Police Corruption. Is Possible To Reduce It?

WernerS

I have been subject of a number of events in where a Police stops my car (specially by business car with a Thai driver) for no reason other than "to look for a reason, whichever it can be".

In many ocassions I have followed the "roi deao poho" method, and in all of them it has been demonstrated that this was the reason why I was stopped in the first place.

I am concious that with accepting this stuff I am just allowing it to prolifetare, but I want to do something about it. I know that this is a concern of many authorities in Thailand and even the King has demonstarted it.

I have been thinking to send a letter to the Police Department each time it happens, describing details. I assume that this will discourage some corruption.

Does somebody knows a formal way to complain?. Any idea? :o

this is the sort of thing thaksin should be sorting out if he wants to impress the thais and the west

police corruption needs to be tackled

an example of fine thai police work

a friend's ex husband was murdered by thai mafia-he played the field with the ladies....he was attacked and hit several times in the face with a machete-the police report read that he'd fell off a chair

if this guy had been earning in excess of 1 mil tb a year then i think that maybe the cops would have looked for a suspect...but as the family had no money they(police) didn't want 2 know :o

Ask yourself if you really want to end it?

Have you ever been pulled over on a minor discretion and be able to pay your way out of a potentially troublesome visit to the Cop Shop with a few hundred Baht? These things have a funny habit of evening themselves out.

:o

Yeah, it works both ways.

My friend Jim built a house in Bangkok. Happened to be next to a high-rank Thai police officer. Over the years Jim and this officer have shared many bottles of whiskey. A couple of years ago Jim got pulled over by two Thai traffic cops. His Thai wife was with him. Jim was ready to do the payoff thing, but his wife insisted that Jim was not wrong, and that he shouldn't pay. When she told them they lived next door to this Thai police officer, the two Thai cops immediately got very cowed. They left with apologies to Jim's wife, and wais to both Jim and his wife.

Apparently the word got around, and Jim hasn't been bothered since.

It pays to have friends in high places.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Isn't the usual way of dealing with it - when you think you're in the right, to ask for a receipt...

(Like the piece of paper you're supposed to get on the expressway to show that the money you handed over didn't go into the pocket of the person in the toll booth.)

Lee Quan Yew is a dictatorship, he tell you when to eat and when to take a shitt, you think there is no corruption in Singapore, think again, this country is the biggest corruption of all, when the government control you how they please, you can't even talk about the government, when people don't know who they are, they can basicly do what ever they like, yes he can creat a wealthier country, but look at the size of his country, the size of a bugger. Thailand is a 100 time bigger a 100 time more responsibility, 100 time more complaint, and ofcourse 100 time more money to feed the people.

thank but no thank, i rather take Mr.T over Yew anytime

:o

Ask yourself if you really want to end it?

Have you ever been pulled over on a minor discretion and be able to pay your way out of a potentially troublesome visit to the Cop Shop with a few hundred Baht? These things have a funny habit of evening themselves out.

absolutely right, and even if they want some money (for no apparent reason) - by talking in a nice way to him you can keep it to a reasonable amount or even nothing.

I was stopped once travelling way too fast (around 150) and after a few words he was willing to accept some money instead of the official way with office etc, "up to you" so I thought : not too much, but not too little - maybe 200 is just right?

Guess, what happened? - he gave me 100 back, " I just wanted something to buy a water" - isn't this a nice story, and I swear, it is true!

Therefore, whenever I get stopped, I think, maybe he really needs a little help, and it makes me not poor.

Just depends, how you look at it.

Lee Quan Yew figured it out, but he was a lot smarter than Thaksin, and his interests were in creating a wealthier country of people, not a wealthier self.

Lee Quan Yew has become very wealthy in Singapore - how wealthy nobody really knows but certainly capable of paying for a exclusive 747 to bring his wife back from the UK when she has a suspected stroke about a year ago. Interesting that his wife is also a shareholder in many of Singapores most financially well of companies. However even taking that into account, I'd say Singapore has a pretty good balance and the prime factor seems to be their choice to pay public servants VERY high salaries to mean they become wealthy by doing their job correctly and without the need to look for other avenues of income which is what typically happens in Thailand. Lets face it who would go into Politics here unless they were either rich and wanted more influence or who were poor and wanted to use that influence to become richer.

I have been subject of a number of events in where a Police stops my car (specially by business car with a Thai driver) for no reason other than "to look for a reason, whichever it can be".

In many ocassions I have followed the "roi deao poho" method, and in all of them it has been demonstrated that this was the reason why I was stopped in the first place.

I am concious that with accepting this stuff I am just allowing it to prolifetare, but I want to do something about it. I know that this is a concern of many authorities in Thailand and even the King has demonstarted it.

I have been thinking to send a letter to the Police Department each time it happens, describing details. I assume that this will discourage some corruption.

Does somebody knows a formal way to complain?.  Any idea? :o

Well, I guess everyone’s experiences vary, but I have only been pulled over once for being a farang and I didn't pay anything for that, I just waited him out. The other 3 times I was pulled over, I had indeed done something wrong and was more then willing to pay (200 baht) to avoid the hassle. I have never been pulled over when being driven by my driver in company car.

In the last six months or so, I have noticed a major enforcement effort by the traffic police, particularly against drunk driving and unregistered/uninsured vehicles.

Not counting a daily commute, I probably drive almost 2KM a month outside Bangkok.

TH

Lee Quan Yew figured it out, but he was a lot smarter than Thaksin, and his interests were in creating a wealthier country of people, not a wealthier self.

Lee Quan Yew has become very wealthy in Singapore - how wealthy nobody really knows but certainly capable of paying for a exclusive 747 to bring his wife back from the UK when she has a suspected stroke about a year ago. Interesting that his wife is also a shareholder in many of Singapores most financially well of companies.

The 747 was fitted with additional medical equipments, with necessary medical staffs.

Beside this, I believe it was a "normal" flight.