Skytrain To Connect With Thonburi On May 15

sriracha john

Bangkok Governor : Extended Thonburi electric train line launched May 15

Bangkok Governor affirmed the extended Silom electric train line spanning to Thonburi, western side of Bangkok, would be unofficially launched for service on May 15.

Bangkok Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paripatra said during his inspection of extended Silom electric train line spanning from Thaksin bridge and Thaksin road on Thursday (February 5) that Mr. Teerachon Manomaipubul, Bangkok Deputy Governor, has reported progress of the construction for the extended line to him.

While Mr. Chumphon Sampaothong, Director of Traffic and Transportation Department, Bangkok Metropolitan, also conducted site survey and reported progress of construction of the project which also indicated that the 2.2 kilometres extended route would definitely be opened for service on May 15.

The test run for the system would be held on April 13. The unofficial launch on May 15 would be open for service free of charge until August 13 when riding fares would be imposed at the rate of between 15 and 40 baht per trip.

The Wong Wian Yai station, the main station for the extended line, would be equipped with full facilities, including those for the disabled and the aged people, such as elevators, footpaths designed exclusively for the impaired eye sighted people.

Shuttle bus station which could accommodate up to over 100 buses would also be available at the spot.

- ThaiNews / 2009-02-06

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whooohooooo whoooohoooooooo!!!!! Finally!!! I can get around. But anyone know where the terminal in Thonburi will be? Will it be across the river from Saphan Taksin, or will it go further into Thonburi?

i believe there are 3 stations on the other side of the river, the problem as I see it though, is that it is not easy getting on the thing at rush hour now, can't wait until they let 50,000 more people an hour on in the mornings when they open this route and the one on suk.

When will the new rolling stock arrive from Germany I wonder?

<snip>

When will the new rolling stock arrive from Germany I wonder?

I noticed 5 new trains parked on the new section of line out towards swampy yesterday.

Last I heard (about a year ago) that they're running a loss so don't have $$ or rather baht to finance new trains :o

I noticed 5 new trains parked on the new section of line out towards swampy yesterday

Isn't is a airport link project? It has its own test run a few days ago, it has nothing to do with Thonburi BTS extention.

Even different thing, it would be also good news.

I was referring to the rolling stock question. If they have trains for the airport link there's a good chance they have some for the Thonburi link too.

Different operating company. Airport link and its trains belong to SRT.

I was referring to the rolling stock question. If they have trains for the airport link there's a good chance they have some for the Thonburi link too.

Using that logic, why don't they just use the trains from the MRT? :o The airport link is powered overhead while the bts is powered rails.

Brilliant. I can go to Thonburi now.

Its like a whole new world has unfolded. What's there?

I am there and a lot yellow shirts

I thought you lived in the Austrian Tyrol.

Sorry to disappoint you on that.....

What's in Thonburi? Nothing much, just a generic built up area. There were some very big and dodgy looking snooker/karaoke bars that scared the shit out of me.

On older maps there are only words "Dragon lives there".

Not forgetting Mr Happy Toilet's dad's clan. :o

I too noticed the new trains on the new rail line out near the airport passing by the other day. They do have a different design and paint scheme because, they are for the different line, the future Suvarnabhumi to Phayathai airport line.

Entirely separate operation from the future Thonburi expansion of the Silom Skytrain line, which is run by BTS.

I have a friend who works as station staff for BTS, and she hasn't been told anything about the timeline of the expansion opening... But I'll see her later today, and ask again about that... But I too would be surprised if they make it on the news reported schedule.

BTS (Skytrain) and MRT (subway) also have been talking/promising for a long time to adopt some kind of shared/joint pass/ticketing system, so riders don't have to continually purchase different tickets and passes for the two systems. But not much has come of those promises as yet either.