Retirement Visa

I am 54 y.o. American and planning to apply for a retirement visa thru the LA consulate. Have reviewed their site for requirements and have the following confusion:

1. A min. 18-month validity of your passport is required. I am currently in Thailand and by the time I return home and obtain the necessary documenation to submit the visa application, I will be a few weeks (about 3) short of the 18-month validity of my passport. Any suggestions on how this can be dealt with? I have emailed the LA Thai Consulate twice but have received no reply!

2. US bank statements of available funds - Is this limited to only bank accounts? I have less than the 800,000 baht in my bank account, but have much more in a brokerage (mutual funds) account. Are statements from brokerage firms acceptable?

3. According to the LA Thai Consulate website, a one-year stay can be requested at Don Muang Airport based on the issued 3-month, single-entry, non-immigrant visa issued. Is this tru?

Thanks for any advice and info you can offer.

1. Get a new passport.

2. Doubt that they will accept it unless it is a cash account and they may not want to investigate. I would get the money into the bank prior to application and return after if you want.

3. If you obtain and O-A long stay visa you will receive a one year permission to stay stamp on entry (but make sure you do as officer might not catch it).

Edited by lopburi3