**. But dam_n nice bikes to look at.

Did chum actually happen to mention if hes ridden either of the bikes. I'm not being critical of him BUT it sounds like a very salesman type pitch.

I have just been reading an article written by Kevin Ash, who has tested both the 1098R and the 1198S & whilst the 1098R is some 12hp more powerful & 4kg lighter than the 1198S, after all the refinement given to the new bike & the extra cost of the R, I think he leans towards the 1198S.

It will be interesting to see what the 1198R offers, won't it?

post-62652-1233737639.jpgpost-62652-1233737649.jpg

Hi guys just look at what some Thai's do....lovely green to puke colour....BAD TASTE or what :o:D

What are your thoughts. if ya like it it's on mocyc for 95,000b.

Its listed where? I'm imagining its the bike on the right???? If it looks that bad I wonder what else they have done to the poor thang?

True tho, for a few thou, you can have it repained & some stickers & bingo.

Thats bloooody aweful :D:D:wai::D:P :jerk: :burp:

I dare not even immagine!!!

CRO,

I have gleened some information about the Ducati 1198R from the net, from a guy who has already put his order in on one in the UK.

Ducati have not officially released any info on it yet.

But, a leak has stated that it is 5kg lighter than the 1198S (169-5=164kg). Dressed in street gear it boasts 180HP, however when the racing exhaust system goes on they are talking close to a 200HP figure.

Anyway, I guess figures like that might not surprise us really when you think about it. I'm not sure about it going from 180HP to 200HP with just an exhaust HOWEVER, thats only 10%, so it might not be that far off the mark.

Can't wait to see that.....I'll probably be the first bloke arrested in the ducati shop for dribbling on the paintwork :D:D:o:D

PS: We need an errection emoticon :D

Heres the pic thats been bantied around...I don't know?

1198rum3.th.jpg

Edited by neverdie

I dare not even immagine!!!

CRO,

I have gleened some information about the Ducati 1198R from the net, from a guy who has already put his order in on one in the UK.

Ducati have not officially released any info on it yet.

But, a leak has stated that it is 5kg lighter than the 1198S (169-5=164kg). Dressed in street gear it boasts 180HP, however when the racing exhaust system goes on they are talking close to a 200HP figure.

Anyway, I guess figures like that might not surprise us really when you think about it. I'm not sure about it going from 180HP to 200HP with just an exhaust HOWEVER, thats only 10%, so it might not be that far off the mark.

Can't wait to see that.....I'll probably be the first bloke arrested in the ducati shop for dribbling on the paintwork :D:D:o:D

PS: We need an errection emoticon :D

Neverdie,

About exhaust and extra HP, you never know....

I hooked up my Busa with twin Akrapovic and gained 12 HP. There are no words to describe sensational feeling when this bird of prey accelerates. Few pics....

P1040250.jpg

P1040497.jpg

P1040376.jpg

P1040382.jpg