Where Are The Street Maps For Phuket

boatboy

Yeah, JBkk, thought the same.

You have no doubt seen the kerfuffle over Googles pix, complaints etc.

Guess this site is not as well known....

Yes, some people in an up-market residential area blowing up the Google van - or maybe just throwing some cucumber sandwiches at it - as they didn't want all the thieves from a nearby sink estate to use it to plan their next outing. :)

I actually saw my local bar in one of the pictures. I say "my local" but I haven't been there for a couple of months. I went there yesterday and it was empty. Hello "Summer Season". :D

Edit:

I just discovered you can drag the pictures and get a 360º view! Brilliant! My "local" is there, but not the mini-mart next door or the Indian restaurant, so must be quite old pictures but the idea is great.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Guest Bellini

Boatboy is right when he says that it is difficult to find an address in Thailand on Google Maps. There are simply too many transliteration systems around. I can think of a dozen different ways of writing Wiset.

Google Maps uses street names and house numbers. Very rarely, if ever, does it use Moo or Mu.

Google attempts to use the Thai Royal Institute transliteration system. I hope they remember not to apply it to names that have traditionally been transliterated in deviation of that system, like Sukhumvit and Pattaya.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_General_System_of_Transcription

www.royin.go.th/upload/246/FileUpload/416_2157.pdf

In fact, it may have been I who put them up to using that system. A Google employee spoke to me about the problem of transliterating Thai geographical names and I gave him the above links.

For many place names, there is the question whether to write the name in one word or more than one word, eg Chiang Mai or Chiangmai.

Edited by Bellini

Boatboy is right when he says that it is difficult to find an address in Thailand on Google Maps. There are simply too many transliteration systems around. I can think of a dozen different ways of writing Wiset...

I can think of four: Viset, Vised, Wiset, Wised.

What's the other 8 then? :)

...Google attempts to use the Thai Royal Institute transliteration system...

I don't know how they end up with "Mango Teen" instead of "Mangosteen" - top of this picture:

gallery_35489_952_223667.jpg

I've seen Sai Yuan spelt "Sai Yaun" and "Sai Yorn" on street signs.

Still looking for "Sigh Yawn".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bellini
I don't know how they end up with "Mango Teen" instead of "Mangosteen" - top of this picture:

Perhaps because the original, Thai street name is not Mangosteen?

Really what is it then ??

Thought it was Soi Mangosteen.. Are you saying its something else, that also sounds kinda like mango teen ??

Really what is it then ??

Thought it was Soi Mangosteen.. Are you saying its something else, that also sounds kinda like mango teen ??

In Thai its Soi Mangoteeen. Can not pronounse the s in between. Where is Sensan (Central) shoppingsenter? Navigation by charts in Paradise :) I love it

In Thai, they call it "แมงโก้ทีน" - Mangoteen : no "s" anywhere. So it's not that they don't pronounce the 's', they simply didn't put it in:

gallery_35489_952_50485.jpg

So I reckon a Thai national supplied to Google the English name (Mangosteen) transcripted into Thai, thereby not including the 's' (because a Thai wouldn't pronounce it), and then Google transcripted it back into English, not realising that it should be 'Mangosteen', not 'Mango Teen'.

Or I could be wrong. :)

In Thai, they call it "แมงโก้ทีน" - Mangoteen : no "s" anywhere. So it's not that they don't pronounce the 's', they simply didn't put it in:

gallery_35489_952_50485.jpg

So I reckon a Thai national supplied to Google the English name (Mangosteen) transcripted into Thai, thereby not including the 's' (because a Thai wouldn't pronounce it), and then Google transcripted it back into English, not realising that it should be 'Mangosteen', not 'Mango Teen'.

Or I could be wrong. :D

I think you are absolutely right. And this is what happens when farang make english names for most of the sois in Rawai :):D

Anyone seen Inspector Clousso in Pink Panter trying to say amburge (hamburger)? :D:D:D

...this is what happens when farang make english names for most of the sois in Rawai :):D ...

One of my ambitions is to meet "Bert", whose name is now recorded for posterity in "Soi Bert" - not far from "Soi Mango Teen". :D

...this is what happens when farang make english names for most of the sois in Rawai :):D ...

One of my ambitions is to meet "Bert", whose name is now recorded for posterity in "Soi Bert" - not far from "Soi Mango Teen". :D

Isnt there a Soi Rainman (Raymond) too? :D