Bike Trip

Jareb

Last year I rented a bike on Phuket and it wasn't supposed to be taken off the island (which I didn't) - thanks for the info on that, by the way.

This year I want to do the same, but where should I rent? If I rent in Krabi or Phang Nga, how far are they allowed to go? Also, which would be a better place to tour around for 4 or 5 days?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You have almost no options for Krabi or phang nga rentals..

Best either find one that allows a longer journey or risk having to get the bike back yourself if theres a problem.

other areas have rental options.. But you seem to be looking only at the south ??

This year I want to do the same, but where should I rent? If I rent in Krabi or Phang Nga, how far are they allowed to go?

I don't believe that the insurance will restrict you. Barring accidents, where you will probably find yourself paying for the repairs, mechanical problems can generally be fixed without massive expense, or, in the worst case, you might have to organise transport back to the rental location. No more than 2 to 5 thousand Baht should sort that out.

Also, which would be a better place to tour around for 4 or 5 days?

Without a doubt northern Thailand. You could easily do the "famous loop" from Chiang Mai up to Pai, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sariang and back to CM in this time.

Last time I was there Ao Nang, Krabi, had loads of bikes for rent, from the small scooters to Phantoms and Steeds.

Khao Lak, Pang Na has a few rental shops, but not many bigger bikes.

Last time I was there Ao Nang, Krabi, had loads of bikes for rent, from the small scooters to Phantoms and Steeds.

Maybe I should have said.. No bikes I would want to rent :)

Been a while since I was up in ao nang, maybe theres more of a rental scene than I thought, but compared to phuket patts or CM its slim pickings for big bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you and thanks for your replies.

I'm only looking for something small, so it sounds like I won't have a problem finding one.

As far as why I'm not going north - the simple answer is because it's too cold. I'm escaping winter and don't want to have to wear a sweater or long trousers for my entire trip (I will be doing some more interesting riding in central Vietnam) - 5 weeks split between Thailand and Vietnam.

Any ideas where to go? Surely there has to be places for good photography or interesting sights in those areas.

I'm escaping winter and don't want to have to wear a sweater or long trousers for my entire trip (I will be doing some more interesting riding in central Vietnam) - 5 weeks split between Thailand and Vietnam.

Um, so you'll be riding scooters around 3rd world countries wearing t-shirts, shorts and flip flops? :)

Good luck with that and don't forget the old saying- There's those who've been down, and there's those who are going down! :D

Then again, some people think road rash and missing toes are cool... :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

Ok FULL protective gear then :) . i do hope that you are going to at least wear a helmet while you are riding.

Always.

I don't suppose you have anything constructive to add regarding routes to ride, do you?

Edited by Jareb